Thailand terror: Kiwi teen attacked by pack of dogs

rooster59

Thailand terror: Kiwi teen attacked by pack of dogs

teen.JPG

Canterbury high school student Sarah Calley was bitten by stray dogs when going on an early morning run along a Thailand beach. Photo: Supplied via NZ Herald

A Kiwi teen's idyllic holiday in Thailand turned to a nightmare after she was set upon by pack of stray dogs while running alone at a popular beach.

Sarah Calley, 16, narrowly escaped a mauling at the teeth of 12 feral dogs and only escaped by diving into the sea, where she was forced to tread water until the animals lost interest.

The Christchurch teenager, who had hopes of becoming a vet, said she now lives in fear of dogs.

Full story: https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/thailand-terror-kiwi-teen-attacked-pack-dogs

Otago Daily Times: 2018-10-07

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

after she was set upon by pack of stray dogs while running alone at a popular beach.

packs of stray dogs on a popular beach...; these are the kinds of stories that affect tourism and thailand's reputation, not the usual drivel cited by so many thai officials who havent the slightest clue what thailand's international reputation is

Thailand  beach feral dogs in early morning are well known to long stayers but not tourists. Hotels should be responsible to keep their guests informed . I had a run in with a pack of feral dogs in bangsaphan beach area . Luckily I was informed earlier by the guesthouse owner so armed with an umbrella, I was able to frighten the dogs away.  Always keep your wits about you when in thailand be it soi dogs, ladyboys, bargirls, police,...

A few weeks ago a 4 year old child  in Chaiyapum province was savaged to death by 3 dogs that slipped their leashes. There was no noticeable response from the authorities. 

But now news of a Western girl being bitten by a pack of stray dogs may go global and damage the image of Thailand, leading to a drop in income.

Watch the authorities jump into action.

Pass the sick bag. Alice.

From the OP link the attack occurred at Nai Yang beach...

A week before Calley was attacked in January, the dogs also bit five other tourists, according to a report in the Phuket News.

So nothing done to address the problem.

Yes the parents immediately arranged for rabies shots.

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/thailand-terror-kiwi-teen-attacked-pack-dogs

Bit 5 other tourists the week before. And then what 2 weeks before that?, and then?

Lunacy by the hotel and police and hospital not following this further to the dog gang problem. Sound like Thailand 25 years ago. Rabies vaccine? Now I will read into this more if there is one that actually works for years. I have my radar on Thailand rabies news stories because of my family.

10 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Thailand  beach feral dogs in early morning are well known to long stayers but not tourists. Hotels should be responsible to keep their guests informed .

If the hotels would inform their guests that they shouldn't walk on the the beach in the morning, as that is the only time it's walkable, the occupancy rate would plunge.

Very big efforts were made by the authoroties to haunt down one (1) lousy crocodile on Phuket, but when it comes down to the holy dog packs, nothing is done.

last week my 4 yr old boy was btten at the temple as we attended a funeral, no blood was drawn and the skin was not punctured.The head monks reaction was '' maa gut len''....''it was a play bite'', this is the type of thinking that keeps Thailand in the stone ages...Thailand will never ever ever be a progressive nation with packs of stray dogs running feral ....STOP THIS INSANITY

Ownerless dogs without tax payment, without a chip and not on a leach  can be all put to sleep.

Start put annual tax on dogs heavily fine owners who dont pay dog tax this will really shrink the problem.

All agressive dogs with or without owner can be killed too

59 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

If the hotels would inform their guests that they shouldn't walk on the the beach in the morning, as that is the only time it's walkable, the occupancy rate would plunge.

Very big efforts were made by the authoroties to haunt down one (1) lousy crocodile on Phuket, but when it comes down to the holy dog packs, nothing is done.

As I and many others have said, there is a feral/soi dog problem here which needs to be addressed.

It is not rocket science and this place needs a clean up in this area, which could be easily initiated with a small amount of money and new by-laws relating to dog ownership.

Take this from one who has been "attacked" by one.

This situation is easily rectified.

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Walking usually isn't a problem. It's running. It sets off the dogs chase instinct.

The reality is that this problem isn't going to go away anytime soon. So people have to educate themselves as to what to do in the event of an attack. Firstly, dogs respond to quick movements which will trigger their instinct to chase and also they will then perceive you as threat, so if your jogging, as in the case of this girl or cycling then the worst possible thing you can do is speed up. As hard as it may seem at the time you have to stop and once stopped try and remain calm. If you do feel the need to move then back away slowly with your arms raised making yourself as big as possible. Dogs can sense fear a mile off and will then believe that they are in control. Talk to the dog in your loudest. most authoritative voice, don't be afraid to call for help. But don't point at it, this will make your hands a easy target. Hands should be held high or balled into a fists to prevent fingers from being bitten off. 

Also, Do not make eye contact, this can trigger an attack.       

1 hour ago, bannork said:

A few weeks ago a 4 year old child  in Chaiyapum province was savaged to death by 3 dogs that slipped their leashes. There was no noticeable response from the authorities. 

But now news of a Western girl being bitten by a pack of stray dogs may go global and damage the image of Thailand, leading to a drop in income.

Watch the authorities jump into action.

Pass the sick bag. Alice.

I doubt it.  The Thai authorities either ignore the problem or side with the dogs. 
Now, had she had been attacked by pigeons??? They would be mobilizing the tourist police and immigration led by the Big Joke.

1 minute ago, connda said:

I doubt it.  The Thai authorities either ignore the problem or side with the dogs. 
Now, had she had been attacked by pigeons??? They would be mobilizing the tourist police and immigration led by the Big Joke.

I wonder if that applies to anyone shitting on you? I know it does if you're Chinese.

7 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Yes, yes. I understand this, the point is, they (the dogs) shouldn't be there in the first place.

Right, tourist areas and beaches, where tourists spend loads of money, should be safe at least in the day time.

Now this girl , back in her country, surely will not speak very highly about her holiday in Thailand.

Archived