Different treatment in hospitals when a Thai visit a private hospital under job social security ?

jrjrjr

hello,

A Thai told me that private hospitals when visited for free under job social security do not give the same medicines, treatments.

Do you think that it can be true because when going to a private hospital for free (paid by your job insurance(, the hospital will be paid less than if a private customer visits ?

Or is it just that when you pay for your visit and medicines private hospitals overcharge and give more medicine than necessary (and smart Thai think that treatment is better because more medicines are given ???? )

What do you think ? or Know ?

When  go to my private hospital and my Dr says I need this in the past for BP which is now under control because of meds he always writes it down and I buy the meds outside much cheaper than if supplies via Hospital the key is to ask ????

27 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't understand why a Thai person would use a private hospital unless in Bkk or a busy place, Gov hospitals are much better in my experience in being seriously ill in Thailand. 

Sorry but you must be joking or perfectly know nothing.

A Thai person with a regular office job (as you might have never met) can visit the closest hospital to her home for free and doesn't need to go to a farmer public hospital where people are expedited and less well treated than my dog at the vet.

if the thai insurance reimbursement is less as in negotiated plans. the hospital may wisely choose to dispense generic medicines rather than name brands. the same thing but costs a lot less. i choose generics over name brands

If you're talking about Government Social Security Insurance (Bakan Sandkhom) then yes you are correct. If there are cheaper medications available they will be given them. The Thai government does a pretty good job of licensing medications (and making them themselves) so they are more affordable to lower income earners. 

But saying that, only certain participating private hospitals accept Government Social Security Insurance. Normally the low end private hospitals. 

For example Bangkok Hospital would not accept Government Insurance but KluayNumThai does. 

These low end hospitals are not much better than Government ones anyway though. ????

There are several "layers" of service for Thais, the cheapest is the 30baht scheme that only government Hospitals (or participating low end private hospitals) accept. This gives every single Thai person a chance for some sort of health care, albeit often very poor service. 

Next is government Social Security Insurance (normally costing 300~1000) a month dependent on  your salary. Again, this is restricted to Government and private participating hospitals. And again, service is quite poor. 

After that you have your regular insurances. 

Hospital choice is important but also Doctors are important. It's best to research. For example, the same Doctor Who works at Chuoalongkorn hospital as a surgeon also works at Bangkok Hospital! 

I went to both and was surprised to meet him at both! ????????????

But of course the price for Bangkok was 400,000 and Chula 140,000. 

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You gotta be kidding?  Not even close. 

hosp.jpg

hosp2.jpg

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

I have stayed in private rooms in a government hospital here, just the same as the photo you are showing in a private hospital. 

7 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

I have stayed in private rooms in a government hospital here, just the same as the photo you are showing in a private hospital. 

I stayed in a private room at a good gov hospital.  AC didn't work.  I got a major infection from the bed (took 3 months to heal treatment at private hospital) food awful nurses few and rough and didn't know how to operate equipment.  and nothing like the private hospital.  I stayed at a ward and private room when one became available.  Yes I do know exactly what I am talking about. 

59 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I stayed in a private room at a good gov hospital.  AC didn't work.  I got a major infection from the bed (took 3 months to heal treatment at private hospital) food awful nurses few and rough and didn't know how to operate equipment.  and nothing like the private hospital.  I stayed at a ward and private room when one became available.  Yes I do know exactly what I am talking about. 

Stop making up stories, few and rough nurses, that as you know is not true.

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Stop making up stories, few and rough nurses, that as you know is not true.

I'll pm you if you want the name of the hospital.  I was there for quite a while and had a couple of friends die there.  I don't think I should post the name.

2 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

At Queen Sirikit Hospital in Sattahip if you want a private room you need to have a friend or relative stay with you. Otherwise you need to stay in a ward where nursing staff can monitor you. 

That is the same at most Thai hospitals but they do have reasonable people you can hire to stay with you 24/7

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, jrjrjr said:

Ok medicines can be generic, but at the end it should be the same treatment ?

Many differences.  Government employees like teachers get a much higher level of care and available treatment options.  Somebody who knows all the specifics might want to comment.

25 minutes ago, jrjrjr said:

Ok medicines can be generic, but at the end it should be the same treatment ?

Regarding your comment treatment should be the same, here is a bit about my own experience.

I spent 7 months in a government hospital, starting with 1 month in intensive care, then different wards, then a private room.

I cannot comment about icu, as i was in a coma, then not fully aware of what was going on.

After being moved to a ward, my care was first class, plenty of nurses, most more than happy/willing to help.

My food was brought to my bedside, properly presented, in stainless steel dishes, all covered, with my name on, most other patients were given a tray (SIMILAR TO SCHOOL TRAYS) with their food, not covered, rice, plus 1 savoury dish.

On more than a few occasions, relatives of other patients asked my wife, why your husband get more, better food, is it because he farang?

Reason for my better food and other things was because my wife is a school director and the hospital was being paid by my wifes school health care.

9 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Regarding your comment treatment should be the same, here is a bit about my own experience.

I spent 7 months in a government hospital, starting with 1 month in intensive care, then different wards, then a private room.

I cannot comment about icu, as i was in a coma, then not fully aware of what was going on.

After being moved to a ward, my care was first class, plenty of nurses, most more than happy/willing to help.

My food was brought to my bedside, properly presented, in stainless steel dishes, all covered, with my name on, most other patients were given a tray (SIMILAR TO SCHOOL TRAYS) with their food, not covered, rice, plus 1 savoury dish.

On more than a few occasions, relatives of other patients asked my wife, why your husband get more, better food, is it because he farang?

Reason for my better food and other things was because my wife is a school director and the hospital was being paid by my wifes school health care.

Well you fell on your feet there Colin - pun intended!

There are 3 different schemes that make up universal access to health care for Thais:

Social Security for civil servants

Social Security for other employees

The "30 baht" AKA "universal" scheme for everyone not covered by one  of the above

The civil servant scheme is the most generous, it is also the only one that includes spouses and children

There is almost no difference in medical treatments covered across these 3 schemes and no difference in medical care provided. but there are differences in some of the amenities of hospitalization

Archived