Perilous roads

rooster59

Perilous roads

By Kanjana Laoharatchatathanin 
The Nation

82f1f9e48f1df85efc1aa82cff0cb993.jpeg

Road crashes are a major cause of death in every country – 24,000 deaths a year and 66 a day in Thailand, where 73% of the fatalities claim motorcyclists.

KEY FACTS

– 1.25 million traffic deaths occur every year globally, 3,400 a day

– 20 million-50 million people suffer non-fatal injuries in accidents, often resulting in permanent disability

– 3 of 4 road fatalities are men

– Traffic crashes cost countries on average 3% of their gross domestic product

– Road injuries are the main cause of death among people aged 15-29 years

– People ages 15 to 44 account for 48% of traffic deaths globally

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30355450

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-29

6 minutes ago, missoura said:

But some Thai women are trying their best to catch up...

wrong way mc.JPG

Can't see any danger here. She's not doing 110, more likely 10 and going right at the next soi. Note that the cars on the left are parked, ample of space.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 5

38 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Can't see any danger here. She's not doing 110, more likely 10 and going right at the next soi. Note that the cars on the left are parked, ample of space.

To hang the helmet on the steer like she did is very dangerous...and why her young girl at the back has to sit with 2 legs at one side? 

But what i really don't understand is why there are no tropical motorhelmets with very good ventilation? And black helmets should be banned, far to hot for thailand plus you can't see them after dark.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Some know-it-all farangs do manage to address the heat issue by purchasing a bicycle riders slatted head protector, usually placed on top of some other form of headgear such as a baseball cap, dishdash, etc.. My friend who volunteers with Sawang Boriboon hates them as they tend to act like a sieve for the brain matter when they have to scoop up an unfortunate. The full 'brain bucket' helmet makes for much easier and faster cleanup on aisle 3.

I 've seen plenty know-it-all farangs but never with anything else than a normal helmet or just none..

Myself i just bought a new  helmet with good airflow (i still haven't tested it) but even without openings it should be possible to make airchannels in the paddingmaterial.

Also i wonder how safe a 500 baht thai helmet is after hanging on mirrors in full sunshine for several years. It guess the plastic has become very crispy from that. Well they also sell 200 baht helmets, go figure...

• Like 2

The saying for pilots also applies for Thai drivers/riders.  "There are old riders and there are

bold riders, but there are no old bold riders." Be alert and ride defensively, your life depends on it.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Is this based on the science laughably flawed consideration that allowing Superbike and Moto GP professional riders to run in circles in Buriram twice a year will somehow increase the traffic fatalities in Thailand?

Better stop screening the FI races then, eh?

As a UK MSA fully qualified Senior Stage official for Motor Rallys, I can inform you, it is a fact that after any Motor event, in the vicinity of the event there are a sharp rise in accidents and deaths.

This has been attributed to the fact the certain spectators wish to emulate their heroes that they have just witnessed performing some crazy things with a motor vehicle, and proceed to try doing the same on public roads with the obvious end result.

As for the Lady on the Motorbike

Accident waiting to happen

Somebody just pulls out of a side street without looking tom the left and there you have it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Are they parked or is she driving on the wrong side of the road?????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, missoura said:

But some Thai women are trying their best to catch up...

wrong way mc.JPG

Happens many thousand times a day unfortunately. Photo doesn't look particularly out of place, I guarantee if I took a trip into town now it wouldn't take long to see a similar situation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

She's on the wrong side of the road. Most likely, she just turned right from a side street, and will continue on the wrong side until space allows her to cross over onto the correct side of the road. Meanwhile she is exposing herself and her kids to all oncoming traffic which could be travelling towards her at any speed, this traffic then has to pull into the road to avoid her, and by doing so exposes itself to traffic on the other side of the road. But as you say  'no danger'. Hilarious.

And she's not looking where she's going!  At first I thought she was looking at her phone but she's got both hands on the handlebars.

7 hours ago, Dave67 said:

The lack of transport infrastructure is why many Thais have to put their kids on bike with them, no choice if the cannot afford a car. 

A lot of them have cars but prefer to use the motorbike because it's faster/easier.
Even if they don't have a car, they could at least buy helmets for the kids and make an attempt at following traffic laws.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And people in other countries do what? I've never seen this anywhere else, and I've been to a few so-called developing countries.

We are talking about Thailand mate. For a fact their is not adequate transport infrastructure to cater for the people who live here in my Tambon. 

Edited by Dave67

14 hours ago, Lt Frank Bullitt said:

I think you will find there is 2 kids behind her, unless 1 kid is wearing different shoes

I think you are correct which means 4 on a bike built for 2, 1 helmet for 4 people, going the wrong way on Soi probably no licence or registration Yep definitely doing her bit for the team No 1 in deaths on road team that is 

• Like 2