Visa To England

Hello,

Could you please advise. My Thai girlfriend will have about 2 weeks holiday inbetween changing jobs and would like to visit me in England.

She will apply for the visa whilst still working in the first job and request 2 weeks. She will not mention she will technically be unemployed whilst in England until she returns to start her new job.

My question is in 2 parts.

1) Is the above the best way to apply for the visa or any advice?

2) On requesting a visa for 2 weeks, how long will the visa be for? (i.e. is there a 2 week visa or will they issue a 3 month visa)

Many thanks

Martin

My question is in 2 parts.

1) Is the above the best way to apply for the visa or any advice?

2) On requesting a visa for 2 weeks, how long will the visa be for? (i.e. is there a 2 week visa or will they issue a 3 month visa)

1) Yes, it's the best way. Applying for a tourist visa, your girlfriend will have to provide enough information to convince the embassy that she will return to Thailand after the visit. Having a job does sure make it easier.

2) Her visa would be multiple entry visa, and valid for 6 months.

You can find more information here.. British Embassy, Bangkok

Good luck.

On requesting a visa for 2 weeks, how long will the visa be for? (i.e. is there a 2 week visa or will they issue a 3 month visa)

The British Embassy can issue shorter visas - you're not guaranteed a 6 month multi-entry one.

Also, if she says she's going for two weeks, and ends up staying for three months, even if the visa allows it, she'll have a much harder time getting the next visa, and probably won't get it.

There's a separate thread (actually about Schengen visa) where it's mentioned that staying longer than you say is not looked at kindly by the British Embassy on future applications even if she leaves before the visa stamp allows.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10410&hl=

That previous posting about staying longer in the UK that you originally state (even within your visa overall period) was by me, so do be careful here. Although the usual visitor's visa is 6 months, the embassy can issue any period they wish. If your GF states that she only wishes to visit for 2 weeks then it's likely that she will get a 2 month visitors visa and be asked to sign an undertaking (stapled into her passport), which states that she will only stay in the UK for 2 weeks. (So her 2 month visa is really only a 2 week visa!!).

But if she really is only staying for 2 weeks then none of this should be a problem for her

I'm not familiar with UK tourist visas, but generally the length of the visa decides when she is eligible to enter the UK. When entering the UK, the Immigration officer decides how long she can stay based on guidelines for that visa.

For the US, a 3 month tourist visa means you can enter the US anytime for 3 months after the effective date on the visa, you may stay in the US up to six months, depending on what the immigration officer puts on the entry stamp.

TH

There is another way as it is only for 2 weeks do as My Brother and Sister in laws do They just book the holiday through a Thai Travel Agent and they do not even have to go to the British Embassy

I am not quiet sure they might be lucky as there jobs respectfully are Buyer for Nestle and middle management for Thai Telecomes and both have travelled extensivly for their companies

But it might be worth while checking it out also perhaps try a Uk site Thailand-uk forum Good Luck

I'm not familiar with UK tourist visas, but generally the length of the visa decides when she is eligible to enter the UK. When entering the UK, the Immigration officer decides how long she can stay based on guidelines for that visa.

For the US, a 3 month tourist visa means you can enter the US anytime for 3 months after the effective date on the visa, you may stay in the US up to six months, depending on what the immigration officer puts on the entry stamp.

TH

The visa will be the usual - valid for entry in the next 6 months, but will have written on it that the person should only be granted permission to stay for 2 or 3 months... i.e. The embassy is effectively telling immigration not to use the usual 6 month stamp.

The UK embassy in Thailand started issuing these about 4 years ago. I know because, as I stated in another thread my mother-in-law stayed for the 6 months that she was given at entry, after saying she'd only stay for 3 months. (My wife persuaded her to stay longer).

On her next visa the visa stipulated that she should only be given entry for 2 months, which was slightly longer than the length requested at interview. This time she stayed only as long as planned, and now has a 2 year multi-entry visa. (America seems to be a lot easier than the UK - first trip there for her this year, and they gave her a 10 year multi-entry).

Thank you all,

My girlfriend thinks that she may now be able to stay with me for 2 or 3 months in England and then plans to return to start her own Grocery business in her home town some 5 hours from Bangkok instead of finding another employed job.

Could you please advise if applying whilst still employed in her current job, what would be the best approach? I expect for her to apply whilst still employed is best, but apply for how long?

To apply for 2 weeks still or for 2 or 3 months? She would actually want 2 or 3 months.

If whilst employed she applies for 2 weeks and stays for 2 or 3 months I assume that our first problem would be the UK stamp on entering England and if that was for long enough. (i.e. applies for 2 weeks and get entrance stamp for 2 or 3 months or more or less?)

Also it has been mentioned that to stay longer than requested would effect the next visa request. Can I assume this would ONLY effect another Tourist visa and NOT effect a subsequent Fiancee visa request at all?

Thanks again.

Can I assume this would ONLY effect another Tourist visa and NOT effect a subsequent Fiancee visa request at all?

It wouldn't prevent her getting a subsequent fiance visa, so long as you have all the required info. (Proof of income, proof of a place to live, how big the house is, etc.)

But it may well influence how tough the interview process is for that fiance visa. i.e. As far as the embassy is concerned, she has lied on a previous visa application, which never goes down well.

Hold on a min, so what is being said here is that if my G-f just wanted to visit me for 2 or 3 weeks in England all she would have to do is visit the travel agent, get her ticket and she would be issued a visa at the airport?

Is this correct??????????

Hold on a min, so what is being said here is that if my G-f just wanted to visit me for 2 or 3 weeks in England all she would have to do is visit the travel agent, get her ticket and she would be issued a visa at the airport?

Is this correct??????????

do not think so. ONLY uk embassy can dish out visas. Travel agents may help but there is a Fee at the embassy of 2700 baht to be paid.

Go have a read at their site, sorry lost link:-(

On requesting a visa for 2 weeks, how long will the visa be for? (i.e. is there a 2 week visa or will they issue a 3 month visa)

The British Embassy can issue shorter visas - you're not guaranteed a 6 month multi-entry one.

Also, if she says she's going for two weeks, and ends up staying for three months, even if the visa allows it, she'll have a much harder time getting the next visa, and probably won't get it.

There's a separate thread (actually about Schengen visa) where it's mentioned that staying longer than you say is not looked at kindly by the British Embassy on future applications even if she leaves before the visa stamp allows.

The UK is NOT part of the Schengen Agreement,

Thanks, i`m aware of the process, it`s just that the previous poster was saying that it`s possible to just go in the travel agent?

Never heardof that before? 

The poster also pointed out the persons involved had upper/mid level positions and passports full of travel entries. A young lady with a new passport would 'probably' be asked to appear for an interview IMHO.

I have to agree Lopburi.

Having a few previous visas in her passport, showing that she actually does honor foreign country visa requirements would be a BIG plus.

My wife had been (with me) to the UAE, Malaysia and Cambodia before she applied for a US visa.

I put together a 1 inch stack of related paperwork, which included a recently signed 1 year lease on a house in Pattaya, our marriage certificate from 8 months previous, and various other business related documents that showed I had business interests in Asia.

She turned in her application one morning, and picked up her passport the next morning which had a 10 year multiple entry visa in it. She's allowed to stay in the USA for 6 months at a time.

I seriously doubt she'd be able to pop over the border into Canada or Mexico and pop back into the USA 30 minutes later like I've done numerous times to Cambodia though.

I'm quite certain that having a few other visas in her passport helped though with getting her visa so quickly without an interview. I doubt she would have passed that "Nervousness" test, even though there was absolutely nothing untowards with her application or intentions.

I WISH I could get a 10 year, multiple entry Thai visa that would allow me to stay in LOS for 6 montha at a whack that easily.

It's different everywhere one goes though.

Hi guys,

Quick addition.

Is it a wise decision to tell British Embassy that my girlfriend quits her job and wants to stay with me in England for 3 months and then return to Thailand? Then she will start her own business up Country. She works for a Hotel now and has been there for about 5 years.

Also she has no money in her Bank account. Does this matter or not, please?

Thanks

i don't think thats a bad thing to say, if she can get full proof of 5 years employment at the hotel and possibly a letter saying she's welcome to go back to the hotel on her return then i think that will be in her favour.

as for her bank, just show she has an account and if applicable her salary being paid into the account. you will have to provide proof that you will be beneficially responsible for her.

Also she has no money in her Bank account. Does this matter or not, please?

Hate to break your bubble but if she has no funds how is she planning on explaining her trip? You can not guarantee anything so it is up to her to provide the proof. And having no funds available is not going to fly IMHO.

Hate to break your bubble but if she has no funds how is she planning on explaining her trip? You can not guarantee anything so it is up to her to provide the proof. And having no funds available is not going to fly IMHO.

I am not sure if it's the same as business visa. When I applied for my business visa for the UK, my mother got a letter from her bank to guarantee travellers. So, I didn't have to submit my own statement. The letter would show all the details of her account, including available balance at that moment.

The UK is NOT part of the Schengen Agreement,

Yes - the thread linked to was about Schengen visas - but the specific example I was referring to related to what the British Embassy did in the same circumstance.

In order to achieve a 3 month holiday to England for my Thai girlfriend under the following circumstances what is the best visa to apply for (Tourist or Finacee) and what should we say, please?

She will quit her Hotel job after 5 years working there to visit me in England around August 2004. She has no savings. She will return to Thailand 3 months later to start her Grocery shop business up Country, but for purposes of visa request, she has no job to return to.

If it is the Fiancee visa that is recommended rather than a tourist visa in our circumstances, then after 6 months in England, if we decide not to marry then the only consequence is that she must return to Thailand, is that right?

We have absolutely no wish for her to stay illegally in England, but we do want a 3 month holiday here to get to know each other better and as she has the time because she is quitting work and I will remain at work in England.

I am not sure if it's the same as business visa. When I applied for my business visa for the UK, my mother got a letter from her bank to guarantee travellers. So, I didn't have to submit my own statement.

Believe that was a letter to sponsor and not a guarantee from reading of UK Embassy rules. A UK resident can sponsor but not guarantee LINK

If it is the Fiancee visa that is recommended rather than a tourist visa in our circumstances, then after 6 months in England, if we decide not to marry then the only consequence is that she must return to Thailand, is that right?

This would be the proper visa and if marriage does not take place should just leave before visa period ends. It's a pain but if you do marry a lot of the paperwork has already been done (at least for US that is the case).

The problem here is she can not qualify on her own and if you get involved it makes it obvious that proper visa would be fiancée so I don't believe a tourist visa would stand much of a chance. The one thing you do not want to do is lie about anything in this process as it could come back to bite big time later.

I am not sure if it's the same as business visa. When I applied for my business visa for the UK, my mother got a letter from her bank to guarantee travellers. So, I didn't have to submit my own statement.

Believe that was a letter to sponsor and not a guarantee from reading of UK Embassy rules. A UK resident can sponsor but not guarantee LINK

As far as I remember, Bangkok Bank used the word "guarantee". I mentioned this way as it could be another choice. My point was that, if the girl has got little money in her own account, then she can ask her parents or relatives to contact their bank (with all details of the travellers in hand) and get this letter. The fee was 100 THB then. I used only my passport, this letter, invitation letter from a company in the UK, my company's documents, the fee.. and my visa was granted that afternoon.

But of course, if twix38 wanted to be her sponsor, that'd be different.

As far as I remember, Bangkok Bank used the word "guarantee". I mentioned this way as it could be another choice. My point was that, if the girl has got little money in her own account, then she can ask her parents or relatives to contact their bank

I misread your post in the context or believing that your Mother was in UK when this happened as my previous post concerned "you" as the UK poster rather than anyone in the applicants family in Thailand. Sorry for confusion.