May challenges EU as Brexit talks hit 'impasse', sterling tumbles

rooster59

24 minutes ago, ukrules said:

In my view this is the most important point, the other countries are already arguing about who's going to make up the massive shortfall.

This is the main issue which has the potential to tear the EU apart.

Spot on something the London UK Mayor can't take on board, he should be sacked. 

28 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Are they?

Yes, there are 9 net contributors out of the current 28 EU countries. The rest of them are net beneficiaries at the moment.

This changes after the UK leaves, you think they're happy about this ?

You have to dig deep to find information about this but here's a chart I stumbled across from 10 years ago which shows an approximate distribution between the countries :

image.png.29f9355819070e9cfcd5a90faa6567ef.png

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8036097.stm#start

I've found it's much easier to accumulate knowledge as it's released in real time than go looking for it.

The countries which are not happy are towards the bottom of the above chart.

Edited by ukrules

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Spot on something the London UK Mayor can't take on board, he should be sacked. 

He is just upset that the money laundering financial capital of the world will move to Frankfurt.  Well with the Deutsche bank's dubious bank rolling of Trump in the past then they have proven credentials already to assume the role.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Any car-parks near you we could meet. ? 

I can't tell for sure if you are threatening a member or asking for gay sex or both.

12 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...British Prime Minister Theresa May said on Friday that Brexit talks with the European Union had hit an impasse, defiantly challenging the bloc to come up with its own plans a day after EU leaders savaged her proposals..."

"Defiantly challenging the bloc to come up with its own plans..."

Are you kidding me?

Does TM and the British public really not get this? The UK decided to leave. Yet, somehow the UK seems to think that they are owed a huge amount of respect, a great 'leaving' party AND to keep all the bits of the EU that they like; a while back someone likened British expectations to getting a divorce yet still expecting to have sex every night.

Hey UK! YOU decided to leave. And, when YOU decided to leave, YOU lost your main bargaining power.

Yes, it would be better for both sides if there were a deal in place to ensure a smooth economic transition and continued activity between the two entities, but if there isn't, there isn't. And to be blunt, the EU is ten times the size of the UK and needs an agreement far, far less than the UK does. If there is no post-Brexit agreement, what is the UK going to do? Walk hat in hand to the Americans (Trump!) and ask for 'special favours'? Yeah, that'll go well...

The UK voted to leave. In my view, it was a supremely foolish thing to do, but it is the UK's right. However, you are going to pay a heavy price for it; stop whingeing, suck it up, pay the price and move on. Or, shelve the idea for a generation.

(apologies to my British friends; from an outsider's point of view, there is a great deal of 'head-in-the-sand-ism' going on...)

Are you kidding me? Its the EU that are playing stupid games because they want to keep us there at all costs. If you disagree with that you are not worth talking to on this subject because the EU are scared others will follow suit. You call it begging or going cap in hand to the US tells more about your rant than it does about us. Its called making new trade deals and if you are so conceited to think there arent other countries out there to make trade deals with then you have just shown your stupidity. We have a commonwealth bud, The US is alone and hardly anyone like you, and we can make the same stuff you do as long as we re-ignite factories etc. Beats me how you arrogant yanks can see where you are going with your heads up your harris. Go start another war if you're bored, or maybe go fix the one you started and ran away from and fix your own house rather than worry about Great Britains position

The EU are acting like headmasters in a 19th century school basically telling us that our 'homework' is not good enough each time we present it!! Well eff them. All they want is power, control and big wads of money back handed to them from wealthy countries to . . . . well, ya know

The heads in the sand in GB are the ones who want to remain, they have no vision, no idea of forward thinking. Telling us all what a disaster it will be! We had all that before and after the referendum but the sky is still where it always has been. The recession that was promised never happened and these were all forecast by monetary experts hahaha. Funny how the experts usually get it wrong and the layman with a gut feeling ids usually right . . . 

Did that Koh Tao "rape victim" be found to be lying yet?

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Are you kidding me? Its the EU that are playing stupid games because they want to keep us there at all costs. If you disagree with that you are not worth talking to on this subject because the EU are scared others will follow suit. You call it begging or going cap in hand to the US tells more about your rant than it does about us. Its called making new trade deals and if you are so conceited to think there arent other countries out there to make trade deals with then you have just shown your stupidity. We have a commonwealth bud, The US is alone and hardly anyone like you, and we can make the same stuff you do as long as we re-ignite factories etc. Beats me how you arrogant yanks can see where you are going with your heads up your harris. Go start another war if you're bored, or maybe go fix the one you started and ran away from and fix your own house rather than worry about Great Britains position

The EU are acting like headmasters in a 19th century school basically telling us that our 'homework' is not good enough each time we present it!! Well eff them. All they want is power, control and big wads of money back handed to them from wealthy countries to . . . . well, ya know

The heads in the sand in GB are the ones who want to remain, they have no vision, no idea of forward thinking. Telling us all what a disaster it will be! We had all that before and after the referendum but the sky is still where it always has been. The recession that was promised never happened and these were all forecast by monetary experts hahaha. Funny how the experts usually get it wrong and the layman with a gut feeling ids usually right . . . 

huh ?

Well, actually, that is the part of your post that makes the most sense.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

What's this massive shortfall? Massive maybe compared to the total EU budget, not much when it comes to the combined budges of France and Germany alone. Germany had a budget surplus of 36 billion euros in 2017. That's roughly 3 times the net contribution of the UK to the EU.

Germany and France could afford to pay but they won't and why should they?

The countries who can least affort it will be made to pay and this is where the problems come from.

Just google 'brexit black hole'

The Netherlands is not the only member nation to come out against coughing up higher contributions - Austria, Sweden and Denmark have also expressed concerns.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/920975/Brexit-news-netherlands-EU-latest-news-budget-contributions-Brexit-blackhole

Meanwhile, in November a bombshell report revealed Germany would have to increase funding to around a third - from €15 billion in 2015 to around €20 billion once the UK leaves.

I'm sure that will finish off Merkel once and for all when it finally happens.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I read on other media that within Labour the movement is strong for demanding a 2nd ref.

If that is supported by the conf next week and the Unions back that,

it will make some impact, maybe not to the point that a 2nd ref will surface

but surely, an impact on the debate in the UK if both Labour and the Unions put their resources behind it.

interesting times

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Just google 'brexit black hole'

If I do that, will I be taken to the realm where people wear folio hats and think there is a God figure, who manages this little planet?

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

He was also a two faced General, much like most of the current EU "stealocrats"  who came to political power by ordering the use of live weapons against students in 1965.  There are parallels with others within the modern era who will resort to anything to gain a political advantage.  The British shielded him and supported him and he repaid it by  his own selfish deeds. Remember France in WW2,  the only thing they ever excelled at was running backwards faster than anybody else, well maybe the Italians gave them a run for their money.

One good thing he did was stopping us joining "The common market" for a while, other than that i agree with you!

9 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

One good thing he did was stopping us joining "The common market" for a while, other than that i agree with you!

Actually in my view the Common Market was a good thing for Europe as it was just that, an easy and common trading relationship between nations.  What it became, or is becoming, an unelected European Republic then that is the real issue.  The problem here of course is that with the UK leaving they will no longer have any influence. Its like recognising a problem and rather standing to fight for principles, you run away. The British were once renowned for the former but how things have changed.

33 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

He was also a two faced General, much like most of the current EU "stealocrats"  who came to political power by ordering the use of live weapons against students in 1965.  There are parallels with others within the modern era who will resort to anything to gain a political advantage.  The British shielded him and supported him and he repaid it by  his own selfish deeds. Remember France in WW2,  the only thing they ever excelled at was running backwards faster than anybody else, well maybe the Italians gave them a run for their money.

Well, you may be entitled to have anti French feelings but you got your facts all wrong.

De Gaulle came back to power in 1958, and got re-elected in 1965. During his accession to power there was some rough play but France and its Algerian colony were in a state of civil war.

The students demonstrations were in 1968, and there were indeed a handful of casualties mainly due to police brutality. Far from gaining power De Gaule was led to the way out during these events. He left in 1969 following a no vote in a referendum, on "regionalisation" and the extension of the European Community.

The French were indeed routed in 1939, but mostly because of an absolutely inadequate strategy which relied almost entirely on the Maginot line, the French Chiefs of Staff, were to old and dumb to imagine that Hitler could invade Belgium to bypass the French defences.

During the German invasion De Gaulle was a Lieutenant-colonel who's main distinction was to have written a book on "blitzkrieg", which, some people said, inspired Hitler.

So, the next time you want to go French bashing, do your research. And if you are interested I could give you some facts on Gallipoli too...

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Actually in my view the Common Market was a good thing for Europe as it was just that, an easy and common trading relationship between nations.  What it became, or is becoming, an unelected European Republic then that is the real issue.  The problem here of course is that with the UK leaving they will no longer have any influence. Its like recognising a problem and rather standing to fight for principles, you run away. The British were once renowned for the former but how things have changed.

Yes i agree had it stayed just that a "Common Market" it would have made sense!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

What unelected? You are spreading fake information.

2 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Well, you may be entitled to have anti French feelings but you got you facts all wrong.

De Gaulle came back to power in 1958, and got re-elected in 1965. During his accession to power there was some rough play but France and its Algerian colony were in a state of civil war.

The students demonstration were in 1968, and there were a handful of casualties due mainly to police brutality. Far from gaining power De Gaule was led to the way out during these events. He left in 1969 following a No vote in a referendum, on "regionalisation" and extension the extension of the European Community.

The French were indeed routed in 1939, but mostly because of an absolutely inadequate strategy which relied almost entirely on the Maginot line, the French Chiefs of Staff, were to old and dumb to imagine that Hitler could invade Belgium to bypass the French defence.

During the German invasion De Gaulle was a Lieutenant-colonel who's main distinction was to have written a book on "blitzkrieg", which some people said inspired Hitler.

So next time you want to go French bashing, do your research. And if you are interested I could give you some facts on Gallipoli...

So I got the date wrong ? But they still went backwards quicker than most major nations and that is historical fact.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

The EU neither is a republic, nor could a republic be elected or unelected. And if you mean the EU‘s leadership, that isn’t unelected either. 

Impressive how much nonsense you were able to put into one sentence. 

Something you don't quite understand about tense ? Allow me to re-write what I said " or is becoming, "    Before claiming someone writes nonsense, please don't judge others on your own failings.

Edited by Esso49
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The European Parliament and the European Commission are exactly as much elected as the UK parliament and government.

If you mean the European Parliament does not have enough power, then tell us who opposes this.

Edited by oldhippy

2 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

Its the EU that are playing stupid games because they want to keep us there at all costs.

I understand some people when they realize they fxxxed up big times they flee into denial and try to find someone else to blame. Given the sheer size of this desaster you created and all the arrogance around it (“easiest deal in history” etc.) I can see you need that now. But, come one, do you really think anyone has forgotten who left the EU, who talked big about how easy and wonderful everything would be, and what a great deal he would secure?

Its called making new trade deals and if you are so conceited to think there arent other countries out there to make trade deals with then you have just shown your stupidity.

Tell me one significant trade deal the U.K. has secured since then? 

The EU are acting like headmasters in a 19th century school basically telling us that our 'homework' is not good enough each time we present it!!

If that’s how you look at a negotiation then you certainly have other problems than just Brexit. By the way, no one asked for your homework, you’re free to not submit any more, especially since it’s just wasting people’s time. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

The European Parliament and the European Commission are exactly as much elected as the UK government.

If you mean the European Parliament does not have enough power, then tell us who opposes this.

Just to correct you  so you understand better .  The European commision is not elected.  Members are appointed, one per state, by the European Parliament and it is they who are the only ones elected.  The commission and its President are unelected by the European voters, yet they are ones proposing all European laws and regulations that subsequently are approved , or otherwise, by the European Parliament.