Thailand terror: Kiwi teen attacked by pack of dogs

rooster59

7 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Problem would be so easy to fix, send of some RTP officers with their guns to have an early morning run. I'll tip them 100 Bahts per dog head they bring back. I am not kidding, but I am afraid there isn't any RTP officer prepared to break a sweat..

it would take much less than that, i'm sure if they started giving 25-50 baht for each roaming dog brought alive and make it evident to everyone via news that if the dogs are not claimed within 10 days, they will be lost.

within a month the problem would be fixed.

i bet you that a lot of Somchais would turn up with possibly 10-100 of dogs just for the paycheck.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, koratkarlos said:

I ride a bicycle.  I try to use the back roads to avoid traffic.  But then there are so many soi dogs I go back an deal with the cars and motorbikes instead.  The truth is that I do not know what to do about these animals.  I am thinking about mounting an aluminum club on the bike.

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

They are a complete MENACE and it's mostly Thais that are the problem. Feeding them scraps, leaving them at temples and generally 'mai pen rai'. Round them up and euthanize them.

good  solution but what about the dog  problem???

49 minutes ago, kekalot said:

it would take much less than that, i'm sure if they started giving 25-50 baht for each roaming dog brought alive and make it evident to everyone via news that if the dogs are not claimed within 10 days, they will be lost.

within a month the problem would be fixed.

Unfortunately, fenced dogs would suddenly start disappearing too.

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

The reality is that this problem isn't going to go away anytime soon. So people have to educate themselves as to what to do in the event of an attack. Firstly, dogs respond to quick movements which will trigger their instinct to chase and also they will then perceive you as threat, so if your jogging, as in the case of this girl or cycling then the worst possible thing you can do is speed up. As hard as it may seem at the time you have to stop and once stopped try and remain calm. If you do feel the need to move then back away slowly with your arms raised making yourself as big as possible. Dogs can sense fear a mile off and will then believe that they are in control. Talk to the dog in your loudest. most authoritative voice, don't be afraid to call for help. But don't point at it, this will make your hands a easy target. Hands should be held high or balled into a fists to prevent fingers from being bitten off. 

Also, Do not make eye contact, this can trigger an attack.       

Pepperspray will do the job in an instant. It is illegal to carry, but easy to get in Bangkok I learned from a bicyclist.

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Unfortunately, fenced dogs would suddenly start disappearing too.

maybe but if they are REALLY fenced, they would get claimed back and they could then blacklist the person that brought them in.

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I have only been chased by a group of dogs once, when cycling. I shouted at them, then ignored them and they gave up after a hundred metres.

I see Nice Boyd just posted to say he carries and stun gun and pepper spray too. That might be the answer?

Yeah stun gun in one hand, pepper spray in the other whilst out jogging should bring any unwanted attention. 

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

Would the authorities now start to grovel to the NZ government?

Better do something, those pesky white farang are worth to cultivate 

Solution:  Pay some Chinese to run on the beach early in the morning which will provoke an attack by the pack.  Chinese joggers complain to the Chinese government.  Problem soon solved as Big Joke mobilizes the RTP, Immigration Police, and the Tourist Police to solve the problem of dog attacks on Chinese tourists. 

2 hours ago, Nice Boyd said:

That’s why I carry a Stun Gun

Which will get you arrested in the Land of Strays.

But, up to you.  Som nahm na if you're caught.  At the end of the day, dogs have more rights than you. 

I'd like to know my options and the legal ramifications thereof.

1) Penalty for carrying pepper spray

2) Penalty for beating a feral

3) Penalty for poisoning a feral

If we are talking about a 500 baht fine or jail time means a world of difference...

3 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Right, tourist areas and beaches, where tourists spend loads of money, should be safe at least in the day time.

Any area, regardless of the time, should be safe from free roaming monsters that you can't hit/defend yourself with a stick without getting arrested.

35 minutes ago, connda said:

Solution:  Pay some Chinese to run on the beach early in the morning which will provoke an attack by the pack.  Chinese joggers complain to the Chinese government.  Problem soon solved as Big Joke mobilizes the RTP, Immigration Police, and the Tourist Police to solve the problem of dog attacks on Chinese tourists. 

Invite a bus load of Chinese along for a morning run on the beach followed by a BBQ...…….tell them meat will be supplied but they need to bring a knife!!!!!

This report has even less credibility than anything that The Sun in the UK prints and that is saying something!

From the link,

"...she had blood running down her leg...Her skin had not been torn open but she had deep puncture wounds on the back of her leg".

Where had the blood come from then?

"Because the holiday had been organised as a surprise for Calley and her sister Michaela, the girls had not had a rabies shot and so Moira took her daughter to the shower to clean the wounds, while her husband rushed to reception to organise a taxi.

Taken to a nearby hospital, Calley was given several painful injections, including rabies shots".

If her skin had not been broken why would she need to clean the wounds that were not there and endure several painful injections including more than one rabies shot?

22 minutes ago, Vacuum said:
3 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Right, tourist areas and beaches, where tourists spend loads of money, should be safe at least in the day time. 

Any area, regardless of the time, should be safe from free roaming monsters that you can't hit/defend yourself with a stick without getting arrested.

Are we talking about Thailand or Utopialand ?

3 hours ago, koratkarlos said:

I ride a bicycle.  I try to use the back roads to avoid traffic.  But then there are so many soi dogs I go back an deal with the cars and motorbikes instead.  The truth is that I do not know what to do about these animals.  I am thinking about mounting an aluminum club on the bike.

I used to have a loosely tethered length of pvc pipe under my top bar.  Now have an Air zound horn that uses compressed air. Extremely loud. Startles anyone or anything nearby, especially me if I accidentally set it off.

28 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

This report has even less credibility than anything that The Sun in the UK prints and that is saying something!

From the link,

"...she had blood running down her leg...Her skin had not been torn open but she had deep puncture wounds on the back of her leg".

"Because the holiday had been organised as a surprise for Calley and her sister Michaela, the girls had not had a rabies shot and so Moira took her daughter to the shower to clean the wounds, while her husband rushed to reception to organise a taxi.

Taken to a nearby hospital, Calley was given several painful injections, including rabies shots".

If her skin had not been broken why would she need to clean the wounds that were not there and endure several painful injections including more than one rabies shot?

Who cares. I’m sure the hospital don’t give out rabies shots for fun. She was clearly bitten by a pack of stray dogs, or do you think they made the whole thing up?

4 minutes ago, Vacuum said:
19 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Are we talking about Thailand or Utopialand ?

In my opinion, they are the same.

Utopia :

An imagined place or state of things in which everything is perfect.

Nope, i don't think so.

15 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Utopia :

Well if you re-arrenge a bit it's Thailand: A state of things or place in which everything is imagined to be perfect.

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:
19 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Utopia :

Well if you re-arrenge a bit it's Thailand: A state of things or place in which everything is imagined to be perfect. 

Well, i have to admit that i don't have such a great imagination.

3 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Problem would be so easy to fix, send of some RTP officers with their guns to have an early morning run. I'll tip them 100 Bahts per dog head they bring back. I am not kidding, but I am afraid there isn't any RTP officer prepared to break a sweat..

Or possibly any who could manage to hit a dog which was not standing still (with a target pinned to its body).

3 hours ago, car720 said:

Mate, I got dropped at the Gunpowder turnoff once on my way to 3 Roads.  I was there for 2 days without being able to get a ride.  On the 2nd night a pack of feral dogs came at me and I had to sleep up in the only tree for miles in either direction.  To say it was frightening is an understatement.

3 roads or three ways, if its the later there isnt much about there. Yeah not nice either way to have to fihht them off. The ones that went at me were part of a pack trained to atack in order to protect a property in PNG and I was only a kid at the time.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

From the link,

Obviously you've lead a sheltered life...……...puncture wounds are not only painful they bleed, esp if deep (and therefore can drive any infections deep also.

Just to help you out here; tear a piece of cloth and see how it looks then punch a hole in it with a screwdriver. The article says the skin had not been TORN, then you change that to "not been broken"????

43 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

I ate dog once (call it karma), a bit oily for my liking

I wonder if dogs think the same in reverse ????

You may be onto something here.

A campaign to encourage kabab stands to roast feral dog (just imagine the profits!) could take care of the issue in one busy weekend.

Archived