US funny man to give up his American citizenship - desperate to become a Thai

webfact

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

OK, I think I get it now.

You need to state an intention.

Then after you become a Thai citizen, you don't need to actually honor that.

Now, that is funny! 

Not really, seeing that many high up government officials have dual or multi citizenship.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Puccini said:

Is it an official government form the applicant for naturalisation as a Thai national needs to sign, or does the applicant have to compose his own text?

Yes it is. However, at the moment the UK consulate have stopped doing it since about 4 months ago until the home office have a meeting with the Thai authorities.

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

OK, I think I get it now.

You need to state an intention.

Then after you become a Thai citizen, you don't need to actually honor that.

Now, that is funny! 

Indeed...stating an intention and then not doing anything about it. What could be more Thai ?

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not that I'm interested or could ever qualify for Thai citizenship

Strange how almost all the people I hear saying that they are not interested or wouldn't want it, couldn't get it anyway.

Please give one reason why you wouldn't want to have two passports.

3 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

What about his kids? If he’s a US citizen, they’re entitled to a US passport no?
If he revokes his US citizenship, how will that affect their possible future in the US?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

His kid doesn't need to renounce it just because he does.

3 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

Renouncing US citizenship is increasing in popularity, because the IRS demands ex-pats to file tax returns and pay taxes on income in excess of the Treaty on Dual Taxation limits.  I can't blame this guy at all.  I would do the same, if I could get a passport from another country.

If you’re of Italian decent, it’s actually quite easy.  Some clauses exist but I have many Italian American friends that have both Italian and American passports. Clauses exist but many are qualified. 

I'm a Yank and pay US taxes on my pension & social security. As they are US based, I would still be required to pay taxes regardless of citizenship.

Medicare is useless here. Expats don't have political power, so easy to cut us out of coverage. I suppose they think we wouldn't ever need health care once we moved out of USA.... still get to pay into it or get dinged.

Article said he spent his first 2 years in US, so probably is more Thai than Yank. Doesn't seem to consider future very well.... hmmm

My "Tarzan's first law of the jungle: don't let go of one vine til you have hold of another"

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Funny.. half of the people in Thailand will give their right arm to just do the opposite, renounce thai citizenship and become an american, go figure...

Nope, what I find in thais compared to Filipinos are they don’t seems desperate to leave Thailand, while Filipinos will do everything to leave their country

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Funny.. half of the people in Thailand will give their right arm to just do the opposite, renounce thai citizenship and become an american, go figure...

May-be he has a serious health condition for which he cannot afford treatment in the USA while as a Thai citizen he can get help at government owned hospitals?

16 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

I'm a Yank and pay US taxes on my pension & social security. As they are US based, I would still be required to pay taxes regardless of citizenship.

Medicare is useless here. Expats don't have political power, so easy to cut us out of coverage. I suppose they think we wouldn't ever need health care once we moved out of USA.... still get to pay into it or get dinged.

Article said he spent his first 2 years in US, so probably is more Thai than Yank. Doesn't seem to consider future very well.... hmmm

My "Tarzan's first law of the jungle: don't let go of one vine til you have hold of another"

I was told that Yank was a derogatory term. I never know what to call people from the US.

Easy to give up US citizenship. You have to have citizenship in another country . There are two appointments, one to understand what you are giving up, one to formally renounce.

Form 81607 and Form 97025.

Then wait for a letter from the state department to confirm.

You will also need to file Form 8854  tell IRS to kiss your a** goodbye.

Yanks or Septics. Whatever ....as they are generally loud and ignorant once you scratch the surface.

Bull.

Septic is an explicit slur.

Yank is corny and dated and generally not used by Americans except ironically when taking to Brits.

Citizens of the USA are called Americans.

Duh.

Yes, only in Latin America you might want to be diplomatic and say estadounidense.

Not relevant elsewhere.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

I am sure half the Thai population doesnt want to become USA citizens .

Maybe a small percentage do, but 99 % of Thais are happy in Thailand being Thai .

Yeah, quite a few prostitutes would like a rich husband and they would happily move to the USA fora better life , but half of the Thai population doesnt want to become USA citizens

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Bull.
Septic is an explicit slur.
Yank is corny and dated.
Citizens of the USA are called Americans.
Duh.

People from Central and South America , resent citizens from the USA claiming to be "Americans".

America is the whole continents 

Archived