Jail birds - Thailand considers prison for feeding pigeons

snoop1130

Jail birds - Thailand considers prison for feeding pigeons

2018-09-26T090729Z_1_LYNXNPEE8P0SI_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-PIGEONS.JPG

Government officers catch pigeons on a street side in Bangkok, Thailand September 26, 2018. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

BANGKOK (Reuters) - The Thai capital is considering jailing people who feed pigeons in public to try to eliminate the risk of bird flu and other diseases, officials said on Wednesday.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is spearheading a campaign to catch pigeons and has vowed to impose a ban on feeding them - violators could be jailed for up to three months, face a 25,000 baht (£584.8) fine, or both.

"There's a risk to humans in places where there is a high concentration of pigeons," Taweesak Lertprapan, deputy Bangkok governor, told Reuters as bird catchers caught pigeons around him at a public square.

Other cities around the world have imposed similar bans, including Italian tourist favourite Venice where feeding pigeons is illegal - but there is no threat of serving time.

In Bangkok, pigeons - often dubbed "rats with wings" - are often found in crowded areas, including temples, markets and public parks.

Taweesak said health risks from pigeons include respiratory diseases, meningitis and bird flu.

"The most effective solution is to stop feeding them," Taweesak said.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha this month ordered a nationwide campaign to reduce the number of pigeons in populated areas.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-9-26

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

should be the same for feeding soi dogs, rabies is lot worse to have than bird flu. 

And what about monkeys ,they are becoming a real problem also.

They loose their fear for humans and raid crops more and more where i live.There are signs telling to not feed the monkeys but they could have saved that money for something else.The monkeys are becoming a real plague.Fireworks can be heard from 6 in the morning.

Edited by jvs
  • Confused 1

"Thailand considers prison for feeding pigeons"

Another idiotic solution to the problem by the idiots who run the country.

I say put a bounty on the pigeons, Dead or Alive, and make it worthwhile. Every scavenger will be out there to try and earn some money. 

The more enterprising roadside chefs might even consider cooking them for a profit; just like they do in Vietnam. Thailand v Vietnam for brains.......a no brainer!

Vietnam_FoodPigeonPlate_AyuOshimi_CCBY-SA.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

"Thailand considers prison for feeding pigeons"

Another idiotic solution to the problem by the idiots who run the country.

I say put a bounty on the pigeons, Dead or Alive, and make it worthwhile. Every scavenger will be out there to try and earn some money. 

The more enterprising roadside chefs might even consider cooking them for a profit; just like they do in Vietnam. Thailand v Vietnam for brains.......a no brainer!

Vietnam_FoodPigeonPlate_AyuOshimi_CCBY-SA.jpg

Don`t think it`s that simple.

Where I live there are feral chickens roaming about everywhere. No one eats them because they are probably full of diseases and parasites and I guess the same applies with street pigeons.  Chickens and pigeons that are suitable as edible must be farmed or specially bred for the purpose.

Edited by cyberfarang
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, jvs said:

They loose their fear for humans and raid crops more and more where i live.There are signs telling to not feed the monkeys but they could have saved that money for something else.The monkeys are becoming a real plague.Fireworks can be heard from 6 in the morning.

I had training job a few years back in Terengganu. Outside the school was bush and you could see monkeys about 500m out in some trees. A few of the instructors started tossing fruit and over a few weeks they slowly became unafraid of us. One day I'm outside and I'm sitting having a break when I see this monkey (the alpha) slowly walking up about 100m out. So I stood up figuring the monkey would amble away. It was fair size with big teeth which I could see when he broke into a run at me. I rounded the corner of the school and bee hived towards the classroom entrance, about 100m. A few of my trainees were outside and started howling with laughter as I zipped pass them into the school. The monkey turned before the school and went back to the bush. After that they would get into the school on weekends and make a huge mess in the instructors little kitchen. The company finally had to have the pros come in and relocate about 12 . I feel for you JVS, when they lose the fear they're a little scary.     

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jvs said:

Believe it or not the following works.

The difficult part is the first part.

Set up a trap cage and put food in it for a few days until the monkeys get used to it.

After they have no fear of it and go inside for the food set the trap.

When you catch one monkey inside spray it with a good few bright colours of harmless vegetable based dyes.

Let the monkey go.

It heads back to the troup and they run from it because it scares them. It doesn't know that so keeps trying to follow in a day or two they are a long way away and the dye fades out so they all end up happy somewhere else.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

That's monkey abuse.. Will it work on soi dogs [emoji16]

Set up a trap cage and put food in it for a few days until the monkeys get used to it.
When you catch one monkey inside spray it with a good few bright colours of harmless vegetable based dyes.
Let the monkey go.
It heads back to the troup and they run from it because it scares them. It doesn't know that so keeps trying to follow in a day or two they are a long way away and the dye fades out so they all end up happy somewhere else.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Let the monkey go.

Well believe it or not it is very easy for us to catch a monkey or a whole bunch.The used to go into the chicken house the moment we were out of sight.So we let the door open just a little bit,they had to squeeze in,they did!!We closed the door and only a small hole in the bottom so the chickens could get in,well guess what,so do monkeys!!

Now we have two doors both with very small holes and food only in the far end of it.So far they stay out but let me tell you 'monkeys love eggs.One behind each cheek and one in one hand .

We lost our dog due to a snake bite but he used to chase them and even caught a slow one.

6 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

should be the same for feeding soi dogs, rabies is lot worse to have than bird flu. 

Yup and the birds don't bite children or people.

Also soi-cats are very annoying and can have rabies. And all the rats on Sukhumvit do a perfect job promoting thailand on youtube.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1