My Thai wife always ask me when will my salary come

mentalcolonization

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

We move in different circles then. Of the 40 odd farangs I have worked with in Thailand over the past 25 years more than 20 have married Thais. Of those I only know of 2 divorces.

OTOH of the rest of my friends back in the UK over half have divorced (I am one of them).

I have known my Thai wife for 25 years, married for 18 of them and we have a 14 year old son. 

I tell her when we get paid and about how much money we have at any time in our joint bank account. 

According to the majority of posters on this thread I must be old and stupid.

I think they are wrong and it seems that many of them have been burnt once or twice themselves already.

I have to agree with you - you may be old - I've no idea but you're  not stupid!

In the "old days" in the UK the man went out to work, and the woman looked after the house and children. Although divorce happened, it was very rare, because there was a certain stigma attached to it, and people actually meant it when they said "til death do us part". Nowadays that statement is a farce, and the "nanny" state, "Equal Opportunities for Women" and "keeping up with the Jones'" all play a part in broken marriages, and I include myself twice in that statement!

Here in Thailand, I have been with my Thai wife for more than ten years, and up to now we have had the occasional argument, but NEVER any major problems - basically because I am the one that pays for the food on the table and all the bills out of my pension(s) and she takes care of me and the house. The only difference to the "old days" in the UK is that she does have to send some money home to help support her aged mother and family (the old age pension here is 500 baht a month!) whereas in the UK the aged parents "lived in", but there's no way I'm moving to Esan!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Let's be fair, there would be plenty of wives in all countries who ask the same / similar question. 

Not really the same is it...wives in other countries may ask as they want to buy food or pay utilities for the household...here its asking so they can send it off to the extended family. I bet the OP sees none of what he gives her and ends up paying for everything as well.

• Sad 1

On 9/26/2018 at 12:41 AM, janclaes47 said:

Maybe you try to learn comprehensive reading, instead of making ASSumptions then, because I made my reasons clear that is was because "

"My Thai wife always ask me when will my salary come"

What that has to do with renting of property goes completely over my head.

What I do understand is that many members in this thread, as usual when it concerns their 40 year younger spouse, live in denial.

Until the day that they have to sign up under a new username with a first thread : my friend..........." 55555555555555555555555

Gosh! is it "children's day" already?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

And you make a lot of assumptions about other people personal circumstances.

And you don't seem to recognize that sending money home is standard in Thailand, it's expected by parents and accepted by children they have a duty / responsibility to send money home to support mom and dad, been like this forever. Different culture, different expectations, nothing more / nothing less.

Agree completely, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, part of the reason for that is that the Old Age Pension here is 500 baht a month, compared to about 20,000 a month in the UK! 

• Like 2