International Avocado arguement

Rc2702

Just now, Kadilo said:

Me and my other half are the other way round. I can’t be assed most of the time and she haggles away for discounts. Each to their own. 

I think it is lazy on her part and foolish and If the Mrs cannot engrain the need for seeking a good deal in her then that accepting idea without trying will spread and I can't have it.

• Sad 1

On 9/18/2018 at 3:42 AM, mstevens said:

I'm all for standing up for principles / a price that had previously been agreed on, but maybe there is a good reason the price went up.  Ask them why the price has gone up and you might get something plausible.  At the end of the day, when you're only talking such a small amount of money, I would just pay it.  Life is too short to haggle hard over small amounts of money, in my opinion.

Face it there are a lot of Cheap Charlies on TV , I don't deprive myself of something I want for the sake of a few baht. I might check another store for lower price but if not in the mood I'll just get it.

• Like 1

It is funny because i got a kilomof them the other day for 60 baht. I weighed them out myself. As she was packing them up taking them off the scale, she grabbed one more huge one out of the pile and gave it to me for free.

Idk if her scale was off or something, but i have never had a thai person do that. All i could think is she wanted to be rid of the damn things. 

On 9/18/2018 at 4:30 AM, Thian said:

My wife also gets ashamed when i ask for discount but it's so very easy to do...even in the malls at the fridge-department i go to a salesman and say: sawasdee kab, lod dai mai krab? Immediatly he flips the pricecard over and there's another price with 5-10% discount.....then you can ask which cards give more discount and probably he'll tell you how to get more and how.

But avocado prices can vary during the seasons...At the Makro they don't have any avo's during some months a year but then they suddenly sell them and those will never ripen...they are picked too early by the kiwi's and i think it's cheating...one day i had many of them which would never ripen and thought of bringing them back but i was too lazy.

I don't buy any thai avocado anymore since they always have issues..a good one can be perfect but you have to be very lucky to get those. Mostly they are picked too early or late.

90 baht for 1 hass avocado in Tops is a real over the top price...and even those can be brown inside. 

For Thai it's normal to see prices fluctuate, i don't accept it though...will rather buy and eat something else if i feel a scam in the air.

It is my understanding that avocados do not "ripen" until they are picked. I am not aure if that disqualifies them from being able to be picked too early though ?

Just now, Tony125 said:

Face it there are a lot of Cheap Charlies on TV , I don't deprive myself of something I want for the sake of a few baht. I might check another store for lower price but if not in the mood I'll just get it.

If that's what a cheap Charlie is. I am very proud to be one.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, utalkin2me said:

It is funny because i got a kilomof them the other day for 60 baht. I weighed them out myself. As she was packing them up taking them off the scale, she grabbed one more huge one out of the pile and gave it to me for free.

Idk if her scale was off or something, but i have never had a thai person do that. All i could think is she wanted to be rid of the damn things. 

Yh I pulled up the Mrs on this as I checked the average weight online for an avocado and it says 170 grams so these unweighed 8 avocados could have potentially been max 1.5kg.

First are the avocados good? The supermarket carries New Zealand avacados. Bought them maybe 4 times and the inside is half stringy and half edible. Gave up on them. 

No wife doesn’t negotiate bought some land asked her to tell them lower price which was fair. She wouldn’t but I did and they accepted. 

Just now, DJ54 said:

First are the avocados good? The supermarket carries New Zealand avacados. Bought them maybe 4 times and the inside is half stringy and half edible. Gave up on them. 

No wife doesn’t negotiate bought some land asked her to tell them lower price which was fair. She wouldn’t but I did and they accepted. 

No idea. She said they were good but I'm pretty sure she will eat anything I've never seen her dislike any food actually. 

On 9/18/2018 at 8:21 AM, NaamGin said:

Your wife needs to find someplace new to purchase Avocados. My wife is paying 10 baht each for Avocados from a local grower here in CM. In the stores they are 70 baht each. 

In Tops they are 89 each..

4 hours ago, DJ54 said:

They've probably been stored incorrectly, in and out of refrigeration etc.  New Zealand avocados are delightful if stored right.

On 9/18/2018 at 12:21 AM, Rc2702 said:

love walking away from a deal I barred cheese from big c from the house once they hiked up the price 19 baht. It's just not right and would never taste as good to me anyway.

So its the deal as much as the product , heh. I know a couple farang that have been sitting at a bar comparing prices, deals and arguing about who bought it for less, for over 10 years, although I quit going to bar 8 years ago. I'm sure they are  still there. If you want an address PM me .... :biggrin:

My gf is in 20s and while shopping she will happily ask for discount if taking several items etc, always nicely and she often gets few % off.

When she was doing her sales job for two international companies she is always comfortable and very good.

And then sometimes she gets scammed, usually when we travel, or overcharged. One memorable experience was when a Laos border officer scammed her of 1000 THB.

It's usually when she feels like the person is "superior" ie high position, older and well mannered. In that case she won't say anything even if she thinks something is off.

Later she cries.

Part of the Thai subservient education pushed into them since kids, plus saving face I guess.