UK driving licence renewal Thailand

MARK74

43 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

If you drive on a UK licence within the UK and the address on that licence is not one that you can be normally contacted, you are committing an offence and the fine is pretty steep.

Yes, you can circumvent the ruling about being a resident if you so wish, but why take the risk, when you have a valid Thai licence anyway.

43 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I wonder how many UK residents think to change the name on their DLs every time the move house or flat......not many I guess.

Well, they would be pretty foolish not to especially it is free to do so. . The fine can be up to £1,000 Also, if the driver owns a vehicle, same applies to the V5 document. That's another grand.

DVLA discovered that around 7% of drivers had failed to comply when they did a survey.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Well, they would be pretty foolish not to especially it is free to do so. . The fine can be up to £1,000 Also, if the driver owns a vehicle, same applies to the V5 document. That's another grand.

DVLA discovered that around 7% of drivers had failed to comply when they did a survey.

I am surprised that 93% know about it or are bothered, and how to go about changing their address.

2 hours ago, Dogbarker said:

Hello, .. I have been looking for more detail on your comments  of going back for 6 months of the year.  That would mean my UK licence is invalidated as I spend less than 6months of the year there. Cannot find anywhere it is mentioned on any dvla website .. Help appreciated.

Sorry maybe I didn't explain very well.

The 6 months is just an example it could be 1 month 1 week in the main if you live in Thailand and it's your home address or a country outside Europe for more than 2 years your UK DL is invalid, some people keep it going having a UK address.

You are suppose to notify the the DVLA if your home address is not the one on your UK DL.

Once I got my Thai DL I cut my UK one up.

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I think it needs to be qualified that if you go home and have a home licence in your pocket (or hold one) and a Thai license in your pocket, you are by default driving on your home license. You dont really have the choice to nominate an overseas licence if you have a home license. Otherwise you can avoid fines, points loss systems etc. You can only drive on Thai license in home country if you dont have a valid home country license.

I have to disagree. I was in the UK in July/August this year and had a hire car from Europecar. I offered both my Thai and UK licence as I had the necessary papers for the UK licence. Answer given was, 'Whichever you wish, we can accept either'. I chose to use the Thai. I might add. I was asked for my Thai address and phone number, written in English.

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I think it needs to be qualified that if you go home and have a home licence in your pocket (or hold one) and a Thai license in your pocket, you are by default driving on your home license. You dont really have the choice to nominate an overseas licence if you have a home license. Otherwise you can avoid fines, points loss systems etc. You can only drive on Thai license in home country if you dont have a valid home country license.

So, let's get this straight shall we?

If I drive on a UK licence which has an invalid address, I'm committing an offence right?

If I drive on my Thai licence, whilst holding a UK licence (on me or not) I'm committing an offence, right?

So, which offence do you suggest I commit?

3 hours ago, Dogbarker said:

Hello, .. I have been looking for more detail on your comments  of going back for 6 months of the year.  That would mean my UK licence is invalidated as I spend less than 6months of the year there. Cannot find anywhere it is mentioned on any dvla website .. Help appreciated.

Your UK driving licence is valid from the date of issue to date of expiry. whether you live in the UK for one day, one month or one year. You cannot apply for or renew said licence from outside the UK, you have to be resident. it is quite legal to have renewed and then to leave the country. the licence will still be valid. Otherwise, how is it that other countries accept your UK licence?

4 hours ago, catman20 said:

so if i cannot renew here is there a way to apply online but using a relatives address in the UK and ask them to post to me here or would the dvla need proof i lived there?

yes thats how i renewed mine.

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Where did you get this from? As far as I'm aware, the only time a UK licence becomes void (other than through disqualification) is when the holder is a none UK citizen who leaves the country per

manently. 

I have explain on post No.33.

I read on the DVLA site as I remember it mentioning out of the country for more than 2 years without a UK home address.

9 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Your UK driving licence is valid from the date of issue to date of expiry. whether you live in the UK for one day, one month or one year. You cannot apply for or renew said licence from outside the UK, you have to be resident. it is quite legal to have renewed and then to leave the country. the licence will still be valid. Otherwise, how is it that other countries accept your UK licence?

I read somewhere that if one flouts the written words regarding renewing a UK license one may incur a 1000 quid fine..

24 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Depends on whether you need or want your UK DL.

The DVLA site covers most of the questions but mis-understanding is easy to do and laws apply.

I got my old paper UK DL changed to the photocard UK DL using my daughters UK address by filling in forms here and sending them to her to send to DVLA. When she got the UK DL with her address on it she sent DL to me here at my Thai home address.

When I found I could use my Thai DL I cut and trashed the Uk DL. 

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

Don't forget you may need to provide a passport sized photo for the new licence. maybe a utility bill as well. Depending on how long ago you last renewed.

You can do it online, but could also ask a friend or relative to get you two application forms from the post office (one extra in case you make any errors), and post them to you here. That way, you could complete the form, add the signed photo and return it to said friend to repost to DVLA.

DVLA and the Passport agency seem to be linked in some way. 18 months ago I moved

House for the 1st time in over 20 years. I only had a paper licence at the time so applied 

for an up to date version.

I did so online and no photos were required as they used the same photo on my passport 

records, the detareils of which I provided during the application.

I understand this is if no use to the OPs conundrum, but I do like to join in sometimes!

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Depends on whether you need or want your UK DL.

The DVLA site covers most of the questions but mis-understanding is easy to do and laws apply.

I got my old paper UK DL changed to the photocard UK DL using my daughters UK address by filling in forms here and sending them to her to send to DVLA. When she got the UK DL with her address on it she sent DL to me here at my Thai home address.

When I found I could use my Thai DL I cut and trashed the Uk DL. 

Not wishing to nit pick, but what you did was technically wrong. If I understand correctly you were not resident in the UK at the time. I feel sure there will be no repercussions, unless of course some one wants to do the dirty.

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

I have to disagree. I was in the UK in July/August this year and had a hire car from Europecar. I offered both my Thai and UK licence as I had the necessary papers for the UK licence. Answer given was, 'Whichever you wish, we can accept either'. I chose to use the Thai. I might add. I was asked for my Thai address and phone number, written in English.

Thats a rental company decision (they dont know your citezenship), legally you are considered to be driving on the UK license, especially if a serious accident, death, drink driving etc. 

You cant get done for something like drink driving etc (something that may result in loss of UK license) with a UK license in your pocket, and elect to be driving on another license. Otherwise everyone would simply get a license when on holidays and never have to use (or loose) their UK license.

Its like being in Thailand with a Thai license, then saying today I choose to be driving on my UK license.

4 hours ago, Dogbarker said:

Ditto..

I visit the UK on and off.

Sometimes twice a year recently. 

Certainly don't reside there.

I use my brothers address for my UK licence. 

And many other things.

The U.K. one has numerous other vehicle types on it too, plus trucks. 

I even transcribed my full bike licence to my Australia licence HC, from the UK one.

Methinks someone speaks with forked tongue. 

But will stand corrected. 

I think DVL has a site to check on?

1 hour ago, transam said:

I read somewhere that if one flouts the written words regarding renewing a UK license one may incur a 1000 quid fine..

So if this was so, I would probably have a similar issue with my Australia licence?

Because I'm away from oz. 

55 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

DVLA and the Passport agency seem to be linked in some way. 18 months ago I moved

House for the 1st time in over 20 years. I only had a paper licence at the time so applied 

for an up to date version.

I did so online and no photos were required as they used the same photo on my passport 

records, the detareils of which I provided during the application.

I understand this is if no use to the OPs conundrum, but I do like to join in sometimes!

No secret , indeed DVLA & IPS  Passport Services are linked .

50 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Not wishing to nit pick, but what you did was technically wrong. If I understand correctly you were not resident in the UK at the time. I feel sure there will be no repercussions, unless of course some one wants to do the dirty.

You are correct I knew what I was doing was wrong but so were some of my tax return forms when I lived UK. ????

3 hours ago, superal said:

Should have said that mine was a first renewal for 70 year old . As far as I can remember , upon completing the on line application and submitting it , the other paperwork then became apparent , much to my surprise , but I am sure that it was the applicant who had to sign the papers and return by post But not 100% sure .

Below is a statement from another forum which may endorse my views . ( can of worms comes to mind )

The law is that you cannot renew your UK driving license while non-UK-resident and it is unclear whether you can continue to drive using your current UK license until it expires once you have left the UK (in my view this is probably OK, but others take a different view).

If you do renew your UK license, it is necessary to sign a declaration that you are currently UK resident and to provide details of your actual current residential address (which DVLA will double check by running a credit check).

Following renewal of a UK driving license, the DVLA may notify HMRC that you are declaring UK residence for the current tax year. Therefore if you have declared UK non-residency to HMRC and are not currently paying UK tax, it is highly risky to renew your driving license because in the worst case scenario you may be deemed to have declared your liability for UK tax and/or face potential penalties for falsely declaring residential status.

All a bit confusing and not to be toyed with I say .

The tax aspect is a red herring. Even if non resident you are still liable for income tax (above the £11850 personal allowance) on uk generated income including pensions /rental income .

One aspect not mentioned here is that DVLA /PASSPORT office as banks etc,will likely check if you are on the electoral role. 

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Never heard of this "6 month rule" it requires you have a UK address. A "UK residence" and its there so you can be fined /summoned etc for traffic offenses. Valid UK address is all thats required is my understanding.

I did it last year, used my sister's address.

This is the gvt website where you can do it: http://www.gateway.gov.uk/

On 10/2/2018 at 5:10 PM, wgdanson said:

Yes you can use your Thai license in UK for car hire, probably easier cos you do not need to get your licence summary number from DVLC which shows any convictions. 

Get your new license on-line sent to a mate's address in UK, and get them to send it to you, or collect when you are in UK.

If you knowingly give the DVLC false information i.e. an address at which you don't live, you will be committing an offense.

You cannot renew a UK driving license unless you live in the UK. At some point government departments and their IT will start communicating.

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

The tax aspect is a red herring. Even if non resident you are still liable for income tax (above the £11850 personal allowance) on uk generated income including pensions /rental income .

One aspect not mentioned here is that DVLA /PASSPORT office as banks etc,will likely check if you are on the electoral role. 

You might find HMRC take a dim view of people claiming resident or non resident whenever it suits them. They might decide to start digging, and digging........................ is it worth that risk?

Most government forms include warnings about making false declarations.

With the greatest respect there's a lot of cobblers being posted here. It's all very well to say "Just use a mate's address, I did it, no problems" and all that, but the law is clear, it is an offence to provide a false address. Further, no insurer will cover you in the event you are found to have been lying about your address or residency. If you have an existing license and continue to use it, you are by default lying, the details on it are wrong.

If you live in Thailand, use your Thai license and forget about your British license. I can think of no advantage whatsoever to renewing your British license.

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

So, let's get this straight shall we?

If I drive on a UK licence which has an invalid address, I'm committing an offence right?

If I drive on my Thai licence, whilst holding a UK licence (on me or not) I'm committing an offence, right?

So, which offence do you suggest I commit?

They also seem to have forgotten that plenty of expats will choose to live in cities while abroad, where owning a car is pretty much unecessary as public transport is cheap and efficient (e.g. Bangkok and Pattaya, where close on half of all the British expats in Thailand live). These expats won't ever have bothered getting a Thai driving licence so what are they supposed to do when they return to stay out in the sticks in the UK for a month and there's no public transport if their UK licence has become invalid?

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Then you best hope they don't start digging and looking back, which they're entitled to do!

Your post makes me laugh too late for that and I was too clever as for the money earned it stays with the family not the tax man. 

42 minutes ago, Guderian said:

They also seem to have forgotten that plenty of expats will choose to live in cities while abroad, where owning a car is pretty much unecessary as public transport is cheap and efficient (e.g. Bangkok and Pattaya, where close on half of all the British expats in Thailand live). These expats won't ever have bothered getting a Thai driving licence so what are they supposed to do when they return to stay out in the sticks in the UK for a month and there's no public transport if their UK licence has become invalid?

The decision not to get a DL in Thailand is understandible if you don't want or don't need to drive. However, the consequences if that decision are obvious. If you need to drive, you can't, and you're lying about your residency on your UK license. . Simple as that. 

54 minutes ago, Guderian said:

In answering if can't be bothered can't be bothered tough. 

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

These expats won't ever have bothered getting a Thai driving licence so what are they supposed to do when they return to stay out in the sticks in the UK for a month and there's no public transport if their UK licence has become invalid?

Go get themselves a Thai driving licence! Is that too difficult for them?

I don't drive a car anymore. But I do have a car D/L here, just in case.

7 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I am surprised that 93% know about it or are bothered, and how to go about changing their address.

I can only assume the 93% of the driving population are a. literate and b. read their licence and vehicle V5 properly and fully.

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Sorry maybe I didn't explain very well.

The 6 months is just an example it could be 1 month 1 week in the main if you live in Thailand and it's your home address or a country outside Europe for more than 2 years your UK DL is invalid, some people keep it going having a UK address.

You are suppose to notify the the DVLA if your home address is not the one on your UK DL.

Once I got my Thai DL I cut my UK one up.

In other words, you're guessing aren't you! It sounds to me as if you know nothing about UK driving licence rules.

Archived