Alcohol sales stop at 13.50

petedk

2 hours ago, Mike West said:

"Dinner tomorrow" you still had more than 24 hours to buy the alcohol, couldn't you just wait and get it 3 hours and 10 mins later? Can't believe you started a thread about it. 

Can't believe you bothered to comment. Much of a muchness.????

• Haha 2

They took me to a well known Pizza restaurant today, very impressive interior, but the grub was crap..Anyhooo, it was 2.30pm, I asked for a beer off the menu, waitress said,  "Sorry you cannot drink a beer till after 5pm because there is a school nearby, l said.

"But the kids are in school, plus they cannot see me in here, and at these prices there is no fear of them coming inside this place"..????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

They took me to a well known Pizza restaurant today, very impressive interior, but the grub was crap..Anyhooo, it was 2.30pm, I asked for a beer off the menu, waitress said,  "Sorry you cannot drink a beer till after 5pm because there is a school nearby, l said.

"But the kids are in school, plus they cannot see me in here, and at these prices there is no fear of them coming inside this place"..????

Yep, just shows the level of idiocy involved with this law. Same thing happened to me a few years ago at Udon Thani airport, except it wasn't about the kids it was all about the timing. No beer sales after 2.00....<deleted>?

In Chiaing Mai a couple of years ago, about 15:30, right in the middle of drytime. We were refused at several bars until one bar owner told us "No problem."

After a refreshing first drink we asked the guy why he was selling and others weren't. Did he have a deal with the local police?

"Simple. If anyone asks me why you are drinking I tell them that you bought the beer at 13:55 and are just slow drinkers."

Smart guy.

58 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I have bought alcohol from roadside wholesalers during the so called forbidden hours. Single bottles and boxes. It makes a mockery of this stupid law. Like so many here. But I like it.

Are wholesalers still exempt from that law ?

Wholesalers used to be able to sell alcohol any time they liked .

Even from 7/11's , you could buy alcohol in bulk at anytime

4 hours ago, Gandtee said:

I have bought alcohol from roadside wholesalers during the so called forbidden hours. Single bottles and boxes. It makes a mockery of this stupid law. Like so many here. But I like it.

That's not even close to being the same thing. Plus the law has nothing to do with Buddhism, if that's what you're thinking, get a clue.  

14 hours ago, dinsdale said:

As far as I'm concerned if the clock on the till hasn't clicked over to 2:00pm i.e. 1:59 you are legally entitled to purchase alcohol. I, however, wouldn't cut it that fine. As for the poster I would put a self imposed ban on that particular outlet.????

Like as if here they will even care if a foreigner votes with his feet. They were laughing him out the door. 

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

So truck drivers delivering alcohol must stop on the side of the road between 2 and 5pm because it's the law? ????????????????????

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, you can buy wholesale booze at any the bulk buy type facilities that bar & restaurant owners sometimes buy from, of which there are many. Some places such as Macro, depending on which branch, allow bulk buying during the restricted hours. i.e. a case of bottles of Vodka as opposed to a single bottle. 

There are also some caveats to this law concerning "tourist areas" I'm not sure where these waivers to the rule are in effect but presume Patts, Samui, Phuket etc. Please let me know if I am wrong here.

Edited by Catkiwi
spelling

4 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Explain roadside wholesalers please. Or, are you meaning retailers?

15 minutes ago, Mike West said:

So truck drivers delivering alcohol must stop on the side of the road between 2 and 5pm because it's the law? ????????????????????

No, I didnt suggest that or anything of the sort , I did ask whether wholesalers can still sell alcohol during that time .

You could previously even buy bulk from 7/11's to get around that law 

10 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I think you mean inebriated. However, so you are saying they stopped serving alcohol to thousands of daily commuters because of an isolated incident?

Talking to my friend about it ,he informs me someone got killed by the inebriated person.yes .and I used to like a beer on the train. Not sure if they would serve it in the restaurant coach. Going to Penang by train in October i'll find out.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, poohy said:

True ...One of their own staff was  drunk or on drugs or a mixture of the 2 he raped an killed a young girl chucked body off the train just down from my house in PKK

So reason this utter lowlife employed by SRT was drunk no more beer ..there you have it  

Thank 's for filling in the incident with full details.

Its just a shop rule , to stop people picking up alcohol just before 2 PM and not getting to the check-out on time .
   They probably laughed at you, because you were making a spectacle of yourself and complaining .
I quite often see foreigners who complain about rules and who feel that they should be exempt from rules and deserve special treatment because they are buying something .
   Why not just go back at 5 PM ?
I think the reason they probably closed early is because the two people working in the alcohol sales wanted to go to lunch and as there were no customers they decided to close.

We came as they were walking away. They had already cordonned the area off.
We didn't make a scene. My wife and I pointed out quietly that it wasn't 2 pm. They just ignored us at first, but my wife told them exactly what we wanted. They replied that we wouldn't be able to make it to the cashier on time.

The cashier is about 10 meters from alcohol sales and there weren't any customers in two of the lanes.

Yes, I have seen foreigners scream and shout and make fools of themselves, but I can assure you that only the two sales people heard our complaint and the lady at customer service.

I have lived here long enough to know that politeness and respect get you a long way. Rudeness and arrogance get you nowhere.

My wife knows the manager as she buys a lot of goods at New Year for her company and of course she will talk to her about when they meet again.

Yes we shopped elsewhere. 5 PM was a little too late as the area would be jammed full of cars.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, you can buy wholesale booze at any the bulk buy type facilities that bar & restaurant owners sometimes buy from, of which there are many. Some places such as Macro, depending on which branch, allow bulk buying during the restricted hours. i.e. a case of bottles of Vodka as opposed to a single bottle. 
There are also some caveats to this law concerning "tourist areas" I'm not sure where these waivers to the rule are in effect but presume Patts, Samui, Phuket etc. Please let me know if I am wrong here.
I know that used to be the case. If you bought at least 10 listers (wholesale) then that was permitted, but nearly all supermarkets say that law has been changed.
I have seen Macro close the wine sales off and they told us NO alcohol sales.

Most supermarkets and 7/11 have something in their software that simply refuses the staff to scan them in.

I won't mention here but there is one supermarket chain that seem to sell any amount of alcohol anytime of day. One branch is directly opposite a police station.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

"I have lived here long enough to know that politeness and respect get you a long way. Rudeness and arrogance get you nowhere."

...as clearly indicated by the 2 rude and arrogant C@#%$ who did not let you buy what you wanted and came to buy in due time!

I am living here for 11 years now and I am not giving 2 hot $4!t$ about the Thai- politeness anymore, as they use and abuse their own "rules" as they please! 

If you are an @$$4)le, be ready to be called one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1