Alcohol sales stop at 13.50

petedk

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Permitting the sale (or not) should be done at the point of sale that is "the checkout" not in the dept or aisle.(IMHO) unless its actually passed the alotted time and then as an advisory.

In our ares they dont "rope it off" they have permanent signs displayed only.

The " gone to lunch" or " in a meeting" is s standard reply in most places unfortunately, in my experience.

Yes,

And ' out to lunch ' is the usual blank-faced stare I get when asking assistance from most shop assistants in my area.

I find that staff at my local Big C are the exception and great to get along with, maybe because I am a regular face.

At the Big C, where I go, (it is a mid-sized supermarket), they have actually in the past, rang it through the till as opposed to scanning when I made a purchase of a pack of beer out of hours. It is not something I would make a habit of, although I personally find it a bit of a silly law from the Junta.

I wasn't trying to be smart, I had simply forgotten! but they found a way to sell me the beer.

Edited by Scouse123

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

I agree with you, but some Thai friend who works as a manager in a central Bkk mall, believes that customer is god.

Simply because if you don't offer a good service, the customers will go elsewhere.

Yes, but he was the manager. The 'floor' people couldn't care less.

• Like 1

If  complaining to t imagine total strangers on TV makes you feel better imagine how much better you'll feel if you go back to that store Monday and actually complain to the management? 

I wish you'd' post the name of the store or at least a  little teaser so we can play the TV guessing game.

The whole law is bullshit. Why not sell booze or other alcoholic beverages showing your ID. Problem solved. A manager of a 7/11  offered lately to punch my sales in after 17h, and took the cash. But I had to promise not to drink any before that time. I kept the promise. Carre Four, when they still had their outlets in Thailand, changed their server time to plus 20 minutes. Just another way to work around this kindergarten rule.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

What an arrogant and ridiculous attitude! The OP quite clearly stated it was 10 minutes before the cut off time and he had every right to ask for the manager. Unfortunately, as others have said, this is a typical Thai attitude and what the OP should have done is take a picture of the offending sales staff and go back when the manager was there. I am lucky because my local 7/11 lets me buy buy alcohol at any time.

If it had been after 2.00pm you might have a point, but as it is you don't!

Welcome to the thread , you are a bit late though, because the points that you raise have already been addressed in the thread previously .

14 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

What an arrogant and ridiculous attitude! The OP quite clearly stated it was 10 minutes before the cut off time and he had every right to ask for the manager. Unfortunately, as others have said, this is a typical Thai attitude and what the OP should have done is take a picture of the offending sales staff and go back when the manager was there. I am lucky because my local 7/11 lets me buy buy alcohol at any time.

If it had been after 2.00pm you might have a point, but as it is you don't!

It was quite probably, very likely that it was the manager who made the rule .

He probably didnt want possibly inebriated people running through his store at 1.57 PM carrying bottles of alcohol and pushing into the check-out queue in order to get served by 2 pm

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Knocker33 said:

This ****ing stupid law really p**ses me off. My wife holds a full bar and restaurant license but if we need just 1bottle of spirits or 1 case of beer.  Oh no you can buy 10 liters of spirits or 2 cases of beer so can get totally legless. Another brain dead law

If you are holding the licenses, go to the wholesalers, that's what I always did (and still do even though the license has been cancelled). No restrictions on selling time there. There should be no reason to go to the chain stores for small purchases, assuming the wholesaler is within the same area.

3 hours ago, Knocker33 said:

This ****ing stupid law really p**ses me off. My wife holds a full bar and restaurant license but if we need just 1bottle of spirits or 1 case of beer.  Oh no you can buy 10 liters of spirits or 2 cases of beer so can get totally legless. Another brain dead law

Are you required to drink everything all at once ?

2 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Read the post. He was not making a spectacle of himself. Not unless you consider complaining to be a spectacle. He did not ask to break the rules or get special treatment. He was making a reasonable request and receiving unreasonable answers.

Asking for the manager , his wife also complaining and then telling them that they have lost a few thousand Baht custom  and them all laughing at him as he left , is quite making a spectacle of yourself . 

Its quite simple to understand "Alcahol must be in your trolley by 1.50 PM*

The shop workers told him that , why does he need the manger to tell him again ?

He was asking to speak to the manager to try and persuade him to break the rules and allow him to make a purchase

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Asking for the manager , his wife also complaining and then telling them that they have lost a few thousand Baht custom  and them all laughing at him as he left , is quite making a spectacle of yourself . 

Its quite simple to understand "Alcahol must be in your trolley by 1.50 PM*

The shop workers told him that , why does he need the manger to tell him again ?

He was asking to speak to the manager to try and persuade him to break the rules and allow him to make a purchase

I love it.

1001 reasons why "making a spectacle of yourself"-ie-by complaining about anything in Shangri-La (or even suggesting improvements) should be studiously avoided in La La Land.

Including the relentless smog and blocked drains in Chiang Mai.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I love it.

1001 reasons why "making a spectacle of yourself"-ie-by complaining about anything in Shangri-La (or even suggesting improvements) should be studiously avoided in La La Land.

Including the relentless smog and blocked drains in Chiang Mai.

Although this thread isnt about complaining in general or the smog or the blocked drains .

We are talking about this thread and the OP was complaining , when he was clearly told the rules .

Those rules were most probably set by the manager and the shop workers wouldnt bend those rules and the manager isnt going to change his mind .

So, there was no point in the OP causing a fuss 

I think that the system of restricting alcohol purchases during the day is mad.

I often go to do my shopping at 3pm or so and cannot buy alcohol which is a pain. I do not buy to consume at that time. I never drink b4 9pm. However it is a pain to have to go out just specifically for alcohol. I was brought up with thes stupid religious based restrictions which I resent having foisted on me. I am not religious and do not see what religion or religious beliefs have to do with law which should apply logic.

If Muslim laws were applied because there was an overwhelming population of muslims then that would also not be fair. Religious belief is personal and should be kept that way.

1 minute ago, Sumarianson said:

I think that the system of restricting alcohol purchases during the day is mad.

I often go to do my shopping at 3pm or so and cannot buy alcohol which is a pain. I do not buy to consume at that time. I never drink b4 9pm. However it is a pain to have to go out just specifically for alcohol. I was brought up with thes stupid religious based restrictions which I resent having foisted on me. I am not religious and do not see what religion or religious beliefs have to do with law which should apply logic.

If Muslim laws were applied because there was an overwhelming population of muslims then that would also not be fair. Religious belief is personal and should be kept that way.

I dont think that the alcohol restriction time laws have anything to do with any Religion

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although this thread isnt about complaining in general or the smog or the blocked drains .

We are talking about this thread and the OP was complaining , when he was clearly told the rules .

Those rules were most probably set by the manager and the shop workers wouldnt bend those rules and the manager isnt going to change his mind .

So, there was no point in the OP causing a fuss 

The legal requirements are-Alcohol sales cease at 2pm.

Not when any Somchai/Somchess says they do.

The poster was there at 13:45 hours and was fed a whole lot of water buffalo manure.

It is very likely that the Thai-and you-have never read any Thomas Hobbes.

..and don't give me any of that "If you don't like it here.." stuff-I am not handcuffed to a bamboo charpoy and can come and go as I please-as long as I meet the legal requirements.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 2

Just now, Odysseus123 said:

The legal requirements are-Alcohol sales cease at 2pm.

Not when any Somchai/Somchess says they do.

The poster was there at 13:45 hours and was fed a whole lot of water buffalo manure.

It is very likely that the Thai-and you-have never read any Thomas Hobbes.

Welcome to the thread, another one a bit late and hasnt read the posts in the thread .

Alcohol was allowed to be purchased at 2 PM , he just had to take it off the shelf by ten  minutes prior to that , in order to have enough time to get from the alcohol aisle to the till

6 hours ago, poohy said:

Another Thaier than Thai apologist hes got 10 mins to walk to the check out, not climbing  bleeding Everest!

Why is it that people are called Thai apologists every time when they don't agree with, or offer an alternative theory about, the story behind someones complaints about Thais and Thai ways? It's a discussion forum, as such we should be open to other theories and opinions. No reason to dumb it down to a "Thai basher vs. Thai apologist" level.

There might be other factors in play than the ones described by the OP.  They all might have been laughing at something completely unrelated, though perceived by the OP as them laughing at him (hard to judge, as we weren't there) ... and they probably had shop rules to adhere to, no matter how stupid those rules are. Thai workers really are sticklers for rules, though, in many cases.

Any shop is in their right to refuse service, as long as they don't discriminate – actually, I think they might even be allowed to discriminate here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I dont think that the alcohol restriction time laws have anything to do with any Religion

If I recall correctly, the original intent was to stop people drinking and driving during the afternoon / evening school kids traveling home and heaver work traffic heading home times. I could be wrong but I think it was also around the same time that alcohol was no longer allowed to be sold in gas stations. It is a pain because having it the supermarkets makes it easy to pick up with your grocery shopping but you can't buy before 10 am or 11 am I think, then from 2 pm to 5 pm. That's a big chunk out of the day to plan your grocery shopping around. 

• Like 1