Thailand terror: Kiwi teen attacked by pack of dogs

rooster59

3 hours ago, connda said:

Which will get you arrested in the Land of Strays.

But, up to you.  Som nahm na if you're caught.  At the end of the day, dogs have more rights than you. 

It’s 100 b fine , just the noise they hear they run off, I wouldn’t stun them , unless attacked, and almost by 6 of them with Gf in Patts

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

right 'o' after the recent threads and 1000's posts, rightly so talking about racism by the gang of thieves:

bang, we get this thread to switch attention some spineless cowards can attack the voiceless animals 

15 minutes ago, humbug said:

right 'o' after the recent threads and 1000's posts, rightly so talking about racism by the gang of thieves:

bang, we get this thread to switch attention some spineless cowards can attack the voiceless animals 

None of the dogs I have ever encountered have spoken to me...……..are the ones in your neighbourhood different?? 

8 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Ownerless dogs without tax payment, without a chip and not on a leach  can be all put to sleep.

Start put annual tax on dogs heavily fine owners who dont pay dog tax this will really shrink the problem.

All agressive dogs with or without owner can be killed too

I can't see too many Thai dog owners paying a stupid dog tax and lots of falangs getting fined for not having it. How is that supposed to solve the problem? 

I was running on the back along na Jomtien 5 years ago past the temple on shore line. 5 dogs started the pursuit. 1 instigator luckily a large tree stalk was handy. I became the agressor dogs left. They believe it's all there's. Temples feed these beasts

8 hours ago, xylophone said:

As I and many others have said, there is a feral/soi dog problem here which needs to be addressed.

It is not rocket science and this place needs a clean up in this area, which could be easily initiated with a small amount of money and new by-laws relating to dog ownership.

Take this from one who has been "attacked" by one.

This situation is easily rectified.

It is not easily rectified as the Thais don't see it as a real problem, are two main reasons for this, Buddhism and another the other one that I think we are all aware of.

The real reason I am so afraid of Thai dogs roaming the street is because I know if a dog attacks me I will kill it instantly, that's my rule, you bite me you die. As a result I am sure I will get blamed by the 'Buddhist' Thai's for killing a dog and somehow make me the bad guy. That is the real danger in this backwards place. 

Everyone who travels Thai beaches or SOIs for exercise should carry a sword and administer lethal justice on the spot. How many people are attacked by feral cats, anyone have experience? I get scratched and occasionally bitten by my cat, typical female of the species.

11 hours ago, YetAnother said:

packs of stray dogs on a popular beach...; these are the kinds of stories that affect tourism and thailand's reputation, not the usual drivel cited by so many thai officials who havent the slightest clue what thailand's international reputation is

Each day almost every day I walk 6 to 8 km along Cha-am Beach.  Almost every day on my walk I am set upon by at least one of the many stray dogs who belong to no one and roam around Cha-am at will  perhaps 300 or 400 or more.  Some of these dogs would like to bite and savage me given half a chance.  I alway carry a large umbrella not for the rain but to help me fight off the dogs who will attack often and I am a dog lover but not of these dogs.  I'm 76 y/o now and still good at frighting these dogs had lots of practice?  I also carry 3 large rocks in my pocket and often uses them by throwing them at the dogs that attack, that is often!!!  They always scatter when I confront them.  This is quite a normal situation in many location in Thailand.  The locals seem to think it's funny and get some pleasure from seeing farangs defending themselves from these dogs.   "if you feed them they will not attack you," they say  "maybe?"  And they are wondering why Western tourist numbers are dropping, Cha-am is presently in tourist crises.   The rule is if you are a 16 y/o girl tourist or anyone don't go walking alone along the beach front anywhere.  In Thailand Dogs are more important then humans and seem to be protected by the Monks, don't go for walks on your own but if you do get ready to fight.  If you fight off a savage dog and hurt it there maybe a price to pay.  This situation is very common in all Thailand...and really you must not forget that!!!

8 hours ago, overherebc said:

While I agree with you the problem with asking/making owner pay a tax for each dog they have will result in many dogs just being thrown out to join the others on the streets already.

So those would then be put too sleep.

Soon as Thais need to pay for a yearly dog tax then no longer they want dogs.

2 hours ago, djayz said:

I can't see too many Thai dog owners paying a stupid dog tax and lots of falangs getting fined for not having it. How is that supposed to solve the problem? 

Unchipped dogs without an owner paying dog tax should all be put too sleep..

That solves it.

1 hour ago, David Walden said:

Each day almost every day I walk 6 to 8 km along Cha-am Beach.  Almost every day on my walk I am set upon by at least one of the many stray dogs who belong to no one and roam around Cha-am at will  perhaps 300 or 400 or more.  Some of these dogs would like to bite and savage me given half a chance.  I alway carry a large umbrella not for the rain but to help me fight off the dogs who will attack often and I am a dog lover but not of these dogs.  I'm 76 y/o now and still good at frighting these dogs had lots of practice?  I also carry 3 large rocks in my pocket and often uses them by throwing them at the dogs that attack, that is often!!!  They always scatter when I confront them.  This is quite a normal situation in many location in Thailand.  The locals seem to think it's funny and get some pleasure from seeing farangs defending themselves from these dogs.   "if you feed them they will not attack you," they say  "maybe?"  And they are wondering why Western tourist numbers are dropping, Cha-am is presently in tourist crises.   The rule is if you are a 16 y/o girl tourist or anyone don't go walking alone along the beach front anywhere.  In Thailand Dogs are more important then humans and seem to be protected by the Monks, don't go for walks on your own but if you do get ready to fight.  If you fight off a savage dog and hurt it there maybe a price to pay.  This situation is very common in all Thailand...and really you must not forget that!!!

It’s a crying shame. Nothing beats an early morning walk along a beautiful beach. I’ve had a previous experience in Samui but personally was not bitten but a lady in the Hotel did and tbh the Hotel didn’t give a <deleted>. 

I returned to the same resort a year on and there were hardly any Soi Dogs to be seen so I guessing they have had some sort of cull. 

I still carry a large stick in case and am co Stanton looking over my shoulder which kind of spoils the experience. 

13 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

one dog mauled a 4 year old boy in Perth today dog destroyed same day

Yes, if and when it is likely that the owners of the dog that has bitten someone be found the courts will often fine that owner up to $10,000.  In Busselton (200km south of Perth West Aus) 2 years ago we had 2 cases where owners were fined the full $10,000 fine for allowing their dogs bite people.  They were then subject to civil action.  Big dogs biting people in Aus can cost everything you have (and more).  Your dog maybe put down also.

If your dog is found just on your verge outside your house by a Council Ranger running free it will cost you about $1,000 to get it back plus $70 boarding fee for each day it is unclaimed from the pound.  After 10 days it is put down if no one wants it.  Usually after 10 days anyone can legally claim it "if" they pay the fine and boarding costs and about $400 medical check up by a Vet...don't see any dogs running free around my home town in Australia now days...none.  Much the same in most Western Countries.  Not Thailand. 

They could catch them and gift them to Vietnam, they see them as good tucker. (Aussie slang word for food).  They really love them.

Licence all dogs, licence disc to be worn on the collar, chip them so the owner can be contacted.   Any dog with no licence is a 'stray' and will be impounded.  That's the way it works in most of our countries.

16 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

3 roads or three ways, if its the later there isnt much about there. Yeah not nice either way to have to fihht them off. The ones that went at me were part of a pack trained to atack in order to protect a property in PNG and I was only a kid at the time.

and I always thought that 3 ways was another place I had been.  :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

33 minutes ago, masuk said:

Licence all dogs, licence disc to be worn on the collar, chip them so the owner can be contacted.   Any dog with no licence is a 'stray' and will be impounded.  That's the way it works in most of our countries.

I agree & have said the same on this forum before . So why is it that the Thai powers that be , who must be aware of the dangers that soi dogs bring ( rabies & attacks ) , choose to ignore the problem ? 

Is it just apathy or part of the Buddhist belief ?  There was once a dog catcher who would come to our soi with many dogs in a cage on the back of a pick up but that was last seen 4 years ago  . I was told that he would take his catch to Cambodia .

45 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I'm reading it, so I care.  Seems that you do too judging by your backing of the hospital and the girl!

I'm just going by what was reported and that did not make any sense and, therefore, the article is not accurate.  There may well have been a huge element of exaggeration or fabrication.  Or do you think that what was reported was consistent?

There are, as is usual, slight inconsistencies in the language used, but it’s clear (to me anyway) what occurred so I don’t feel the need to play Quincy. 

Thailand will always be a 3rd World country whilst it treats its tourists and citizens as dog food.  There's no will to do anything about it: rogue taxi drivers/owner less soi dogs can be cured within a month if there was a functioning police force.

Archived