US funny man to give up his American citizenship - desperate to become a Thai

webfact

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, BestB said:

He has lived in Thailand since he was 2 years old, only natural that he feels he is more Thai than American 

I lived outside of Germany most of my real life, and I don't feel like I'm German. I feel at home where I'm welcome, and I feel I'm welcome in Thailand. 

Germany was too cold for me anyway, I would have probably needed a wheelchair if I would have stayed in Germany. So, there's also medical reasons why I'm here. 

And here is the only reliable family I have. In Germany I'm an orphan.

23 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

My diagnosis?

Obsessive compulsive nationality disphoria.

How do you get to that conclusion? He moved here soon after taking his first baby steps.

He has no reason whatsoever to feel a part of a nation he hasn't been in touch with for about 2.5% of his life.

12 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

very short sighted person putting all his eggs in a Thai basket.

Maybe he only follows his Buddhist brain stem that tells him that Thailand is the place where he belongs. Maybe he only yearns back to the sun and his family. Many Thais overseas do the same. 

Money is important only if you don't have enough to make you feel content. And in Thailand you don't really need that much (net)

11 hours ago, moe666 said:

It appears he will be living in Thailand where he cannot use his medicare even if he qualifies.

of course but that doesn't mean that in the future he may want to decided to return to or visit the USA.  Things change, political situations change.  Up to him if he wants to shut a door that can't be re-opened again. 

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

Funny.. half of the people in Thailand will give their right arm to just do the opposite, renounce thai citizenship and become an american, go figure...

Things are always not what we think it is. Each person thinks differently according to his nature and beliefs. Hence, generalising could be a mistake, always.

No, even in Canada, as much as we love Americans, we still refer to those from the lower 49th as Americans. Eh?

Of course. 

Also as Americans we have the right to call ourselves whatever we like.

Citizens of any sovereign nation do as well.

American presidents often say my fellow Americans. They never say my fellow United Statesers.

Someone from Mexico calls himself Mexicano, etc. If Mexicans etc. decided to call their nationality American nobody is stopping them. But they won't. Because it's silly. When non Americans refer to themselves as Americans they aren't talking about nationality at all but instead about the American continents. The term "the Americas" is also used to describe the totality of North and South America. A Nicaraguan for example may refer to himself as a Central American as well.

Again Americans traveling in Mexico, Central, and South America may respect local sensitivities by using local terms for their nationality. But outside of that doing so is absurd.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Article mentions he is the son of missionary who came to Thailand in 70's and that he works for hammock export company.

While I was searching for elusive Mlabri Tribe around Nan and Phrae provinces I found this story, he must be related to Reverend Long who lived with Mlabri's and thought them how to make hammocks and earn some money:

http://www.ethnography.com/2017/09/ethnography-as-a-contact-sport-the-mla-bri-and-the-long-family-of-phrae-thailand/

http://www.jumbohammock.com/mlabritribe.htm

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Again Americans traveling in Mexico, Central, and South America may respect local sensitivities by using local terms for their nationality. But outside of that doing so is absurd.

Why would they do that?

They need to find a name for themselves

https://www.economist.com/johnson/2010/12/09/yankees-gringos-and-usanians

15 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

well, giving up USA citizenship may sound like a good idea now, but later, now lets assume the USA still exists, he won't be eligible for any Medicare or any other federal benefits.  Americans can hold dual citizenship, but if the Thais are expecting or demanding him to give up USA allegiance, well, so be it.  One makes their bed, one sleeps in it.

I do not think the US allows dual citizenship anymore and I believe it has been some time now since they allowed it. Many Americans are renouncing their citizenship. Mostly for tax reasons. 

But many of us consider the days of American greatness to be in the past. 

Having said that, not sure I would want to give up my citizenship. But since I am not in the top 1%, there are no important tax considerations to renounce. Often I say I am Canadian anyway. Not particularly proud of my country these days, and the astonishing degree of fake patriotism emanating from it. 

I do not think the US allows dual citizenship anymore and I believe it has been some time now since they allowed it. Many Americans are renouncing their citizenship. Mostly for tax reasons. 

Having said that, not sure I would want to give up my citizenship. But since I am not in the top 1%, there are no important tax considerations to renounce. Often I say I am Canadian anyway. Not particularly proud of my country these days, and the astonishing degree of fake patriotism emanating from it. 

You think wrong.

LIST OF COUNTRIES THAT ALLOW OR DISALLOW

DUAL CITIZENSHIP

http://dlgimmigration.com/united-states-citizenship/list-of-countries-that-allow-or-disallow-dual-citizenship/

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Maybe he’s subconsciously just trying to appeal to the nationalistic slant of the locals to try and be popular; not looking like the locals that he’s been raised amongst may exacerbate this desire. On the other side, this is where his home is and being dependent on visas to stay here, as many of us know, can be a source of stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

8 hours ago, Arin Chokphisit said:

I have met with Udom some 13 years ago and can attest to the fact that he feels like a Thai, speaks and eats like a Thai and has never ever wanted anything else but to be a Thai. Where he lives near Phrae he went to Thai school, lived with Thais all his life and is in every regard (but his looks) a Thai. I wish him very best of luck in finally getting Thai citizenship. I moved here 35 years ago at the age of 25 and have received my Thai citizenship 11 years ago. He deserves (and needs) Thai citizenship more than I..

Poor sad bastard, hopefully he can sort out his identity crisis.

I intend to live in Thailand for the remainder of my life.

Being a British citizen and now having settled and lived in Thailand for several years and not a resident in Britain means I`m no longer entitled to anything in my own country, although I have fully paid into the British system all my working life. I am not entitled to receive medical under the National Health Service, my State pension is frozen and considered no more status wise than a foreigner in my own country, taking into consideration that I have not emigrated from Britain I have simply become a resident in another country.  Thais that live in Britain are still entitled to the 30 baht medical scheme and any other Thai government benefits provided they keep and update their Thai I.D. cards.

Also, I lose out with my banking interest, because in Britain where my pensions are paid, I have to bank offshore and in Thailand there are many types of accounts not open for me because I`m a foreigner, plus having to endure all the 90 day reporting and immigration hassle.

If given the opportunity I would throw my British passport along with my British citizenship down the toilet and would jump at the chance to become a Thai citizen whereas living in Thailand would benefit me greatly. I would be entitled to cheap health care and permitted to work if I so wanted to, including owning my own home and land.

Don`t blame this guy at all, hope he succeeds in obtaining Thai citizenship.

"I mean no disrespect to the American people but for me and who I am Thailand is the only citizenship I will ever need. My understanding is that dual nationality is possible but I have always and consistently said that I will only hold one citizenship because I am loyal to only one country, Thailand".

So basically, he is lacking in logic?  Not that I don't support any individuals dreams of moving to another nation but if you had a chance for dual citizenship, having the benefits of both... why not take it? 

hope he doesn't plan on traveling to Japan or Hong Kong or pretty much modernized country in Asia for more than two weeks.  I hope he doesn't plan on traveling to North America or Europe any time soon because it's a pain to get those visa's once you only have Thai citizenship.  I hope he enjoys having everyone think his passport is fake at the times he does travel and even be gazed on by Thai immigration and police as suspicious.  I hope there's never a conflict in this region where he feels he and his family would be safer elsewhere because he's going to be stuck...  Lots of things I hope, just a stupid move.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The US absolutely allows dual citizenship.  Where did you get your information?

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

I intend to live in Thailand for the remainder of my life.

Being a British citizen and now having settled and lived in Thailand for several years and not a resident in Britain means I`m no longer entitled to anything in my own country, although I have fully paid into the British system all my working life. I am not entitled to receive medical under the National Health Service, my State pension is frozen and considered no more status wise than a foreigner in my own country, taking into consideration that I have not emigrated from Britain I have simply become a resident in another country.  Thais that live in Britain are still entitled to the 30 baht medical scheme and any other Thai government benefits provided they keep and update their Thai I.D. cards.

Also, I lose out with my banking interest, because in Britain where my pensions are paid, I have to bank offshore and in Thailand there are many types of accounts not open for me because I`m a foreigner, plus having to endure all the 90 day reporting and immigration hassle.

If given the opportunity I would throw my British passport along with my British citizenship down the toilet and would jump at the chance to become a Thai citizen whereas living in Thailand would benefit me greatly. I would be entitled to cheap health care and permitted to work if I so wanted to, including owning my own home and land.

Don`t blame this guy at all, hope he succeeds in obtaining Thai citizenship.

Yeah, I understand but personally I wouldn't touch Thai citizenship with a ten foot pole, but I won't have to because I'm not qualified and never will be. What I would very much like (as a retired expat) is a kind of permanent residency status that is indeed offered by some other countries that offer legal retirement status for foreigners. Oh well, because it's clear Thailand is never going to offer that.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, I understand but personally I wouldn't touch Thai citizenship with a ten foot pole, but I won't have to because I'm not qualified and never will be. What I would very much like (as a retired expat) is a kind of permanent residency status that is indeed offered by some other countries that offer legal retirement status for foreigners. Oh well, because it's clear Thailand is never going to offer that.

Even married, when in Thailand I am on a Non-O which is... literally.. "visiting" family.  There is no technical way to "stay" with family though everybody just skirts the system with infinite visa's.  it's pretty silly...

21 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

well, giving up USA citizenship may sound like a good idea now, but later, now lets assume the USA still exists, he won't be eligible for any Medicare or any other federal benefits.  Americans can hold dual citizenship, but if the Thais are expecting or demanding him to give up USA allegiance, well, so be it.  One makes their bed, one sleeps in it.

For his age group he needs 10 years of work history in the USA to get medicare or social security.  It is no longer automatic at age 65 anymore.  He probably has not thought much about old age, young people never do!  I wish him luck.

Just now, dontoearth said:

For his age group he needs 10 years of work history in the USA to get medicare or social security.  It is no longer automatic at age 65 anymore.  He probably has not thought much about old age, young people never do!  I wish him luck.

He has no desire to go to the USA , that is why he wants got get rid of his USA passport .

They do have hospitals in Thailand as well 

17 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I was told that Yank was a derogatory term. I never know what to call people from the US.

I don't consider it an insult. I like to be insulted on basis of more personal attributes. haha

I did read somewhere long ago term came from inhabitants of New York, as it was once a Dutch colony til the big swap with Britain. Plausible story was some called New Yorkers (New Amsterdam) "Jan Kees (or Klees)" like we might call generic Brit "John Smith". Haven't done more research on that, but like the story so I'll stick to it.

It might be considered an insult to call someone Yank that is from failed rebel Confederate States. I'm a Northerner and my family fought on Union side...

5 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

I don't consider it an insult. I like to be insulted on basis of more personal attributes. haha

I did read somewhere long ago term came from inhabitants of New York, as it was once a Dutch colony til the big swap with Britain. Plausible story was some called New Yorkers (New Amsterdam) "Jan Kees (or Klees)" like we might call generic Brit "John Smith". Haven't done more research on that, but like the story so I'll stick to it.

It might be considered an insult to call someone Yank that is from failed rebel Confederate States. I'm a Northerner and my family fought on Union side...

Yanks is not considered bad when used by non usa folks.  Here in the USA, Yanks or Yankee is used when referring to somebody from the northern more eastern part of the USA areas that existed during our civil war back in the 1860s, aka the Union or northern side.  I was born in Rhode Island and have worked and lived all over the USA with many years in the South (Alabama, Florida).  Yankee is poked at and in general sometimes applied as an insult, at other times as a joke.  But if called a yank by a Brit, it is not assumed to be derogatory.   Especially since "the yanks are coming" was considered and OK thing in WW I and WW II.

Archived