Nissan Navara NP300 vs Chevrolet Colorado Pickup

muratremix

I got 100K discount from Nissan Doublecab Calibre V 7AT option.

So 940.5k downs to 840.5k

and then finance rates are for 4 years 2.39, for 5 years 2.49 (25% down) which makes it pretty good choice.

So for 4 years finance option, interest rate costs 60k in total, still 40K net discount after 0% interest rate (100k - 60k interest = 40k net)

Only downside is min. 1 month wait for production, as it is not in stock and they'll probably make a facelift soon (or in 2019) which is why they don't want to keep current model in stock.

1 hour ago, Zendo said:

You'll notice huge difference between all this trucks.. ans After that drive a sedan or suv, to be sure that it is the right choice for you

I drove camry for 4 years in Bangkok and there is no way any SUV or Pickup can provide same comfort as a luxury sedan (thats what they call it, not that it is luxury like BMW or Mercedes Benz). However, I'm not living in Bangkok anymore and roads in Samui (except the ringroad, the main road around the island) are terrible. 

I considered ford ecosport before pickup, but new one with Automatic AC costs 847.000 and for that price you can buy an automatic pickup, which is crazy. Besides, powershift dual clutch transmission from ford caused enough headache (i.e class action against ford in Thailand?)

Then I considered Honda mobilio, and moved on to br-v which is 820.000 for 7 seater. Which has much better engine / transmission compared to Avanza (4 gear auto - 102 ps) and beautiful new mitsubishi xpander (4 gear auto - 105 ps) and an automatic AC which isn't available in Xpander / Avanza

But when you pay 820k, why not 850-950k for Automatic double cab pickup with Digital AC Again?

I just need to stop somewhere, some price point so I don't buy 1.3 million baht SUV with 0% interest rate for 72 months.

I drove camry for 4 years in Bangkok and there is no way any SUV or Pickup can provide same comfort as a luxury sedan (thats what they call it, not that it is luxury like BMW or Mercedes Benz). However, I'm not living in Bangkok anymore and roads in Samui (except the ringroad, the main road around the island) are terrible. 

I considered ford ecosport before pickup, but new one with Automatic AC costs 847.000 and for that price you can buy an automatic pickup, which is crazy. Besides, powershift dual clutch transmission from ford caused enough headache (i.e class action against ford in Thailand?)

Then I considered Honda mobilio, and moved on to br-v which is 820.000 for 7 seater. Which has much better engine / transmission compared to Avanza (4 gear auto - 102 ps) and beautiful new mitsubishi xpander (4 gear auto - 105 ps) and an automatic AC which isn't available in Xpander / Avanza

But when you pay 820k, why not 850-950k for Automatic double cab pickup with Digital AC Again?
I just need to stop somewhere, some price point so I don't buy 1.3 million baht SUV with 0% interest rate for 72 months.

It depends on what you consider comfort and luxury. I’ve driven a number of Camrys (most recently for two weeks last month) and I would rather drive a pickup.

If you like sitting low with your legs sticking forward, a car is better for you. If you like sitting higher, with your legs more like you’re sitting in in a chair, a pickup or SUV is better for you.

I drove a 4dr pickup with a shell on the back for the past 15 years, and I’ve been driving a ‘tuna for 6 months. The pickup with a shell is more useful.
  • Like 1

If you live in Samui, that makes sense to drive pickup or 4x4 everyday, the Nissan Navarra will do the job greatly, you might even have some fun with it !

The offer you got from your dealer looks great, 100k is good bargain.

• Like 1

I'm not sure where the OP lives....

Personally, between those 2 choices I'd go with Nissan for the reasons the others have stated....

Also Chevrolet dealers seem to start up - then drop like flies.....The good employees/techs will end up at the solid manufacturers outlets (Honda/Toyota) leaving the weaker market players always scrambling in the "building/training" mode....

They are the weakest in the market....

To see a Chevy truck is unusual - to see more than one while out on an outing is really against the odds....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kannot said:

Chevvy right? how has the service been from your  dealer and any problems with the vehicle???

No problem excepted with a seat belt from a back seat last week they told it has a problem in case of accident it could not work properly, I had no idea about it, so they took the back seat and will give it back this week, the car is still under guarantee, so it will be free!

Two years ago I liked the 200 horses and the torque NM 500 the four disk brakes, and completely irrational I like the brand Chevrolet for some reasons it reminds me of my childhood. :smile: 

The only thing I am not satisfied, the suspension of this car is a little hard for my taste. In Samui with average speed on the main road 40/50 km h :-(  8km per litre. Going to Bangkok or Isaan 12kmh per litre.

No problem excepted with a seat belt from a back seat last week they told it has a problem in case of accident it could not work properly, I had no idea about it, so they took the back seat and will give it back this week, the car is still under guarantee, so it will be free!
Two years ago I liked the 200 horses and the torque NM 500 the four disk brakes, and completely irrational I like the brand Chevrolet for some reasons it reminds me of my childhood. :smile: 
The only thing I am not satisfied, the suspension of this car is a little hard for my taste. In Samui with average speed on the main road 40/50 km h :-(  8km per litre. Going to Bangkok or Isaan 12kmh per litre.

What tire pressure are you ready running?

The service guy always seem to air them up to 40-50 psi which makes for a rough ride...
  • Like 1

Just now, mogandave said:

What tire pressure are you ready running?

The service guy always seem to air them up to 40-50 psi which makes for a rough ride...

Woaw most thanks ? I have heard already that many Thais have absolutely no idea about the right tires pressure, and so many tires are overinflated in this country, never one second have I thought it could be at least part of the reason it is so hard, but of course logically it could be. I will have a look not far than tomorrow :licklips:

7 hours ago, muratremix said:

Nope. I plan to do test drives in this weekend. They don't really look different inside and in terms of size, so I don't expect a huge difference in driving. They won't let hill drive test anyway.

I'll probably not like driving any of them but buying a pickup is the most logical choice here in provinces of Thailand (and yes Samui is pretty bad compared to Bangkok where I lived for 5 years)

You  might be in for quite a  shock then, after reading many road tests i thought the Ranger would be incredible and i found  it  sluggish and  wallowy whilst the Colorado was perky and felt  much better in the handling, then again its  all personal.

My only real concern  is reliability and dealer service, again depends on the individual garage concerned, have had  good service from one Honda  dealer and awful from another.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Did read it handled  better with 500kilos in the rear.......................have you got a fat relative you dislike maybe??

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

I'm not sure where the OP lives....

Personally, between those 2 choices I'd go with Nissan for the reasons the others have stated....

Also Chevrolet dealers seem to start up - then drop like flies.....The good employees/techs will end up at the solid manufacturers outlets (Honda/Toyota) leaving the weaker market players always scrambling in the "building/training" mode....

They are the weakest in the market....

To see a Chevy truck is unusual - to see more than one while out on an outing is really against the odds....

We must go out different places ive  seen quite a few about but Id  tend to agree about them dropping like flies, also showrooms  look a  bit  tatty quite often, seems they take over an old  building and do nothing to it.

6 minutes ago, kannot said:

You  might be in for quite a  shock then, after reading many road tests i thought the Ranger would be incredible and i found  it  sluggish and  wallowy whilst the Colorado was perky and felt  much better in the handling, then again its  all personal.

My only real concern  is reliability and dealer service, again depends on the individual garage concerned, have had  good service from one Honda  dealer and awful from another.

Is this the new  2.0 ranger with the 10speed auto or the 2.2 litre outgoing model?  And which engine did you try? 

If it's sluggish that would annoy me enough to not buy one

Today I went for test drive and I almost bought nissan navara calibre V 7At model.

But when I learned that they'll give me 2017 model due to hefty 100K discount I'm getting, and it doesn't have AVM (Around View Monitor, 4 camera system), it was a total deal breaker for me.

I drove 4x4 model of nissan double cab top model, it was my first time driving experience with pickups, it wasn't so pleasant but better than I expected. However engine performance was bad, it wasn't accelerating like I expected.

Then I went to ford for test drive. I tested limited edition 4x2 as wildtrak model was in other side of the island for exhibition & test drive. OMG it drive so good with 2.0L new turbo engine. Both ford and nissan had 180ps horsepower and 420/430 torque but ford drives so smooth and acceleration was pretty quick in normal mode (not S mode). Engine noise was much quieter than Nissan and 10 gear Auto offers a smooth ride. I tested car in same road cycle, which has bad concrete roads. It was more comfortable in Ford compared to Nissan and I did these tests within 1 hour, not in different days so my memory was pretty fresh.

In short, I bought Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4x2 model.

Wildtrak has better quality leather seats, lumbar support is better in Wildtrak aswell. Also they used partially soft plastic in cabin compared to all hard plastics in limited edition of ranger. Electric 8 way adjustment driver seat also only available in Wildtrak.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Today I went for test drive and I almost bought nissan navara calibre V 7At model.

But when I learned that they'll give me 2017 model due to hefty 100K discount I'm getting, and it doesn't have AVM (Around View Monitor, 4 camera system), it was a total deal breaker for me.

I drove 4x4 model of nissan double cab top model, it was my first time driving experience with pickups, it wasn't so pleasant but better than I expected. However engine performance was bad, it wasn't accelerating like I expected.

Then I went to ford for test drive. I tested limited edition 4x2 as wildtrak model was in other side of the island for exhibition & test drive. OMG it drive so good with 2.0L new turbo engine. Both ford and nissan had 180ps horsepower and 420/430 torque but ford drives so smooth and acceleration was pretty quick in normal mode (not S mode). Engine noise was much quieter than Nissan and 10 gear Auto offers a smooth ride. I tested car in same road cycle, which has bad concrete roads. It was more comfortable in Ford compared to Nissan and I did these tests within 1 hour, not in different days so my memory was pretty fresh.

Wildtrak has better quality leather seats, lumbar support is better in Wildtrak aswell. Also they used partially soft plastic in cabin compared to all hard plastics in limited edition of ranger. Electric 8 way adjustment driver seat also only available in Wildtrak.

Nice one. Did you take a snap?

Nothing about the way it looks?

21 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Exterior looks not so different, no matter which brand in my opinion.

Interior in Ford is way better, except missing rear air vents for AC which is kinda stupid (other brands have this).

Cockpit (Info display) and 8 inch? Android / iphone car play supported multimedia touch screen is amazing, way better than Nissan's kenwood infotainment system without Carplay / Android auto which has a pale non fullhd screen (TN panel perhaps?)

Also fabric seats were lower quality in Nissan. Ford ranger limited edition has synthetic leather which is ok, but wildtrak has better quality leather seats which is more expensive than Nissan V grade Auto but price of limited edition is comparable to Nissan's 940K price (Ford: 949k)

However most important thing is Ford's new engine + getrag brand auto gear pair. It drives like pickup is 1500kg instead of 2000kg ?

On 9/20/2018 at 7:48 PM, mogandave said:

I think the Chevy is better looking than the Nissan, but I think the Ranger looks better than the Chevy.

If your concern is value, and resale, go with the Isuzu...

Or a Toyota.  Don just buy the brand you have loyalty to back home.  This is Thailand. Betwee nToyota and Isuzu they had ( a year or so ago) 68% of the market in this country.  That leaves 32 % for Ford, Mazda, Nissan, Chevrolet, Mitsubishi and at the time Tatra to share. (Did I miss any?)   Much of the reason why these two dominate the market is after sales service.  In some parts of Thailand some of the other brands are badly served (read badly serviced) by their agents.  Toyota came out best with almost nowhere with bad service (or servicing) Isuzu came second with apparently still a few places that don't do well.   I don't remember the rest but apparently there are more than a few places that it is good not to own some of the others.   One of the main reasons to buy a Chevy was that they had Isuzu motors.  Apparently now they don't.  I may be wrong but I think Chevy motors here now come from Kia in South Korea.  We own a Toyota and love it to pieces, particularly that they do not show their age by changing shape all the time.  (Many people cannot tell a Revo from a Vigo.)   However next time I think it might be an Isuzu.  Heavier clutch in Manual T but a way smoother ride by far and we would get an auto anyway. The Mu X is a lot cheaper than a Fortuner too, with better fuel economy and a few other things.   We would keep the Vigo for me but in the medium future, Mrs TDH might get a Mu X auto.

On 9/21/2018 at 3:54 PM, Oztruckie said:

If you want an opinion, my choice be the Nissan everyday over the colorado, jap engines are just about indestructible where as the Colorado have an Italian engine if there the same as the models shipped to Oz, it's a no brainer in my opinion. 

No they use the 2.8 oil gulper in Oz, in Thailand they used to sell it  but  now only have the 2.5 which i dont see drinking oil.

20 hours ago, mogandave said:

Look at the Fords  paint its freakin atrocious ( as bad as Mazdas), I reckon the 4  year old infants hand painted...literally with their hands, many arent good  these  days but the Chevvys  paint was way way  better than the rest for lack of orange  peel.

19 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Or a Toyota.  Don just buy the brand you have loyalty to back home.  This is Thailand. Betwee nToyota and Isuzu they had ( a year or so ago) 68% of the market in this country.  That leaves 32 % for Ford, Mazda, Nissan, Chevrolet, Mitsubishi and at the time Tatra to share. (Did I miss any?)   Much of the reason why these two dominate the market is after sales service.  In some parts of Thailand some of the other brands are badly served (read badly serviced) by their agents.  Toyota came out best with almost nowhere with bad service (or servicing) Isuzu came second with apparently still a few places that don't do well.   I don't remember the rest but apparently there are more than a few places that it is good not to own some of the others.   One of the main reasons to buy a Chevy was that they had Isuzu motors.  Apparently now they don't.  I may be wrong but I think Chevy motors here now come from Kia in South Korea.  We own a Toyota and love it to pieces, particularly that they do not show their age by changing shape all the time.  (Many people cannot tell a Revo from a Vigo.)   However next time I think it might be an Isuzu.  Heavier clutch in Manual T but a way smoother ride by far and we would get an auto anyway. The Mu X is a lot cheaper than a Fortuner too, with better fuel economy and a few other things.   We would keep the Vigo for me but in the medium future, Mrs TDH might get a Mu X auto.

Chevrolet is sadly  lacking in this dept.

On 9/20/2018 at 3:54 PM, muratremix said:

I wish I haven't visited ford dealer today. After seeing double cab ranger 2.0L xlt limited edition (949.000 baht) and 2.0L wildtrak (1.029.000 baht) I was stunned.

Ford put a new turbo diesel engine with 10 gear AT transmission and cockpit looks amazing in both models. Wildtrak has nice electric control seating and good quality leather seats aswell.

However, they don't discount new ford models with 2.0 liter turbo engine as much as older generation 2.2 liter engine models. While Nissan, Chevrolet and even Toyota offers 50-60k discount to cover up for interest rate you'll be paying, Ford only did 15k discount, and isuzu was worse (15k discount but no free 1st class insurance and you pay many extras for rust protection etc etc)

On 9/21/2018 at 1:28 PM, kannot said:

The Isuzu is a really due  a serious new  model its  well past its sell by date, Chevrolet Colorado was  based on the same vehicle but they gave it a big upgrade in 2016

Thats because the Ford be the hottest selling truck in Thailand now....Isuzu is a Chevrolet...Ford a Mazda, vice versa

Edited by yrag

2 hours ago, yrag said:

Thats because the Ford be the hottest selling truck in Thailand now....Isuzu is a Chevrolet...Ford a Mazda, vice versa

Not exactly = 5th place

Not even close based on 9-18 report......

21,000 sales behind Toyota - 7,000 behind Izuzu

About even, but lower than Mits by a handful of units.....

Screenshot_2018-09-28-16-51-42-71.png

I take back anything I said positive about Chev if it pertains to Phuket.

I spent 2 hours after I pointed out the damaged part waiting for it to be ordered at the 'new' Chev servie centre

All said and done , I asked when I would come back to have it fitted,

The answer was , "Um , up to ONE month..."

You gotta be kidding.

Go with  Isuzu or Toyota...

16 hours ago, yrag said:

Except for Ford being the hottest selling truck, your information was correct about 10 years or so again.

Now it is all totally incorrect.