UK driving licence renewal Thailand

MARK74

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

If go back Uk and stay at the address on your UK DL don't see how that would be illegal if you do have a valid DL from another country.

I do it.

My brothers address.

I even applied for the UK plastic card licence because the paper one had vanished. 

It was issued.

All my previous classes were included. 

Even my motorbike. 

And trucks and passenger vehicles up to certain weights. 

I've used the UK licence as id for several UK government departments. 

And not an issue.

And I know they cross data match everything. 

DWP also accept the address for correspondence. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I see and understand where your at and it would apply to me as my home address is in Thailand.

I would of thought if you are in and out the UK and when returning to family or friends address that's on your DL it could be classed as your UK permanent address and not be classed as non resident.

To have a UK driving licence legally renewed you have to be a resident of the UK.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, Poppin said:

The simple way is to get an International driving permit, around 500 baht. I have just returned from the UK and used the above permit. I have a UK license but the problem with using it is that if you are involved in an accident the insurance company may not pay out because your UK license would be void. Same thing applies if you renew your license by using a friend or family address as the license would be illegal under UK law. Rental companies like to see a foreign license with name and address in English which the Thai license does not have. The International driving permit is tied to your passport so they can find you if there are any problems such as claims etc.

"Rental companies like to see a foreign license with name and address in English which the Thai license does not have".

Nonsense, on a Thai driving licence all details including, the name and address are in English!

UK IDPs are not "tied to passports", either.  You may have to use a PP if you have no other ID when applying for it, but PP numbers are not shown on UK IDPs.

9 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

To have a UK driving licence legally renewed you have to be a resident of the UK.

Interesting

"Whether you're UK resident usually depends on how many days you spend in the UK in the tax year (6 April to 5 April the following year). You're automatically resident if either: you spent 183 or more days in the UK in the tax year."

Yeah it's get complicated because I used to work out of the UK EU area for 8 or 9 months at a time but had my own home in UK and was paid in UK while in another country..

So technically I was a non-resident for aprox 2 or 3 month crazy err. 

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Interesting

"Whether you're UK resident usually depends on how many days you spend in the UK in the tax year (6 April to 5 April the following year). You're automatically resident if either: you spent 183 or more days in the UK in the tax year."

Yeah it's get complicated because I used to work out of the UK EU area for 8 or 9 months at a time but had my own home in UK and was paid in UK while in another country..

So technically I was a non-resident for aprox 2 or 3 month crazy err. 

I don't reckon that it is complicated, you just have to ask the DVLA and they will explain the requirements.   Maybe it's only complicated for those trying to pull a fast one!

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I don't reckon that it is complicated, you just have to ask the DVLA and they will explain the requirements.   Maybe it's only complicated for those trying to pull a fast one!

Wow, a perfect member....????

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Wow, a perfect member....????

Glad that you sarcastically approve but I didn't say that I complied, did I?   And if I did, would you have an issue with that?  If not what's your point?

By the way, I was addressing the question raised by the OP, in case you didn't notice.

11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Glad that you sarcastically approve but I didn't say that I complied, did I?   And if I did, would you have an issue with that?  If not what's your point?

By the way, I was addressing the question raised by the OP, in case you didn't notice.

I think we all know how to be "perfect" like yourself...????

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"Rental companies like to see a foreign license with name and address in English which the Thai license does not have".

Nonsense, on a Thai driving licence all details including, the name and address are in English!

UK IDPs are not "tied to passports", either.  You may have to use a PP if you have no other ID when applying for it, but PP numbers are not shown on UK IDPs.

I'm not sure who stated this ... Nonsense, on a Thai driving licence all details including, the name and address are in English!  ...but the address on my 5-year license only shows the house number (35/104) 'in english' the rest of the address is in squiggles ... you must be lucky ...or I'm unlucky ...

16 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I'm not sure who stated this ... Nonsense, on a Thai driving licence all details including, the name and address are in English!  ...but the address on my 5-year license only shows the house number (35/104) 'in english' the rest of the address is in squiggles ... you must be lucky ...or I'm unlucky ...

My name and house number are in English...The rest I cannot read...

19 hours ago, JAS21 said:

That was what I said and it is correct.  The address on my Thai licence is in Thai and English, it follows the word "Address" underneath the Thai version.  Nothing to do with luck.

Everything else is bi-lingual also.

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

That was what I said and it is correct.  The address on my Thai licence is in Thai and English, it follows the word "Address" underneath the Thai version.  Nothing to do with luck.

Everything else is bi-lingual also.

My license was issued by Nonthaburi and every part of the address is in Thai except for the house number and the Moo number ... just my bad luck I guess ????

1 minute ago, hemskasven01 said:

The only problem you can get is if you over aged. All over Europe you can get problem to rent a car if you are over 70, sometimes even 65.
Today are UK roles for licensing same in EU. But brexit can maybe change it?

Skickat från min Mi A1 via Tapatalk

No probs in the UK..

Archived