Most Bangkokians stressed, unhappy: survey

webfact

By The Nation

41627e0fdb58cb7f9b7fa31915fa55a0.jpeg

File photo

Mental health dept finds nearly half of capital’s residents suffer from stress, Provincial people found to be happier

NEARLY HALF of Bangkok’s residents are losing their happiness due to stress, with bread-and-butter problems ranking among the most common causes. Bangkokians were also found to be less happy overall in comparison to people living in other provinces. 

These conclusions come from surveys conducted by the Mental Health Department. Bangkok residents were surveyed between July and August this year, while people in other provinces were surveyed in 2015. 

“Of the 2,261 Bangkok respondents, 45 per cent showed an abnormal level of stress,” Mental Health Department’s director-general Sqn Leader Boonruang Triruang-worawat revealed yesterday. 

It is normal for people to have a certain level of stress, but this should not go beyond level 4 in a stress-assessment scale, he said. 

However, the survey found that nearly half of the adults living in Bangkok had stress levels of five to 15. 

“About 8 per cent have recorded stress at between 10 and 15, which means they are extremely stressed out,” Boonruang said. 

Targeting Bangkokians between 15 to 60 of age, the survey covered students, civil servants, workers, vendors, company employees and the unemployed. The largest group of respondents held a Bachelor’s degree and earned between Bt25,001 and Bt35,000 a month. 

Thaweesak Sirirutraykha, who heads the Bangkok Mental Health Office Centre, said the survey found that the biggest causes of stress were financial problems and rising living expenses. Other causes, he said, were anxiety, family problems, excessive news consumption and interpersonal relationships. 

“Nearly one in four respondents suffer sleep disorders due to stress,” he revealed, adding that stress made some respondents frustrated, others irritable, while some preferred to stay away from people. 

When asked how they dealt with stress, 20.92 per cent said they tried to accept their problems, while 15.80 per cent opted for watching movies or television. Another 8.56 per cent chose to visit temples to make merit, while some 6.62 per cent worked out their frustrations in the gym and some 5.52 per cent preferred to go travelling. Only 4.99 per cent tried to find a friend to talk to. 

Boonruang said judging by the 2015 survey of people outside the capital, Bangkokians were certainly less happy. 

“Our 2015 survey found 83.6 per cent of people living in the provinces were happy, but in the Bangkok survey, only 67.89 per cent were happy,” he said. 

The happiness level of about 32.11 per cent of Bangkok participants was lower than normal. 

“We hope to boost happiness for all Thais,” Boonruang said. 

“Our goal is to make Thailand the 26th happiest nation in the world by 2036. When people are happy, their work performance improves and so does their immunity. When people are happy, society also becomes pleasant.” 

Earlier this year, Thailand fell several places in the world’s happiness rankings. The latest World Happiness Report ranked Thailand 46th, dropping from 32nd last year, while Finland emerged as the “happiest nation” in the world.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30355357

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-28

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Mental Health Department’s director-general Sqn Leader Boonruang Triruang-worawat revealed yesterday

Having an Air Force Squadron Leader as the man in charge of the Cuckoos Nest Department seems a most unusual appointment. The precedent has been set that Thai military personnel are the best qualified for any job.

I would have thought a qualified psychiatrist might be more appropriate, but it seems not. 

Departmental monthly management meeting!

53 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Having an Air Force Squadron Leader as the man in charge of the Cuckoos Nest Department seems a most unusual appointment. The precedent has been set that Thai military personnel are the best qualified for any job.

I would have thought a qualified psychiatrist might be more appropriate, but it seems not. 

Departmental monthly management meeting!

Sqn Leader Boonruang Triruang-worawat is a doctor. Whether she is actually a psychiatrist, I do not know, but given her status and position, it would be rather surprising if she were not.

There is nothing unusual about a medical professional holding a military rank.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

It's mainly from the traffic being far too busy....spending several hours a day in very slow traffic is very frustrating. Standing in an overloaded skytrain also is no fun.

Sounds just like London.

When I lived in the UK I visited London every year for a few days. I always got excited before my visits but was glad to come home after a few days.

Bangkok is exactly the same, I love it, great city but I could never live there.

21 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Sounds just like London.

When I lived in the UK I visited London every year for a few days. I always got excited before my visits but was glad to come home after a few days.

Bangkok is exactly the same, I love it, great city but I could never live there.

I think BKK is twice as crowded as london...and they all want to drive their own car plus live in a tiny room..

Everything is getting expensive in BKK because of all that loss of time in traffic.

31 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Sqn Leader Boonruang Triruang-worawat is a doctor. Whether she is actually a psychiatrist, I do not know, but given her status and position, it would be rather surprising if she were not.

Sqn Leader Boonruang Triruangworawat does not look much like a woman as you suggest, unless she is an aging Tom. On that basis I take the rest of your opinion with a grain of salt.

Sqn Leader Boonruang Triruang-worawat.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

I think BKK is twice as crowded as london...and they all want to drive their own car plus live in a tiny room..

Most people live in tiny, overcrowded accommodation in London.

I drove my own car in Central London back in the day. Wouldn't do it now because of congestion charges (made a big difference to the amount of traffic in London), lack of parking and an excellent, but at times horrendously overcrowded, underground network.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Sqn Leader Boonruang Triruangworawat does not look much like a woman as you suggest, unless she is an aging Tom.

Rather sexist. Could be transgender. There's a lot of it about in Thailand.

Ask a silly question and you get a silly answer.

Happiness is, by its very nature, fleeting and ephemeral - the sunshine which lights up our mundane lives intermittently, leaving behind a longing for more. Hence the US Constition's reference to the right of its citizens to "the pursuit of happiness". 

Those founding fathers, unlike some mental health researchers, were as worldly as they were wise. 

Substitute the word "contentment" for happiness and maybe you have the makings of a meaningful survey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

Sqn Leader Boonruang Triruangworawat does not look much like a woman as you suggest, unless she is an aging Tom. On that basis I take the rest of your opinion with a grain of salt.

Sqn Leader Boonruang Triruang-worawat.jpeg

An article that I read this morning in the 'National News Bureau of Thailand specifically refer to her as a doctor. She is also quoted, at length, speaking, with apparent authority, on mental health issues.

My wife also recognized the above photo and when I mentioned the apparent gender discrepancy, she simply, and typically for a Thai, said, maybe she's 50-50.

So personally, I'd rather go with the evidence that I can readily access, than your, rather myopic view of what a doctor should look like.

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

aving an Air Force Squadron Leader as the man in charge of the Cuckoos Nest Department seems a most unusual appointment. The precedent has been set that Thai military personnel are the best qualified for any job.

The Department of Mental Health belongs to the Ministry of Public Health.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_Public_Health_(Thailand)

Thai government civil service uses quasi-military ranks for civil service workers as does the Royal Thai Police. Thai civil service is not organizationally in the chain-of-command of the Royal Thai Military even though it uses many of the same rank designations.  

4 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The Department of Mental Health belongs to the Ministry of Public Health.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_Public_Health_(Thailand)

Thai government civil service uses quasi-military ranks for civil service workers as does the Royal Thai Police. Thai civil service is not organizationally in the chain-of-command of the Royal Thai Military even though it uses many of the same rank designations.  

Yep, even the car park attendants love their gold braid.

I would be stressed and bloody depressed living in that hot,sweaty,stinking overcrowded shithole.when ever I've had to stay there I've just stayed in a quality hotel that are very reasonably cheap and not ventured out for more than a hour.not my cup of tea thanks.oh and the highlight of my any trips was having a ride on the skytrain which I was lucky and had not many on board.

Edited by happy chappie

18 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

An article that I read this morning in the 'National News Bureau of Thailand specifically refer to her as a doctor. She is also quoted, at length, speaking, with apparent authority, on mental health issues.

My wife also recognized the above photo and when I mentioned the apparent gender discrepancy, she simply, and typically for a Thai, said, maybe she's 50-50.

So personally, I'd rather go with the evidence that I can readily access, than your, rather myopic view of what a doctor should look like.

You may choose to be selective and misquote my comments if you choose. 

I did NOT have any view what a doctor should look like. But I had a view of what a woman should look like. 

Squadron Leader Boonruang Triruangworawat does not look at all like a woman as you suggest. But perhaps you find her attractive? Case closed.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

You may choose to be selective and misquote my comments if you choose. 

I did NOT have any view what a doctor should look like. But I had a view of what a woman should look like. 

Squadron Leader Boonruang Triruangworawat does not look at all like a woman as you suggest. But perhaps you find her attractive? Case closed.

If she puts a bit of slap on, maybe I could do something for her after a few pints......say 10?

Edited by Spidey

On 9/28/2018 at 1:23 PM, happy chappie said:

I would be stressed and bloody depressed living in that hot,sweaty,stinking overcrowded shithole

Yes and no. I live here and love the place, but I don't have to deal with issues such as commuting through gridlocked traffic, living far away from public transport etc. Without those stresses, the place is alive, vibrant and comfortable, a great place to live for anyone who enjoys big cities, but I've no doubt that the report in the OP is accurate. I feel sympathy for those who's only reason for coming into the city is to work, and who struggle with a long daily commute, long queues for vans back to the suburbs etc, it seems like a very hard slog. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Yes and no. I live here and love the place, but I don't have to deal with issues such as commuting through gridlocked traffic, living far away from public transport etc. Without those stresses, the place is alive, vibrant and comfortable, a great place to live for anyone who enjoys big cities, but I've no doubt that the report in the OP is accurate. I feel sympathy for those who's only reason for coming into the city is to work, and who struggle with a long daily commute, long queues for vans back to the suburbs etc, it seems like a very hard slog. 

Agreed. I lived in BKK for 7 yrs. Still love the place for a weekend but could never live there again. The day to day of traffic, pollution and general chaos wore me down. I can only imagine it is worse for a majority of Thais whose salaries can barely keep pace with the cost of living in a sprawling metropolis that is forcing more and more to live further from their workplaces.  But as another poster indicated, stress is a factor in all major world cities. 

As you say, still one of the most vibrant and interesting cities on the planet (warts and all).