Life In Issan - A Sleepy Fuzzy Tale

akirasan

Living in the village past 3 years is great, with the exception of everyone creating smoke of some kind during the day, i.e. from firing up their charcoals to cook, (ok everyone has to eat) and I appreciate gas bottles are expensive for some of the poorer people (so I bite my tongue and accept the fact), but the burning of either rubbish or stuff on their land including rubber pee's me off badly.

Fortunately the mayor listened to our and other neighbours complaints about his cousin making charcoal across the road at the foot of the river which was literally choking us all, toxic stuff to say the least and told him to move, ah what I would do for fresh air at times, fortunately have managed to time the neighbours down to a tee and run around closing up doors and windows to combat any smoke entering the house, unless the old girl next to us decides she is going to burn a pile of crap including rubber without any warning and takes us by surprise.

To think the burning season is only around the corner, God help us.....

• Like 1

I love it when people bring their own food to the local restaurants and get the staff to plate it and serve back to them.

I like how the food vending vans park outside the restaurants and people come out and buy 'take away' food and bring it back into the restaurant to eat.

I like being able to get a feed by walking out among the trees just outside the house, or throwing a fishing line into the dam. It's not so funny when a lizard (or worse) has crawled into your clothes and you don't notice until too late. 

• Like 1

Ah,  isaan life! There is a sense of community, when our house was struck by lightning, neighbours were already putting the fire out by the time i got outside. Mind you, these were the same neighbours who would steal our mangoes when they fell off the tree, you had to be quick when you heard the thud, or it would be gone!

Also remember the night we found some one hunting tokays in our garden. Things have changed a lot the last 8 years, no longer do we see families huddled around a smoky wood fire outdoors on a winters morning by the roadside (using wood 'borrowed' from our garden), they have either moved out or have warmer clothes now. Also the winter mornings are rarely as cold.

• Like 1

OK I had one of those temporary mini black ant infestations when they got into everything. I had just opened a bag of granola and put it in what I thought was an ant-proof container but no.

It was outside the door when the TGF came over and saw it. (Thai conversation loosely translated) She asked could she have it. I said said it's filled with ants.

She just stared at me and said: I'M THAI!

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:49 AM, Stevemercer said:

I love it when people bring their own food to the local restaurants and get the staff to plate it and serve back to them.

I like how the food vending vans park outside the restaurants and people come out and buy 'take away' food and bring it back into the restaurant to eat.

I like being able to get a feed by walking out among the trees just outside the house, or throwing a fishing line into the dam. It's not so funny when a lizard (or worse) has crawled into your clothes and you don't notice until too late. 

Your examples in paragraphs one and two are priceless. People who would do this are as clueless as clueless gets. But please note: such ridiculous behaviour is certainly not exclusive to Thailand.

• Like 1