Alcohol sales stop at 13.50

petedk

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

Its just a shop rule , to stop people picking up alcohol just before 2 PM and not getting to the check-out on time .

They probably laughed at you, because you were making a spectacle of yourself and complaining .

I quite often see foreigners who complain about rules and who feel that they should be exempt from rules and deserve special treatment because they are buying something .

Why not just go back at 5 PM ?

Point taken.

But why not operate the shop with an aim to please customers as far as possible.

Just now, scorecard said:

Point taken.

But why not operate the shop with an aim to please customers as far as possible.

Because pleasing 1 customer may result in a massive fine and most customers are not that pathetic to cry over it, by simply stoping at the wholesale  place which is almost on every corner and buy it there.

This is not the case of shop doing wrong but someone not getting it his way exactly how he wanted it. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Let us re-iterate.

Customer wanted to buy alcohol at 13:45.Well within the parameter of the laws.

Trip to cashier..30 seconds.

It's called the law-not an unusually heavy dose of Stockholm Syndrome.

Got it?

Firstly let’s get it right 13:50 not 13:45

Secondly, hardly the end of the world to run to internet to cry about it.

And lastly no different to bars calling last drinks 30 mins prior to bar closing even though it takes less than a min to drink one.

3 minutes ago, BestB said:

Firstly let’s get it right 13:50 not 13:45

Secondly, hardly the end of the world to run to internet to cry about it.

And lastly no different to bars calling last drinks 30 mins prior to bar closing even though it takes less than a min to drink one.

Nonsense.

It is a retail outlet

Why not call no alcohol sales at 12:10?

On a whim?

Heck...anytime will do-the usual ridiculous complete lack of customer service and why shouldn't anyone one complain about it..oh I see..

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, watcharacters said:

That makes perfect sense to me CharlieH

Now if that awareness can be transferred to some of the local inhabitants,  we have a great starting point.

Well why is there this period of time 2 till 5 you can not buy alcohol

We cannot have everything we want as at home. I think he had all the time though to get the drinks before 2. Certainly if no one at cashier. So, was it so difficult to please the customer under these circumstances? No!  It was I think more the fact, to have power over the farang. Being helpful, would have been a better option, especially if there was more then time left was not 3 minutes before time, ha.

It is weird, the Goverment obsession about alcohol. I tis clear, wine is taxed so much because it are farang and very rich people that drink that. Health? WIne drinkers are not the most alcoholic, and they encourage already, to buy cheap rubbish, with no health control at all, with more sulfites and bad wine making. Ok that is another discussion, but the reason I not moved permanently, is just that I have the right to be a wine lover, and accept already, their silly business hours for it.  Thailand is among the world most sad countries for wine lovers.

11 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Nonsense.

It is a retail outlet

Why not call no alcohol sales at 12:10?

On a whim?

Heck...anytime will do-the usual ridiculous complete lack of customer service and why shouldn't anyone one complain about it..oh I see..

Why call no sales at 12:10? What whim? 10 mins prior to cut off time is perfectly reasonable  for anyone with half a brain

Speaking of nonsense ?

4 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Well why is there this period of time 2 till 5 you can not buy alcohol

When they made this law, a few years ago, i think the official reason behind it was to avoid the students to get drunk after going out of school.

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

Why call no sales at 12:10? What whim? 10 mins prior to cut off time is perfectly reasonable  for anyone with half a brain

Speaking of nonsense ?

I think it's time you went back to the void-and no it isn't "perfectly reasonable"-on your say so.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisinth said:

If you are holding the licenses, go to the wholesalers, that's what I always did (and still do even though the license has been cancelled). No restrictions on selling time there. There should be no reason to go to the chain stores for small purchases, assuming the wholesaler is within the same area.

We do shop at wholesalers. Even with license you can only buy small amounts from 11.00 til 2.00 and 5.00 til 12.00

Just now, Knocker33 said:

We do shop at wholesalers. Even with license you can only buy small amounts from 11.00 til 2.00 and 5.00 til 12.00

Not once have I been asked for license from a wholesale place or refused  a sale between the non sale times

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

Its just a shop rule , to stop people picking up alcohol just before 2 PM and not getting to the check-out on time .

They probably laughed at you, because you were making a spectacle of yourself and complaining .

I quite often see foreigners who complain about rules and who feel that they should be exempt from rules and deserve special treatment because they are buying something .

Why not just go back at 5 PM ?

It's a stupid, pointless regulation anyway and one of the reasons I prefer Cambodia's more relaxed attitude toward alcohol and much lower prices. 

8 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

When they made this law, a few years ago, i think the official reason behind it was to avoid the students to get drunk after going out of school.

Please read post #83 which is to the best of my recollection. I also think that Taksin was running the show when all of this nonsense was introduced. 

18 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

And to dissuade high school boys from missing school in the afternoon to drink alcohol. 

5 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

Please read post #83 which is to the best of my recollection. I also think that Taksin was running the show when all of this nonsense was introduced. 

Yes, i think you are right.

Still, i doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

54 minutes ago, Knocker33 said:

That has never been my experience, but respect, I understand rules are made by local authorities which affects the seller, depending where you are in Thailand.

Which brings us back full circle to the OP's problem.

Edited by chrisinth

One day in the Makro i bought some booze from the lady in the booze-department...i asked her if it was okay to buy at that time, yes okay...

So i came at the cashiers and was told i couldn't buy that booze since it was 5 minutes too late....i walked straight from the booze-lady to the cashiers...

Very frustrating

5 minutes ago, Thian said:

One day in the Makro i bought some booze from the lady in the booze-department...i asked her if it was okay to buy at that time, yes okay...

So i came at the cashiers and was told i couldn't buy that booze since it was 5 minutes too late....i walked straight from the booze-lady to the cashiers...

Very frustrating

Did you check your own watch?

The booze saleslady doesn't control the automatic block programming which blocks entries for booze between certain time periods, fitted nowadays in many / most convenient stores and supermarkets, macro etc. 

Sounds like employees just being jerks! In our village you can buy 24/7

They only sell local beer and whisky.

On business trip in Alabama stopped to grab some beers to drink at 

the hotel pool. Got to counter and was told can’t sell to you. I’m thinking

I’m so what the problem. 

Can’t buy beer in that county on Sunday. But you can go to the local bar. Which I said ohh ok I can go to bar drink and risk DUI?