Teacher with 15,000 baht salary asks: You tell me how I can live on that?

rooster59

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

That was my point.  The average teenager reads about things and applies the results of the reading.  That is called rote learning.  You learn what someone else has done.  Basic education is rote learning all over the world.  You have to learn the basics of math before you can become a theoretical physicist.  Not only do Thais not teach critical thinking in grade school no one teaches critical thinking in grade school.  When the rulers on Thailand were educated more than half the country was involved in agriculture.  It has an education system that fits an agriculture economy the same as the US or UK a couple of hundred years ago.  As it moves from agriculture to industrial the education system will also move and adapt. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on what constitutes rote learning. To me, it's regurgitating what a teacher puts up on a blackboard. Or specifies in a text.

I read "Straight and Crooked Thinking" by R H Thouless independently of any teaching. However, by your definition that is rote learning.

I am wondering what your claims to non-rote learning are. Your choice of nom-de-plume is hardly original thinking. I'll exclude the fact it is misspelled.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on what constitutes rote learning. To me, it's regurgitating what a teacher puts up on a blackboard. Or specifies in a text.

I read "Straight and Crooked Thinking" by R H Thouless independently of any teaching. However, by your definition that is rote learning.

I am wondering what your claims to non-rote learning are. Your choice of nom-de-plume is hardly original thinking. I'll exclude the fact it is misspelled.

The first course I remember taking that taught me how to think as opposed to what to think was logic 101.  I believe I was a sophomore in college.  The first time someone asked me my opinion on the subject matter with a view to changing the course was my first year of graduate school. 

You could teach it much earlier and in much more simple terms.  I find the one thing that needs to be taught on Thai Visa more than any other is Russell's Teapot.

I misspelled my name for a reason. 

On 10/6/2018 at 10:04 AM, rooster59 said:

The question of teachers in Thai schools nationwide racking up massive debt has been in the news recently. 

If 15,000 THB doesn't even cover living expenses, how do you propose to pay off or even qualify for a loan?  

3 hours ago, fullcave said:

If 15,000 THB doesn't even cover living expenses, how do you propose to pay off or even qualify for a loan?  

They qualify for the loan because they are a government teacher and find a Farang to pay it monthly.  Not much money for rent and marital bliss. 

9 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

They qualify for the loan because they are a government teacher and find a Farang to pay it monthly.  Not much money for rent and marital bliss. 

So all Thai teachers marry foreigners? And the foreigner pays for the rent or the loan?

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Then they could speak English too.  Win win.

Ahhh so you are making a suggestion rather than stating a fact.

I would suggest that Thai English teachers should be paid more than 15,000 baht a month. If not, Thailand will lose a lot of potentially good teachers whose English language skills are better rewarded in other more mercenary professions. 

If she had lived in a 2000 baht room , did not have a fancy smart phone , did not send half her salary to the extended family , she mighr have a chance to live on 15k .  

But as most Thais , money and status is everything , even if you have to borrow them. 

2 hours ago, Andrew108 said:

Ahhh so you are making a suggestion rather than stating a fact.

I would suggest that Thai English teachers should be paid more than 15,000 baht a month. If not, Thailand will lose a lot of potentially good teachers whose English language skills are better rewarded in other more mercenary professions. 

I’m guessing that the only “mercenary” professions aren’t ones that someone with a teachers personality would really go for (some sore of high stress commission based sales....and they’d better be good) or some type of STEM degree position which are for the smartest students.  Most other degreed professions (nursing and other health care related basic positions, banks, insurance companies or other corporate office drone type job) will pay the same 15k to start with similar raises.

7 hours ago, balo said:

If she had lived in a 2000 baht room , did not have a fancy smart phone , did not send half her salary to the extended family , she mighr have a chance to live on 15k .  

But as most Thais , money and status is everything , even if you have to borrow them. 

And Westerners? They don’t worry about money and status? Do you have any idea of the levels of consumer debt in western countries?

15 minutes ago, Andrew108 said:

And Westerners? They don’t worry about money and status? Do you have any idea of the levels of consumer debt in western countries?

"Household debt in UK 'worse than at any time on record"  Shhhhh don't tell him.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jul/26/household-debt-in-uk-worse-than-at-any-time-on-record

Actually I think there is an implicit kind of racism at work here where some Westerners use their economic superiority to justify their arrogant attitude towards Thai people specifically and Thai culture in general. They don’t want wage parity or Thais to be paid more because then they wouldn’t feel so good about thenselves. Some Westerners feel their economic superiority also gives them a moral and cultural superiority too.  

2 minutes ago, Andrew108 said:

Actually I think there is an implicit kind of racism at work here where some Westerners use their economic superiority to justify their arrogant attitude towards Thai people specifically and Thai culture in general. They don’t want wage parity or Thais to be paid more because then they wouldn’t feel so good about thenselves. Some Westerners feel their economic superiority also gives them a moral and cultural superiority too.  

There's wage parity in the states as well but making minimum wage across the board is the wrong answer just as it is in Thailand. In Thailand you have kids not willing to even be maximumly educated. One generation helps up the next and so forth.  

I understand some teachers offer after school tutoring. Couple this with a job on the weekend teaching somewhere else.

Some teachers pull double due to this.

Also, she could economize. I know several young professionals often share a good condo and split the rent three ways. Her 2k a month in rent could put her in a decent 6k condo.

Most of us are from countries where we make 120,000 out of college, 150,000 after a year or two, and 200,000 baht equivalent after five years or so.....I knew this was my potential WHEN i decided on my major in college.  bonuses at the end of the year were 300,000 baht or more, almost every year.....was it super fun work?  of course not.  

my point.  she knew teacher salaries (I hope) years and years ago......15,000 is nothing for us, and when you have youtube you can find out it's nothing for most people....so it's easy to spend and spend and spend.  

i feel bad for her.   life is not over!!!  Go study English every day, all day, no phone, live the language....then find a way to work in the UK or America or Canada or wherever....

and you might realize you are happier at 15,000...... but whatever, worry about that later.

15,000 baht/m. leaves one a pretty boring life. If we say that she has 11,000 to herself every month (after paying loans, family, etc.), she will only have max 2,000 baht for room and electricity a month, because even when I was most poor in Bangkok, I used minimum 300 baht per day (food, transportation, laundry, shampoo, tooth paste, etc.). 2,000 for housing and electricity is close to impossible in Bkk. And even if we put he daily expenses down to 250 baht a day and say she has 12,000 for herself per month (after loans, family, etc.), she will only have around 4,000 per month for accommodation and elec. This will force her to share a room with a friend. 

The conclusion must be that she can survive on the salary, but not more than just survive. It is not a fun life. However, if her salary rises to, say, 22,000 baht after a few years, she can start to live an ok life, in my opinion.   

What type of car is she paying finance for ? (fuel costs ? ) When i was that age all i ever had was old bangers (that not changed much) but that.s not good enough for this generation,expensive phones,internet costs,look how wonderful i am attitude, tell your family to take a hike ! or a job. What accommodation does the lazy family have now. My Wife,s kids, brother and sister boy still at school works pizza place eve,s and week ends, daughter that expensive coffee chain only one motor bike,brother takes and picks up sister whom i may add is a part time parent, they have a brand new house they share with a 7k a month mortgage it can be done.

1 hour ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

15,000 baht/m. leaves one a pretty boring life. If we say that she has 11,000 to herself every month (after paying loans, family, etc.), she will only have max 2,000 baht for room and electricity a month, because even when I was most poor in Bangkok, I used minimum 300 baht per day (food, transportation, laundry, shampoo, tooth paste, etc.). 2,000 for housing and electricity is close to impossible in Bkk. And even if we put he daily expenses down to 250 baht a day and say she has 12,000 for herself per month (after loans, family, etc.), she will only have around 4,000 per month for accommodation and elec. This will force her to share a room with a friend. 

The conclusion must be that she can survive on the salary, but not more than just survive. It is not a fun life. However, if her salary rises to, say, 22,000 baht after a few years, she can start to live an ok life, in my opinion.   

Boo hoo hoo stop using expensive shampoo,a bar of 13 baht soap works fine and wont wreck you hair,live without air con,do your own washing,welcome to the real world

On 10/6/2018 at 10:50 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

It's interesting to read all those negative comments here.

I wonder how many of the readers ever tried to live on 15k per month in Thailand. Or even 30k per month.

Yes, it's somehow possible to survive on 15k, but that about it.

I think teachers, and not only teachers, should get paid a decent salary to be able to live without problems.

They shouldn't be "forced" to do a second job or borrow money to live a reasonable life.

o.k i don,t pay rent but i can live on 17 k a month.i drink moderately,smoke, cook my own food,wash my own clothes,what does she do in the school holidays? life is not easy when your young get used to it.

On 10/6/2018 at 5:50 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how many of the readers ever tried to live on 15k per month in Thailand. Or even 30k per month.

I think teachers, and not only teachers, should get paid a decent salary to be able to live without problems.

They shouldn't be "forced" to do a second job or borrow money to live a reasonable life.

many millions get by on less than 15k/month

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:50 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

many millions get by on less than 15k/month

Many million Thais get on by less than that.

My point was how many people who write here in the forum would be able to manage with 15k? It's always easy to talk how other people can't handle money if you have enough of it. I am sure some forum users wouldn't even notice if they spend 15k more or less in a month.

On 10/6/2018 at 6:50 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I am 100% sure that any Thai would share this wish. As long as financing it will not mean that he/she would have to pay more (or any) taxes.

On 10/6/2018 at 10:24 AM, baansgr said:

Its called economics and living within your means. At 16 years old I could only afford a bedsit and walked almost everywhere, to work, shops etc until i could get a motorbike. Bought what I could afford as no credit available then. Living on 30k with 3 kids I know it can be done and be done comfortably albeit I own my property so no rent. She probably has a 25-30k mobile phone and buys designer brands. Food is so cheap and healthy here. In all honesty, she dosnt realise how easy she has it....fuel...so she has transport...Father, shes only young why cant he work...other kids in family...let the parents pay. No one to blame except herself and other family members living out of their means

'Its called economics and living within your means.' 

It's called failed economics- rife the world over now.

You try it then!

You can only spend so little.

No teacher should go in to the profession expecting to be well off, but that salary is ridiculous.

Archived