Video shares stark ‘Drink Drive Death’ warning

Jonathan Fairfield

Video shares stark ‘Drink Drive Death’ warning

f88487fc3a161af6011a35b7f04ce0fe.jpeg

A new YouTube video campaigning against drink-driving during the Christmas and New Year period highlights the fact that Thailand has the highest rate of road-accident fatalities in the world outside of a war zone.

Prominent businessman Sermsin Samalapa on Wednesday uploaded the 55-second “Drink Drive Death” clip, of which he was executive producer, with the intention of raising awareness among the public about the danger of driving while drunk.

Sermsin cited statistics from the World Health Organisation (WHO), Probation Department, and Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, which indicate that drink-driving is the main cause of road accidents during the New Year holidays.

“The film presents the fear that drink-driving can tragically turn the festive New Year holiday into a sad tragedy from road accidents. English is used in this multimedia to ensure that the message reaches beyond Thailand, as drink driving is a worldwide problem,” he said.

In order to highlight the severity of the problems on road safety, he referenced WHO statistics on road accidents, which reveal that the rate of road fatalities among the Thai people was as high as 36.2 persons per 100,000 population.

This means Thailand has the highest road fatality rate in Asia and ranks second on the global level following only Libya.

Given that Libya is suffering a civil war, which has contributed to many road deaths, the World Atlas website notes that Thailand should be regarded as having the highest rate.

Sermsin pointed out that, according to Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department data, the number of injuries and deaths during the New Year period has increased over the past five years.

The most prominent cause, accounting for 36.59 per cent of accidents during the last New Year period, was drunk drivers.

He noted that Probation Department statistics showed that there were 4,342 drink-driving cases over the past New Year, which was 871 more cases – or 29.5 per cent higher – than the previous period.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30334396

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-29

Given that the majority of deaths are suffered by, and in many cases caused by, motorcyclists, the real message should be directed at them.

Some partially edited scenes of real crashes and their aftermath including scarred and crippled victims might be needed to emphasize that helmets and proper protective clothing are necessary and that motorcyclists are the most vulnerable vehicle users and not just on highways.

The last one I saw was in the middle of Chiang Mai involving a lady left crushed to death under her bike, with her morning jok meal still hanging from the handlebars.

Advice for car and truck drivers in the same campaign about the vulnerability of motorcyclists and pedestrians may help to reverse the Me First and biggest is best attitude prevalent here.

1 minute ago, Classic Ray said:

Given that the majority of deaths are suffered by, and in many cases caused by, motorcyclists, the real message should be directed at them.

Some partially edited scenes of real crashes and their aftermath including scarred and crippled victims might be needed to emphasize that helmets and proper protective clothing are necessary and that motorcyclists are the most vulnerable vehicle users and not just on highways.

The last one I saw was in the middle of Chiang Mai involving a lady left crushed to death under her bike, with her morning jok meal still hanging from the handlebars.

Advice for car and truck drivers in the same campaign about the vulnerability of motorcyclists and pedestrians may help to reverse the Me First and biggest is best attitude prevalent here.

Everything you say is true. Yet I feel like when I'm driving a motorbike I'm not worried about the other motorbikes. It's the reckless car/truck/minivan drivers that scare me.... 

When I drive my car I'm more worried about hitting idiot motorbike drivers... 

I think the blame is on everyone... Almost nobody respects the road rules.. but it's the 5-10% that are doing the extremely reckless and dangerous high speed manoeuvers that are the problem... And it's spread among all vehicle types... But ofcourse, death rate is higher for motorbikes because they have no protection.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

What makes you say that this wasn't aimed at motorcyclists, didn't you see the motorbike or the rider in the video, then?

1 hour ago, hobz said:

Let's make a video... Seems like the leaders of this country are around 13-14 years old in terms of maturity... How about some law enforcement and increased fines/penalties? Oh wait, that would actually mean doing something about the corrupt and useless police force... Too much work...

Yes and cherry picking what is really the cause of the accident will be cheaper for the government..

The cause is actually not drunk driving, but non policing of the roads, and that allows people to drink and drive with impunity.

Police the roads and the road toll will come down.

Effective driver education would help too.

Teach the Thai drivers to turn right without cutting across the road.

Not to overtake unbroken yellow lines.

Not to turn left until its safe to do so.

The list is endless.

So the easiest and cheapest solution for the government to reduce the disgusting road toll, is to just copy a video, that will have very little effect.

They know best, with blinkers on.

Very sad.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aussie11950 said:

Yes and cherry picking what is really the cause of the accident will be cheaper for the government..

The cause is actually not drunk driving, but non policing of the roads, and that allows people to drink and drive with impunity.

The list is endless.

So the easiest and cheapest solution for the government to reduce the disgusting road toll, is to just copy a video, that will have very little effect.

Very sad.

While I agree with all the points you make regarding road safety and driving, from what I can see, the video is nothing to do with the government, it seems to have been privately produced (well uploaded to youtube anyway), nine months ago.

Edited by bluesofa
addendum

10 minutes ago, 1337markus said:

Who is the target audience? Thai so why sing the lyrics in English? Next campaign this one has sunk already.

It does seem to be Thais, as looking at the info on the youtube video, (Published on 19 Dec 2017) Sermsin Samalapa, the producer says (in Thai, as well as English):
"With everyone’s contribution to the anti drunk driving campaign this New Year holiday, the number of road accidents were lowered by 203, followed by 201 less injuries, and 69 less casualties."

Perhaps it's because most Thais recognise the Jingle Bells (or Jinger Ben) music and associate it with Christmas - or more importantly - the new year?

No idea to why the lyrics are in English though.

54 minutes ago, aussie11950 said:

The list is endless.

Very sad.

Agreed. 

Can we go even deeper and blame corruption?

The cops are corrupt and lazy.

The politicians are corrupt and lazy. Putting their inbred family members on positions to take action but instead they copy videos...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

It does seem to be Thais, as looking at the info on the youtube video, (Published on 19 Dec 2017) Sermsin Samalapa, the producer says (in Thai, as well as English):

"With everyone’s contribution to the anti drunk driving campaign this New Year holiday, the number of road accidents were lowered by 203, followed by 201 less injuries, and 69 less casualties."

Perhaps it's because most Thais recognise the Jingle Bells (or Jinger Ben) music and associate it with Christmas - or more importantly - the new year?

No idea to why the lyrics are in English though.

Good question about why it's in English.. probably the ppl making these decisions are so inbred into their small Elite circles where it's been popular to throw in a few English words here and there. They have no clue or care for normal Thai ppl. 

Could also be intended as a face saving signal to the outside world.. "look we are doing something! Aren't we clever??"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hobz said:

Agreed. 

Can we go even deeper and blame corruption?

The cops are corrupt and lazy.

The politicians are corrupt and lazy. Putting their inbred family members on positions to take action but instead they copy videos...

Agreed about politicians being corrupt.

However, what's the link with "family members and copying videos"? Have I missed something - do you have some more info about this?

The news article mentions the video producer, but I didn't see any mention of any connection to any government department?

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Agreed about politicians being corrupt.

However, what's the link with "family members and copying videos"? Have I missed something - do you have some more info about this?

The news article mentions the video producer, but I didn't see any mention of any connection to any government department?

Well, i have no idea about this video in particular. 

I thought it was produced by the government. I mean, the government hired the producer and told him to do.

What has family to do with it? The ppl in power, they put family and friends in positions they have no business being in. And they keep coming up with these stupid ideas instead of doing the obvious thing which is increased penalties and enforcement..

• Like 1