Lost my Thai Sim card

pumpjack

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You can go to the provider (i.e. AIS) and tell them you lost it and want a new one.

If you have the same documentation like when you applied the first time (i.e. passport) then they will give you a new SIM on the spot and the old SIM won't work anymore.

With the same No. ..I think that is the important bit to point out.

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You can go to the provider (i.e. AIS) and tell them you lost it and want a new one.

If you have the same documentation like when you applied the first time (i.e. passport) then they will give you a new SIM on the spot and the old SIM won't work anymore.

It's not that simple. 

I had to go see the police and make a police report. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, VYCM said:

It's not that simple. 

I had to go see the police and make a police report. 

Exceptional. And it was registered to your name?

As written, I went to AIS with my wife after she lost her phone with SIM.

15 minutes out with new nano SIM.

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Before it was like that, but today they'll need a police report. OP need to go to a police station and report the SIM card missing, pay 20 baht (if not changed) for a report, and then go to the provider (AIS) to get a new SIM card on the spot (talk from experience)...????

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, harrry said:

You of course do not know you left it in your home country, you found you did not have it when you looked for it in Thailand.  Very important for the police report as it must be reported where lost.

Yes, this is a very important consideration.  I had my wallet with Thai driver's license stolen in Athens, got a police report from Athens, and tried to report it as stolen in Athens at several Thai police stations.  None would do it.  One finally explained I would need to have the Athens police report (in Greek and English) translated to Thai, then certified by my Embassy or the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (I forget which).  You get the picture.  Finally, I ended up at the Tourist Police office in Phuket Town where the very nice officer explained to me the same procedure and then looking me in the eyes said it's too bad I hadn't lost it in Thailand.  I guess I could have changed my story at that moment and he would have issued me the report, but to save everyone's face (his and mine) I just said I understood and went to my local police station instead.  Told them I lost the driver's license (this time without showing them the Athens police report) and they assumed that I'd lost it in Thailand and wrote me a nice police report of the loss to take to the Land Transport Office.  I'm slow but not completely hopeless ????

Edited by skatewash
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, khunPer said:
21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Before it was like that, but today they'll need a police report. OP need to go to a police station and report the SIM card missing, pay 20 baht (if not changed) for a report, and then go to the provider (AIS) to get a new SIM card on the spot (talk from experience)...????

My experience was from about 12 months ago. At that time nobody asked for a police report. But I also did not complain that the SIM was stolen or that something was incorrectly charged. I just told them that I lost it - and they replaced it within minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My experience was from about 12 months ago. At that time nobody asked for a police report. But I also did not complain that the SIM was stolen or that something was incorrectly charged. I just told them that I lost it - and they replaced it within minutes.

Wow, my experience is older, however I also lost it – dropped the phone (by mistake) in a sewer...????

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Exceptional. And it was registered to your name?

As written, I went to AIS with my wife after she lost her phone with SIM.

15 minutes out with new nano SIM.

Yep, it's a different ball game when your wife (thai) has an issue.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But I also did not complain that the SIM was stolen or that something was incorrectly charged. I just told them that I lost it

Important point.

Even if you suspect: don't say "stolen" except you hope that police would search and find :whistling:.

"lost phone" !

Happened to me a few times. As others say if it were registered to you with a passport then just get a new one with same number.

I have had the same number for 8 years and only once (terminal 21 asok) out of a bunch of times was I told I would need a police report. 

After they refused me I immediately went to Ekkamais emporium where they happily did replaced it without a report.

Another example of policies not being the same accross all branches.

I am a bit sympathetic to the cause though as a Thai friend told me it has to do with the misuse of phones/sims by bombers in the south. 

28 minutes ago, JerseytoBKK said:

2 months ago I went into a DTAC location in Bangkok and said my new phone needs a new micro sim. They didn't ask for the old sim, just ID. I showed a copy of my passport and had a new sim with my existing number in 5 minutes.

A few years back I did the same with AIS.

They cancel your old sim when activating the micro sim.

This is a different issue, not related.

I've had lost SIMs replaced by AIS, DTAC and TrueMove H.

I simply and accurately say that I lost it, they ask for my original passport to verify I am the registered owner, then map the new SIM to the old number, which obviously renders the lost SIM unusable. It takes ~ 60 seconds, and I have not been charged for this service.