UK driving licence renewal Thailand

MARK74

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I can only assume the 93% of the driving population are a. literate and b. read their licence and vehicle V5 properly and fully.

I doubt whether a large percentage of the 93% of the driving population are either a or b. Unless they get the paperwork from DVLC in 10 different languages.

Can anybody confirm categorically whether you can get a Certificate of Residence (for the purposes of obtaining a driving licence) on a 30 day exemption stamp upon arrival. The immigration office is Chiang Mai. I have not had time to go and get a a visa from the local consulate. 

Reading through the the relevant forums their seems to be mixed experiences on the issue/subject. 

Thanks in advance. 

wow, this has ran on a bit. thanks everyone.

going back to post #6 i think i have my answers.

it looks like i have no need for a UK licence so i won't bother to get it.

i just asked about that in case there might have been a problem to use my thai licence.

sorry if i didn't make that clear.

i'll use the thai licence and book a car in advance.

thanks all ????

Just now, MARK74 said:

i just asked about that in case there might have been a problem to use my thai licence.

thanks all ????

Ah post 6. Not surprised. The Brit who knows what hes about here.

16 hours ago, Moonlover said:

In other words, you're guessing aren't you! It sounds to me as if you know nothing about UK driving licence rules.

Sorry mr knowitall, no guessing if you think I can have a UK DL in Thailand in my situation it's sounds to me your the one who knows nothing about UK driving licence rules.

I read about the situation regarding my UK DL and living in Thailand with a Thai address on the DVLA web site years ago and my UK DL is invalid.

I have no UK address even my UK bank uses my Thai home address.

3 hours ago, LOS14 said:

Can anybody confirm categorically whether you can get a Certificate of Residence (for the purposes of obtaining a driving licence) on a 30 day exemption stamp upon arrival. The immigration office is Chiang Mai. I have not had time to go and get a a visa from the local consulate. 

Reading through the the relevant forums their seems to be mixed experiences on the issue/subject. 

Thanks in advance. 

You can. If you have residence details.

Valid for 30 days. 

An airport visa waiver is only 30 days, plus possible extension.

Someone might ask why? 

Same getting a licence or bank account on a TR .

Sometimes they ask why.

But you can do all.

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Sorry mr knowitall, no guessing if you think I can have a UK DL in Thailand in my situation it's sounds to me your the one who knows nothing about UK driving licence rules.

I read about the situation regarding my UK DL and living in Thailand with a Thai address on the DVLA web site years ago and my UK DL is invalid.

I have no UK address even my UK bank uses my Thai home address.

I invite to provide clear unequivocal proof that a UK licence becomes invalid when its holder moves abroad. (providing that that person is a UK citizen with the right of abode)

We've been through all this before at least two times since I joined this forum and no one have ever succeeded in that quest.

1 hour ago, MARK74 said:

thanks all ????

...as long as it's a full Thai licence, ie not the first one you got.

20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I invite to provide clear unequivocal proof that a UK licence becomes invalid when its holder moves abroad. (providing that that person is a UK citizen with the right of abode)

We've been through all this before at least two times since I joined this forum and no one have ever succeeded in that quest.

Look on the DVLA web site yourself do your own search.

IMHO, just from research I did a few years ago while living in another S.E.A. country. 

The UK driving licence does not become invalid if you live abroad, providing you have a permanent residential UK address.

It cannot be renewed with an address that is not in the UK, the system does not accept foreign abodes. 

So, if you have an address in the UK different from that which is on your licence then it's a simple address change and renewal.

If you have no UK address and only a foreign abode then the system will not accept it. 

From the DVLA website:

If you’re moving abroad

You can’t register your new address on your British driving licence.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Look on the DVLA web site yourself do your own search.

Actually I and many of us have pawed all over the DVLA web site. And this the one topic that it does not make clear.

It is clear regarding foreign nationals who leave the UK. They are definitely required to surrender their licence. But UK citizens are told to obtain a new licence in their country of residence. They are not called upon to surrender their UK one.

Now obviously, if you have left the UK permanently and do not have an address there. you cannot use your UK licence when you visit the country. That clearly would be an offence because of the address. The grey area in the web site is regarding those who do keep a UK address and visit there regularly. It just doesn't cover it.

I do remember advise given to BAE employees in Saudi Arabia on this matter. It went 'If you do not have a home address in the UK, always use your Saudi licence when visiting there'. Which I always did.

I do not believe that your UK licence becomes invalid when you go to live abroad. As best I can judge, it is only invalid for use in the UK and were the holder to return to the UK, he could, once he's updated the address, carry on as before. However, once it has expired, it would be an act of fraud were you to attempt to renew it without a clearly defined UK residential address.

I will apologize to Kwasaki. I think we're actually splitting hairs here and I was a little harsh.

6 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

...as long as it's a full Thai licence, ie not the first one you got.

it's a full license. first temp one was at least 15 years ago

i won't get another UK one even if somehow i can, i can't think of any use for it

save 14 pounds too haha

Your renting a car so won’t matter. In California when you get insurance they ask if you have children. I never thought much

of it but when my kids became drivers age even though not driving. 

My insurance went up due to the risk they might try to drive the car.

21 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Actually I and many of us have pawed all over the DVLA web site. And this the one topic that it does not make clear.

As i said I was leaving England and retiring in Thailand.

Info I remember some 14 years ago came from Gov.UK web site pages.

This just a bit from many as of today:-

Check local traffic regulations Driving is permitted on a valid UK licence in EEA countries. You will need to be fully insured. You may be required to exchange your UK licence for an EEA national licence once you have gained resident status. Licences are valid for five years for 45 to 70 year-olds and two years thereafter. For other countries you will also need to take an International Driving Permit (IDP), which must be obtained before you leave the UK. Your local British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate cannot help you export or import your car or personal belongings.

17 hours ago, MARK74 said:

it's a full license. first temp one was at least 15 years ago

i won't get another UK one even if somehow i can, i can't think of any use for it

save 14 pounds too haha

Yes, I only found out last year that a first Thai licence is only a provisional one, so technically no good for say car hire in the UK.

So I used the GG in the UK. Additionally, I didn't know that my UK licence was invalid because the photo-card part of it is only valid for 10 years.

The simple way is to get an International driving permit, around 500 baht. I have just returned from the UK and used the above permit. I have a UK license but the problem with using it is that if you are involved in an accident the insurance company may not pay out because your UK license would be void. Same thing applies if you renew your license by using a friend or family address as the license would be illegal under UK law. Rental companies like to see a foreign license with name and address in English which the Thai license does not have. The International driving permit is tied to your passport so they can find you if there are any problems such as claims etc.

1 hour ago, Poppin said:

The simple way is to get an International driving permit, around 500 baht.

The simple way is to get a Thai DL.

IDP with UK DL if only holiday if riding/driving OK especially in places like Pattaya where they make there own laws up. 

Insurance companies some may not pay most do, I know of none that won't pay.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:52 AM, catman20 said:

so if i cannot renew here is there a way to apply online but using a relatives address in the UK and ask them to post to me here or would the dvla need proof i lived there?

yes thats how i renewed mine.

Giving an address that is not yours is illegal and that illegal address that you give will be the one shown on the licence.  But that will only be a problem if you are stopped by the police while you're there. 

12 hours ago, Poppin said:

The International driving permit is tied to your passport so they can find you if there are any problems such as claims etc.

Ive had several IDPs and none have reference to my passport. 

My last issued in Australia against my Australia licence. 

It doesn't even reference to the Australian licence. 

Just the address I use in Australia. 

Which is also interesting because my UK licence is my brothers address in the UK. 

Where I stay when not in Thailand. 

I understood that the permit was to be carried along with the licence from the issuing country?

Plus a Thai translation is handy.

Because it's not printed in Thai.

I could be wrong on that.

19 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Giving an address that is not yours is illegal and that illegal address that you give will be the one shown on the licence.  But that will only be a problem if you are stopped by the police while you're there. 

If go back Uk and stay at the address on your UK DL don't see how that would be illegal if you do have a valid DL from another country.

8 hours ago, dallen52 said:

I understood that the permit was to be carried along with the licence from the issuing country?

Plus a Thai translation is handy.

Because it's not printed in Thai.

Is that the Thai IDP you refer to.?

I was understanding that a IDP from UK was in English and other languages but did not have Thai on it. 

A UK photocard DL has all information on what your entitled to drive in English. So allowed in Thailand under conditions

The separate photocard Thai DL's have Thai & English so can be used in many countries without an IDP.

A Oz DL & IDP is needed to get a Thai DL as I understand it because they issue DL's in different Oz states.

If go back Uk and stay at the address on your UK DL don't see how that would be illegal if you do have a valid DL from another country.

It's providing an address that is not your registered address in the UK that is illegal.  Call them and ask them if it's ok for you as non-resident to renew your UK driving licence and use an address that you don't live at permanently for it to be delivered to.

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

It's providing an address that is not your registered address in the UK that is illegal.  Call them and ask them if it's ok for you as non-resident to renew your UK driving licence and use an address that you don't live at permanently for it to be delivered to.

Do you work for the UK Gov...?

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I see and understand where your at and it would apply to me as my home address is in Thailand.

I would of thought if you are in and out the UK and when returning to family or friends address that's on your DL it could be classed as your UK permanent address and not be classed as non resident.

Archived