Video: Speeding  "Fast Granny" mows down kids, causes carnage at Suphan intersection

webfact

Video: Speeding  "Fast Granny" mows down kids, causes carnage at Suphan intersection

5PM.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A speeding 70 year old "forgetful" grandmother was caught on CCTV at a Suphanburi intersection causing absolute carnage. 

Boonchoo in a pick-up had gone through the red light and smashed into three motorbikes and sideswiped two other vehicles before colliding with the footpath and coming to a stop 100 meters down the road. 

Witnesses saw her coming out shaking.

A male school student is still in a serious condition in Chao Phraya Yomarat Hospital after the incident at the Ban Pho Phraya intersection in Muang district of the central Thai city. 

A female student and two parents were allowed to go home from hospital after treatment. 

Boonchoo was described as forgetful and incoherent by witnesses. They also said that an elderly monk was in the car with her but he disappeared in the confusion. 

Pol Lt (female) Piya-orn Khamwan said that this was not true - Boonchoo was in the car alone. 

She had been meeting with the abbot of the temple of Wat Don Chedi at the local police station discussing some personal business. But she had forgotten something at home and went back to get it.

The monk was waiting at the station for an hour for her. Lieutenant Piya-orn also described the driver as forgetful and confused. 

Her daughter who lives in Hua Hin will be bringing her into the police today to talk about the accident. 

Sanook called the driver "Yai The Fast" in their headline. Yai means grandmother. 

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-19

4 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

granny 100% in the wrong but notice everyone just enters the intersection without looking to the right.:shock1:

not to make light of a serious subject but I hope the woman in the blue dress at the end of the video is around when I crash.:clap2: 

She'll be wearing what my Wife  calls  her "protector pants" on under that excuse of a frock, so u may be disappointed

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

So should stopping for a red light. You don't think it's only older drivers that cause the road carnage in Thailand?

No I don't but I do believe some peoples cognition and reflexes start to fail when they reach a certain age. This woman was known for 'forgetfulness', was this the onset of dementia/alzheimers ? There's enough ass**** drivers on the roads here never mind someone driving around with mental deficiencies. Hence, re test all yearly after a certain age. I also believe anyone who tests over the limit here with alcohol should go to jail for a minimum of 3 months, first offence. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And we have an old aunty in our family who insists that if you or a family member is employed in any government position then you have 5 extra seconds go keep moving after the red light is on.

She's caused many accidents, police have told her that her 'extra 5 seconds rule' is not true and cannot ever be true, she continues to insist she's correct.

Nobody in the family will travel in her car. She's forbidden to put any family children in her car.

Just a matter of time until the inevitable big accident comes. 

13 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

No I don't but I do believe some peoples cognition and reflexes start to fail when they reach a certain age. This woman was known for 'forgetfulness', was this the onset of dementia/alzheimers ? There's enough ass**** drivers on the roads here never mind someone driving around with mental deficiencies. Hence, re test all yearly after a certain age. I also believe anyone who tests over the limit here with alcohol should go to jail for a minimum of 3 months, first offence. 

I'd like to see all unlicenced and underage drivers have their motorbike or car confiscated for 3 months as well, but that ain't gonna happen either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Boonchoo was described as forgetful and incoherent by witnesses. They also said that an elderly monk was in the car with her but he disappeared in the confusion

More likely drunk,and the Monk made a quick exit stage right,

maybe tippling too, I am not getting defrocked for this,and hes

away.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

Some countries require yearly re tests after a certain age, should apply here also.

Most countries require a driver to have a licence in the first place, could she be one of the 8 million driving without a licence?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

More a case of a red light runner not the age. Typical Thai style of driving. 

Awe! ...come on..... You saying Farangs don't break the lights?

The more I read these posts the more incredulous they get ...one would be forgiven for thinking that only Thai's beat their wives, shoot people, rob banks and rape women...going by these posters ...Talk about the "kettle calling the pot black"... Jeeeeez.

5 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Awe! ...come on..... You saying Farangs don't break the lights?

The more I read these posts the more incredulous they get ...one would be forgiven for thinking that only Thai's beat their wives, shoot people, rob banks and rape women...going by these posters ...Talk about the "kettle calling the pot black"... Jeeeeez.

Generally speaking - no, and not to the point for how Thai's have mastered it. 

• Like 1

The driver's age is not the main issue for me. Running the red light is the main issue. The driver should be charged with negligent homicide and prosecuted. If during the investigation, it is determined the driver is not qualified to have a drivers' license, that should be permanently revoked.