Yi Peng 2018

stament

So I wonder if you just show up, what would happen? None of the locals are paying the prices quoted in this thread. In 2013 there were 2 events, one for locals, one for tourists who didn't do their research. I am curious to see what would happen if you just rode out there on the scooter and mingled in with the rest of the people.

5 hours ago, Malindi said:

So I wonder if you just show up, what would happen? None of the locals are paying the prices quoted in this thread. In 2013 there were 2 events, one for locals, one for tourists who didn't do their research. I am curious to see what would happen if you just rode out there on the scooter and mingled in with the rest of the people.

You are talking about Mae Jo right?

On 11/18/2018 at 9:53 AM, Malindi said:

Only 1 event now and its the paid one

On 11/13/2018 at 8:27 AM, watgate said:

I am so glad I had the chance to go to several of the magnificent lantern releases at Mae Jo when they were still free and uncommercialzed. All you had to do was spend 100 baht for a Kom Loy and you entered the venue and were in a magical surrounding replete with many colorful garbed monks and huge throngs of folks all there to marvel at the festivities. Unfortunately, like most things in Thailand, money takes precedence and the powers to be saw an opportunity to turn the once free festivities into a lucrative enterprise.

I seem to remember that there were Kom Koy provided free, although there were plenty on sale too.