Psychopath living in my condo building // possibly needing to relocate - thoughts?

thedevilandgod

Brand new here, longtime lurker/reader. We live in Bangkok near Sukhumvit in a pet-friendly condo unit.

Any lawyers here?

Here's the deal (TLDR - story features dogs, psychopath with a hatred for dogs, police)

Our condo is a known pet-friendly condo unit in the Sukhumvit area. They allow dogs up to 15kg, our dog is less than 10 and super friendly.

We've made friends over the months with others in the building, and they always warned us about this one crazy guy from Germany who lives in our building. That he has snuck up behind dog owners and videotaped them, threatened to kill them and their dogs, made gun shooting gestures, said he would buy a gun, etc.

One day, I was teaching in Nonthaburi, and I get a text from my wife (we're both Americans); she is in tears, he apparently threatened to kill her and my dog.

I rush home, by then she went to the police station and filed a formal police report. A day or so later, I see him outside, so I get in between him and his car and tell him I'll break his legs if I ever see him talk to my wife again. He calls the cops on me, slowly other dog owners come out to walk their dogs and see the altercation, they get involved and vouch for me, cops do nothing and basically tell me I am legally allowed to defend my wife (by whatever means) if he makes another violent threat or gesture.

2 months have gone by and our condo ownership hasn't stood up to him, or even issued him a letter. Nothing on behalf of our condo association or their management. The staff and security are AFRAID of him. They tuck their tails and let him boss people around. He's threatened staff, security, everyone.

I know (or at least, I hope) that pushing this story out to the public would do some harm to their image and their "pet-friendliness," which seems to take second-seat to this man's psychotic outbursts and behavior. The police have said that they will get involved and cuff him if he starts shit again. I started a LINE group and private Facebook page to keep other condo tenants in our property in the know about his current outbursts. It's taken off and word has spread throughout our property, but still the management (with whom we've met formally about this situation) haven't even lifted a finger to our defense. We rent, he owns—but that's not enough reason that he can threaten to shoot people (and dogs).

He threatens women, has also apparently kicked a dog while it was in a cage, shoved a woman and her dog out of an elevator in our building (and told her he'd buy a gun and shoot her and her dog)…What recourse do I (or others) have for self-defense, or what legal action can we pursue?

---

On top of this, we just rescued a 25kg soi dog two nights back in Pai that was hit by a car and he is coming home with us (we drove from BKK to Pai and are now in Chiangmai so he can get surgery on his hip). Does anyone know of any good condos/townhouses/areas along Sukhumvit that have some green that we can move to that's pet-friendly for our growing family?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Have the wife always have her phone out, and ready to record, as she moves about the condo property.   Sounds like a nasty situation, not sure adding to the extended K9 family will help, until the neighbour situation is remedied.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

I'm curious, was the 'dogs allowed' rule in effect when he purchased the condo? Or, was the rule changed later to attract more business? If he bought a condo knowing that pets were allowed, then he's an idiot. If they changed the rule after he purchased I understand his frustration, but making threats isn't going to change the situation. His only real recourse is to sell and move on.

From what I was told by management, yes—the property was pet-friendly from day one. Initially the condo was zoned (or something, not sure) for 20kg at time of purchase, but as of now they only allow up to 15kg dogs.

I agree about the idiocy, but he's so stubborn that he wants to change the place's rules to not be pet-friendly. Since the beginning, his consistent arguing and fighting has forced our condo to change juristic managers about five times (they all quit, because he said "my job is to either get you fired or make you quit"), and he has managed to get them to change the rules so that dogs aren't allowed in the regular elevators (only the half-working service lifts), and car parks (makes no sense if I want to drive with my dog somewhere). His latest thing is to ban dogs from walking in the front of the buildings—that they can only walk in a single strip of pavement near the service lifts in the back. He says it's because he doesn't want to walk in piss. Logical, except for the fact that you live in Bangkok where filth is the norm—about a week ago they caught a driver pissing on the ground next to the building. He was well aware he could use our facilities, but chose to do so anyway.

He refuses to sell, anyway. Makes no sense, since there's hundreds of beautiful, new, no-pet condos in our area alone.

On second note, I received a line message last night from a random person in our building saying they just filed a police report yesterday, so something must've happened again while we're traveling...

Edited by thedevilandgod

17 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Have the wife always have her phone out, and ready to record, as she moves about the condo property.   Sounds like a nasty situation, not sure adding to the extended K9 family will help, until the neighbour situation is remedied.

Thanks, yeah - I told her to keep her phone on her at all times, with some pepper spray. I wrote a letter and translated it into Japanese and Thai for the tenants and we have been passing it along, with info for the local police, juristic info, QR codes for the line id's of our management, and a note to keep phones on themselves.

He's been quiet since I pushed him/screamed in his face, but probably because he has never had someone do that back to him. It seems the norm here to avoid conflict, even if it is a man threatening to kill your wife.

18 hours ago, johng said:

I don't understand why poeple want to keep dogs in a condo..dont they need somewhere to run around for exercise + poo and pee ?

That depends on your dog and it’s breed. Mine doesn’t like to walk much since he has knee problems and is a miniature breed. Balconies and dog toilets take care of poo and pee. A Labrador or Siberian husky might find a small condo claustrophobic but for our little chihuahua 70 sqm is plenty of Space. That’s why most pet friendly condos put a weight limit on cats and dogs.

im german and people like this made me leave the country in the first place. It’s the typical german bs, policing other people and insisting on law and order lol....

• Like 2

Thais will never get involved, they avoid and hate confrontations especially if the guy is the owner. 

Even in America what can the condo association do to the owner? 

Sounds like this guy is just a bully that needs a good beat down. 

A real psychopath doesn't act the way you described him at all. Most people cannot even tell who is a real psychopath. The guy surely have some anger issues but I doubt he would kill anyone.

Is this German guy a small guy w bad teeth btw? 

5 minutes ago, 3421abc said:

Thais will never get involved, they avoid and hate confrontations especially if the guy is the owner. 

Even in America what can the condo association do to the owner? 

Sounds like this guy is just a bully that needs a good beat down. 

A real psychopath doesn't act the way you described him at all. Most people cannot even tell who is a real psychopath. The guy surely have some anger issues but I doubt he would kill anyone.

Is this German guy a small guy w bad teeth btw? 

Mid 40's, balding, apparently docks people's pay at his work if they put their foot against the outside wall of the building...called my friend a faggot to his face, then said my other friend is racist for pointing out he's German haha..

Not some little old German man. Sorry, I do have respect for people, but I lose that respect the second you threaten my wife, whether you're serious or not...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, zzidenn said:

Bullshit, if you can’t keep your dog clean, it’s obviously your shortcoming. My dog is clean and smells great. I am very curious though what you would smell like, chained to a pole in the front yard half of the time with the odd hosing down every now and then. 

Well as you question what i would smell like being chained.

Sometimes i smell terrible after i have s++t myself, cause i am chained 24 hours a day.

Being chained to a wheelchair because of paraplegia, must be similar to a dog being chained.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

You not going to like my suggestion but I would slap him around, hard and enough to knock him to the ground.

slap does not leave many marks or draw any blood.

can not be charged with assault but will be fined 2000 baht for fighting .

Aim for upper jaw, closer to ear. No marks at all, ear will hurt and ring for weeks after.

To be smart , make sure it’s in public and he starts the threats. Perfect reason for self defense.

thats what I would do but I am a thug ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1