Why are Thai people so against thinking?

afsheen

One of my staff was angry all day because her 18 year old daughter is going to Ko Larn tomorrow for 2 days .

Her worry was that it’s rainy and stormy, boat could easily overturn and daughter could drown .

Daughters response was, boats have life jackets and she can swim.

i decided to help out.

i told mum, that if boat sinks and daughter dies, boat insurance and government will pay her about 1 million baht.

She wanted I give her some hard evidence like a Facebook post( do not laugh)

Told her could not find Facebook post but it’s a fact.

Mum is now all at ease about daughter going.

So who said Thai can not think?????

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Perhaps you might consider changing your ID here to "Just Apologist."  :sleep:

Awww, that's too bad that you spoiled the discussion there John, calling somebody an apologist is just a sign of not being able to verbalize an argument, a cop out from a ratioinal debate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

Not true. Everybody who works for 60 minutes a week on the family farm counts as employed. Every self-employed person ( there are millions of them) and every person working in the informal sector is counted as employed. Nothing to do with the number you get from developed nations.

Not true.  You don't know what you are talking about.  Post a link.  Or.  Google National Statistical Office Thailand employment survey. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course not dumb people can watch sport.

I would only think anyone dumb if they thought sport was important.

Sorry to be off topic..

It's obvious that you don't care about sports, and i appreciate that, but..

I have a great admiration for Pep Guardiola, he is a football coach and manager, i would describe him as the completely opposite of dumb.

The same could be said of nearly all the people who have had a lot of success making a living with sport.

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Sorry to be off topic..

It's obvious that you don't care about sports, and i appreciate that, but..

I have a great admiration for Pep Guardiola, he is a football coach and manager, i would describe him as the completely opposite of dumb.

The same could be said of nearly all the people who have had a lot of success making a living with sport.

Fair enough. I guess people that actually make a living off it are far from dumb, but I've always wondered about people that spend large sums of money to wear the official garb ( that changes every season so the clubs get to keep making loadsacash ), and spend serious cash to watch men kicking a ball around a field when they could just stay home and watch it on tv.

Still, some would say I was really dumb to spend loadsacash on women, and they are probably right.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Thai people are not "against thinking"!   "Don't think too much" is just an expression, the literal translation of a Thai expression, that means "don't get too serious about something that is not important".

Save your angst.

Easier to consider the source and from which the general ignorance derives.  

23 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

Google "definition thai unemployed " and read the link of the newspaper that can't be named here( Bangkok Post). Then you can admit that you are wrong.

First thing is the article you quoted says Agriculture is 40% of economy.  Now it's down to 32%.  Second if you lose your job as a bank teller and go back home and work on the family farm you are counted as employed.  Well ya? The article says the government does not count foreign workers that would further reduce the unemployment rate.  Your article says, " Our unemployment rate has been low not because of a different definition from other countries"  

If you really want to debate the issue get up to date and come up with a reason that farmers should not be counted as employed persons.  I have a brother in law who grows rice and makes 5 million baht a year (big farm) but he actually only works 3 months out of 12.  Should he be counted as unemployed? 

14 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The OP is referencing his interaction with people who have minimal education and who  most likely come from environments where they were exposed to chemicals/pollution and suffered malnutrition during their early development.

If the OP were to associate with people other than bar workers, common labourers,  sex workers etc., he would find that the people behave quite differently. The OP is merely describing the Thai version of himself.

Who is lucky enough to live in an environment preserved from pollutions of all kinds these days?

And who are you associating with who doesn't behave like "common labourers" (OMG these people who work with their hands!)?

Of course, there are very well educated elites, mostly Thai-Chinese, but the 0.01% is not considered as representative of the population...and generally not much inclined to mingle with the retired average Joe...

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fair enough. I guess people that actually make a living off it are far from dumb, but I've always wondered about people that spend large sums of money to wear the official garb ( that changes every season so the clubs get to keep making loadsacash ), and spend serious cash to watch men kicking a ball around a field when they could just stay home and watch it on tv.

Still, some would say I was really dumb to spend loadsacash on women, and they are probably right.

Practicing sports is important...watching sports is not...as for those who make a living out of sports, they are certainly less important than many other professionals who are not paid so well, and yet are more useful to society...

36 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

As an independent worker, a farmer is not employed and thus cannot be unemployed.

The same goes for the millions of "self-employed" Thai street and market vendors.

Employed people in the private sector are a minority in Thailand, hence the low unemployment rate...because very few of these lucky people quit their jobs or are fired.

In a developed economy, a 1% unemployment rate is impossible, because there is always a "friction" (people moving from one job to another) that keeps the unemployment rate hovering around 4%...in case of full employment and non massaged figures, which is becoming rare these days...

No.  https://www.economy.com/thailand/agriculture-employment/

It would make it easier if you knew something about how unemployment statistics are calculated in Thailand or the West. 

USA for example.

Despite what many people believe, the unemployment rate is not measured by calculating the number of people collecting unemployment insurance. In fact, the government comes up with this much-anticipated number each month by following a process that more closely resembles the U.S. Census. The unemployment rate is measured by a division of the Department of Labor known as the Bureau of Labor Statistics, or BLS. This government agency conducts a monthly survey called the Current Population Survey that involves 60,000 households. These households are selected using random sampling methods designed to generate as close an approximation as possible to the larger population.

• Like 1

It's not a question about if Thai's think or not ,  they think and solve problems if they are in a group of people .   They are not taught to be individual thinkers.   

That's why it's so hard sometimes to ask a question and get an honest, "individual" answer.  

It's all about their culture and upbringing. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

No.  https://www.economy.com/thailand/agriculture-employment/

It would make it easier if you knew something about how unemployment statistics are calculated in Thailand or the West. 

USA for example.

Despite what many people believe, the unemployment rate is not measured by calculating the number of people collecting unemployment insurance. In fact, the government comes up with this much-anticipated number each month by following a process that more closely resembles the U.S. Census. The unemployment rate is measured by a division of the Department of Labor known as the Bureau of Labor Statistics, or BLS. This government agency conducts a monthly survey called the Current Population Survey that involves 60,000 households. These households are selected using random sampling methods designed to generate as close an approximation as possible to the larger population.

If you had paid attention while reading my post, you would have noticed that I was not talking at all about how the unemployment rate is determined.

I was just providing general information regarding the meaning of "employment".

Of course, if the Labor Department calls, say 20,000 farmers and asks them what their current situation is, the latter will answer that they are farmers and will by definition not be counted as unemployed, even if they spend their days sleeping in a hammock!

And if they call another 20,000 street vendors, the result will be the same, whatever activity these people perform.

Only if they call a guy who was employed in, say a Toyota factory, and who answers that he was fired for whatever reason, will they get their hands on an officially unemployed person and be able to finally draw a line on their empty board.

In an economy like the one of Thailand, the unemployment rate doesn't mean much.

Edited by Brunolem
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

If you had paid attention while reading my post, you would have noticed that I was not talking at all about how the unemployment rate is determined.

Of course, if the Labor Department calls, say 20,000 farmers and asks them what their current situation is, the latter will answer that they are farmers and will by definition not be counted as unemployed, even if they spend their days sleeping in a hammock!

And if they call another 20,000 street vendors, the result will be the same, whatever activity these people perform.

Only if they call a guy who was employed in, say a Toyota factory, and who answers that he was fired for whatever reason, will they get their hands on an officially unemployed person and be able to finally draw a line on their empty board.

In an economy like the one of Thailand, the unemployment rate doesn't mean much.

Give it a rest for god's sake! As said previously the employment rate is determined by sampling, the same process that is used in many countries in the West - respondent answers will be measured or gauged against their previous month's answer, farmers will not be asked if they are employed or not or even to classify themselves on that basis....ditto other self employed job types.

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

The unemployment rate is just as accurate in Thailand as any other country with the same range of jobs.  What does that have to do with Thai people being against thinking?  People who think are employed people who don't think are employed.  What is the connection?

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Practicing sports is important...watching sports is not...as for those who make a living out of sports, they are certainly less important than many other professionals who are not paid so well, and yet are more useful to society...

I don't want to defend the excessive emoluments of sport superstars, but the market works on the basis of offer and demand.

Sports like football canalize ordinary people's inner violence, in that way they are more than important to keep at bay the worse instincts.

16 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I don't want to defend the excessive emoluments of sport superstars, but the market works on the basis of offer and demand.

Sports like football canalize ordinary people's inner violence, in that way they are more than important to keep at bay the worse instincts.

Well...actually I have seen much more violence in and around football stadiums than in, say movie theaters or museums...

Just now, Brunolem said:

Well...actually I have seen much more violence in and around football stadiums than in, say movie theaters or museums...

LOL that is exactly my point, at least museums and theaters are relatively safe.

3 hours ago, balo said:

It's not a question about if Thai's think or not ,  they think and solve problems if they are in a group of people .   They are not taught to be individual thinkers.   

That's why it's so hard sometimes to ask a question and get an honest, "individual" answer.  

It's all about their culture and upbringing.

4th Thailand Rapid Chess Championships 2018 Woman

1st Thailand Junior Chess Team Championships 2018

1st Thailand Junior Chess Team Championships 2018

Ha ha you falang always fall for that same stuff.  Thais can't think alone.  Ha ha.  Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia never tell that to falang and they get colonized.  We convince you that having a buffer state is good idea.  Ha ha. Like North and South Ireland.  Ha ha.  Girls from Issan score many Falang all alone - can't trust other Issan lady you know.  How 18 year old girl all alone smarter than bar full of Farang?  Ha ha.

If Thailand were group thinkers they would have harems.  Nope.  Forest monks meditate alone.  Thai's don't need group to get courage like English football they have all alone Muay Thai.  Famous Thai movie Tom Yum Goong - lone hero. 

I think Falang can't think alone fall for all that stereotype stuff that is pushed by groups of drunks in expat bars.  Falang can't think by himself.