US funny man to give up his American citizenship - desperate to become a Thai

webfact

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I do not think the US allows dual citizenship anymore and I believe it has been some time now since they allowed it. Many Americans are renouncing their citizenship. Mostly for tax reasons. 

But many of us consider the days of American greatness to be in the past. 

Having said that, not sure I would want to give up my citizenship. But since I am not in the top 1%, there are no important tax considerations to renounce. Often I say I am Canadian anyway. Not particularly proud of my country these days, and the astonishing degree of fake patriotism emanating from it. 

nah.  dual citizenship is allowed.  the following Department of State gov site gives a fairly decent explanation of it.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

I don't consider it an insult. I like to be insulted on basis of more personal attributes. haha

I did read somewhere long ago term came from inhabitants of New York, as it was once a Dutch colony til the big swap with Britain. Plausible story was some called New Yorkers (New Amsterdam) "Jan Kees (or Klees)" like we might call generic Brit "John Smith". Haven't done more research on that, but like the story so I'll stick to it.

It might be considered an insult to call someone Yank that is from failed rebel Confederate States. I'm a Northerner and my family fought on Union side...

Interesting to know. I got a post removed in another forum for using the word, Yank, as deemed offensive.

I've also heard Jing Thing complain that its hurtful.

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, I understand but personally I wouldn't touch Thai citizenship with a ten foot pole, but I won't have to because I'm not qualified and never will be. What I would very much like (as a retired expat) is a kind of permanent residency status that is indeed offered by some other countries that offer legal retirement status for foreigners. Oh well, because it's clear Thailand is never going to offer that.

Does the US offer such a status for retired people like yourself?

As I said earlier, is people who don't qualify that say they wouldn't want it.

As asked before, please tell me one disadvantage of having two passports.

Do you really hate Thailand that much that you wouldn't touch citizenship with a 10 foot pole? 

Rather sad, when you obviously are a long term Pattaya dweller.

As I said before Yank used to describe American nationality is dated and corny. I also don't consider it a slur but using American is much better.

Seppo and Septic on the other hand are derogatory.

There is no real problem about what word to use to describe citizens of the USA. The word to use is American.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If EVER anyone was more likely to blend  in with Thai society and culture it MUST be this guy................yet still the cretins make it hard for him.

After all his attempts I'd  tell them to shove it , leave and shame them from abroad until the day i died...but thats  just me.

Wish you luck with this retarded process .

53 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Interesting to know. I got a post removed in another forum for using the word, Yank, as deemed offensive.

I've also heard Jing Thing complain that its hurtful.

Unable to comment 

A member is LYING about me. Don't believe every personal attack you read on this forum. Again, I do NOT consider the dated, corny terms "Yank" or "Yankee" slurs or hurtful. I can say with certainty Americans do NOT use those terms to describe the NATIONALITY of fellow Americans amongst ourselves. Americans may sometimes use it when talking to Brits, etc because we know other nationals do use it that way. You won't hear any country songs saying I'm Proud to be a Yank. As repeated ad nauseum, it's history reflects regions in the U.S. civil war. The north -- Yankees, the south, rebels. 

20 hours ago, Arin Chokphisit said:

I have met with Udom some 13 years ago and can attest to the fact that he feels like a Thai, speaks and eats like a Thai and has never ever wanted anything else but to be a Thai. Where he lives near Phrae he went to Thai school, lived with Thais all his life and is in every regard (but his looks) a Thai. I wish him very best of luck in finally getting Thai citizenship. I moved here 35 years ago at the age of 25 and have received my Thai citizenship 11 years ago. He deserves (and needs) Thai citizenship more than I..

K. Arin!!!!!  Thank you for still remembering me.  I remember you showing me your Thai ID card.  I will never give up on my Thainess.  Please come visit again some time.  -udom

I want to thank everyone for the comments and thoughts, especially the ones wishing me the best.  All I want to say right now is that I my love, loyalty and patriotism for Thailand is genuine.  All I ask is for a chance to become a citizen of this great Kingdom.

Can your kids still have the chance of US citizenship if you renounce yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 minutes ago, Farang Muang Phrae said:

I want to thank everyone for the comments and thoughts, especially the ones wishing me the best.  All I want to say right now is that I my love, loyalty and patriotism for Thailand is genuine.  All I ask is for a chance to become a citizen of this great Kingdom.

Best of luck with your Thai citizenship application.

You be you and what you clearly are is THAI.

If the Thai authorities don't see that officially, it's their loss.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

A member is LYING about me. Don't believe every personal attack you read on this forum. Again, I do NOT consider the dated, corny terms "Yank" or "Yankee" slurs or hurtful. I can say with certainty Americans do NOT use those terms to describe the NATIONALITY of fellow Americans amongst ourselves. Americans may sometimes use it when talking to Brits, etc because we know other nationals do use it that way. You won't hear any country songs saying I'm Proud to be a Yank. As repeated ad nauseum, it's history reflects regions in the U.S. civil war. The north -- Yankees, the south, rebels. 

To grind this to a homeopathic level... heck, I'm outdated and corny... I prefer Yank over American or more clumsy but appropriate phrase "I'm from the USA" as saying "I'm American" is a bit arrogant and incorrect: there are many other countries in the Americas, even North America (Canada, Mexico). Perhaps why there is NAFTA, Not "America & you other continent sharers". I'm not averse to calling my American (haha) friends Yanks, but rarely do we point out our nationality to each other. Sort of like a "given". 

Country music traditionally linked to the South, and many there just can't give up on that old confederacy thing... There was that famous song "Over There" from WWI with refrain "That the Yanks are coming, the Yanks are coming" etc.

And the Brit origin song "Yankee Doodle Dandy" which was meant as an insult but like many groups, Revolutionaries took that insult and wore it as badge of honor. (I think that may be true of Tories name also I heard).

I'm proud of my ancestors who fought for the Union, being Yanks and fighting on "the right side".... increasingly rare in these times...

11 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

To grind this to a homeopathic level... heck, I'm outdated and corny... I prefer Yank over American or more clumsy but appropriate phrase "I'm from the USA" as saying "I'm American" is a bit arrogant and incorrect: there are many other countries in the Americas, even North America (Canada, Mexico). Perhaps why there is NAFTA, Not "America & you other continent sharers". I'm not averse to calling my American (haha) friends Yanks, but rarely do we point out our nationality to each other. Sort of like a "given". 

Country music traditionally linked to the South, and many there just can't give up on that old confederacy thing... There was that famous song "Over There" from WWI with refrain "That the Yanks are coming, the Yanks are coming" etc.

And the Brit origin song "Yankee Doodle Dandy" which was meant as an insult but like many groups, Revolutionaries took that insult and wore it as badge of honor. (I think that may be true of Tories name also I heard).

I'm proud of my ancestors who fought for the Union, being Yanks and fighting on "the right side".... increasingly rare in these times...

Whatever, dude.

You best adapt where you are.

Thais understand saying you're from America much better than saying you're from the U.S.

I think most Americans would naturally say they are from the U.S. and their nationality is American but adapting to where you are and who you're talking to, no problem to adjust to communicate better.

Those are two different questions, where are you from and what is your nationality!

Again, I find being sensitive to Latin Americans incredibly absurd and pointless outside of Latin America, and it's been established Canadians get it. They're Canadians. We're Americans. Do you think Malaysians (Truly Asia) give a rat's ass about the sensitives of Latin Americans for example. Get real. 

But do what you want of course.

Also to add, a lot of the noise from Europeans about how we shouldn't correctly say we're Americans is from noxious obsessive anti-Americans and why should Americans (on either side of the current divide) cave to such people? 

It's more complex in Latin America, but again none of them are saying that their NATIONALITY is American.

You get the distinction, right?

2 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Can your kids still have the chance of US citizenship if you renounce yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If a U.S. citizen hasn't spent enough time on U.S. soil he or she isn't able to to "transfer" their U.S. citizenship to their child.  However, the U.S. citizen grandparents can "transfer" their citizenship to their grandchildren.  At any rate my children are not affected by my decision.   

It’s gone off topic, anyway I think “yankee” is derived from “Janke”, Jan the Dutch equivalent of John, the “ke” at the end means “little”. It was a derogatory term for the British to refer to The Dutch settlers, especially in New York that was previously New Amsterdam. (The Dutch pronounce “J” as English pronounce “Y”).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thinking about it, I don’t think in my entire life I have ever described myself as a ‘Yank’ or or used it to describe other Americans.

Now I’ve been called a Yank, mainly by Brits & Aussies I have to say.

Am I offended by it? Not really, pretty sure as a kid I’ve been called worse!

It’s gone off topic, anyway I think “yankee” is derived from “Janke”, Jan the Dutch equivalent of John, the “ke” at the end means “little”. It was a derogatory term for the British to refer to The Dutch settlers, especially in New York that was previously New Amsterdam. (The Dutch pronounce “J” as English pronounce “Y”).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Makes sense. It still doesn't mean American nationality today to most Americans.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 9/19/2018 at 4:13 PM, Jingthing said:

Don't see why people are so mad and confused, the guy's lived here since he's 2, gets dual citizenship after being accepted. 

I don't know why Americans are so adamant America is the best in the world while living in Thailand? 

I think people should stop bashing this guy, it is his life and his choice. 

Getting Thai citizenship would help him with visa, healthcare and just make general life easier.

1 hour ago, Finnc99 said:

Don't see why people are so mad and confused, the guy's lived here since he's 2, gets dual citizenship after being accepted. 

I don't know why Americans are so adamant America is the best in the world while living in Thailand? 

I think people should stop bashing this guy, it is his life and his choice. 

Getting Thai citizenship would help him with visa, healthcare and just make general life easier.

I agree with everything you said except for one thing.

The vast majority of Americans of all political stripes identify strongly with our home country but not all Americans are so stupid as to think the USA is the best in all aspects of life.

For example, the American health care system which has the worst access and highest cost of any more "advanced" nation. That isn't the best. That's the worst. 

On 9/19/2018 at 3:56 PM, Farang Muang Phrae said:

If a U.S. citizen hasn't spent enough time on U.S. soil he or she isn't able to to "transfer" their U.S. citizenship to their child.  However, the U.S. citizen grandparents can "transfer" their citizenship to their grandchildren.  At any rate my children are not affected by my decision.   

Sounds like applying based on being married to a thai citizen is your best bet.

http://www.thaicitizenship.com/thai-citizenship-for-foreigners-married-to-thai-spouse/

good luck with the application. 

Archived