Thailand terror: Kiwi teen attacked by pack of dogs

rooster59

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

especially the imported fighting dogs such as pitbulls, they are a good reason to always carry a stick when you go walking.

If you would be atacked by a couple of them pitbulls, the only good reason to carry the the "stick", would be to knock yourself uncunscious, so you wouldn't feel the pain.

I ride a bicycle.  I try to use the back roads to avoid traffic.  But then there are so many soi dogs I go back an deal with the cars and motorbikes instead.  The truth is that I do not know what to do about these animals.  I am thinking about mounting an aluminum club on the bike.

1 minute ago, koratkarlos said:

I ride a bicycle.  I try to use the back roads to avoid traffic.  But then there are so many soi dogs I go back an deal with the cars and motorbikes instead.  The truth is that I do not know what to do about these animals.  I am thinking about mounting an aluminum club on the bike.

It seems like a good idea, bicycle riders are even more vulnerable than pedestrians.

6 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

It seems like a good idea, bicycle riders are even more vulnerable than pedestrians.

I have only been chased by a group of dogs once, when cycling. I shouted at them, then ignored them and they gave up after a hundred metres.

I see Nice Boyd just posted to say he carries and stun gun and pepper spray too. That might be the answer?

Soi dogs et al:  I always TALK to every dog I meet, anywhere.  Dogs consider the area they live in as THEIR territory.  Outside my fenced in area, I have 4 soi dogs to deal with daily.  I always greet them, " Hello puppy, how is your day - etc" with a friendly voice. When I first came to live here, they barked. Now they might sniff me every now and then as I →WALK, NEVER RUN or walk fast←, that is a threat to the dogs. most of the time they stay laying on the soi after a quick look see.

This is a matter that needs the attention of a crime buster, she probably lie to ruin the good name of Thai stray dogs (notoriously friendly), we will fly over NZ an A330-800 full of BiB to get a statement from here and investigate on the matter as we went on the scene but was no proof of the dogs aggression, if she lies we will ban her for life.

Use pepper spray, collect them afterwards and sell them into Northeastern Thailand called Isan. There they still operate that exchange programme "one dog = one pail" and doggie ends up, pre-peppered, in one of Hanoi's countless dog soup kettles ..........

Back in January??  Bit late off the press.

Most importantly most stories like this rarely pop up on the media grid.

Thousands of tourists go home after having nasty incidents like this including food poisoning and drugging.

Thailand doesnt care if foreigners get rabies from being bitten by these mongrelled out 4 legged(or three)  mutts.

All they care about is money. The recent photo showing thousands of Chinese packed onto a small beach cove with dozens of crappy tour boats belching out fumes is laughable.

This country is collapsing into a shambolic joke.

Could even be there already with manchild Prayuth holding the fort.

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I have only been chased by a group of dogs once, when cycling. I shouted at them, then ignored them and they gave up after a hundred metres.

I see Nice Boyd just posted to say he carries and stun gun and pepper spray too. That might be the answer?

I had a dog that was continuously come after me when I was passing on the road with the motorbike, one day, I had a bad awaking I went off, dog start follow me barking so I first accelerate an loose him then I turn around and drive back, this time I pointed at him and ram it... now he's running in the hell of the paraplegic dogs...

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Not sure about pepper spray, but i thought carrying a sun gun was illegal.

A walking stick if you walk, and a shorter, heavier metal stick on  a bicycle seem to be good solutions to me.

Most of the dogs will stop the chase as soon as you wave the stick, imo.

... As for pitbulls and the likes, well, one can just hope for the best..

my neighbours dogs are killing goats and sheep as they walk by behind our house and also other dogs on occasion. However we are being blamed because we have german shephards who do nothing wrong and are fenced. All these thai dogs are incredibly viscous and guess who feeds them? The temple! These dogs dont deserve compassion. They need dicipline like there owners. Most of the original owners have moved away already and the stupid dogs remain. My wife and i spend a good 50% of our day throwing rocks, firecrackers and even a couple shots to keep them away. Doesnt work though cuz the thais look at it like everything racially so they encourage the annoyance to feed there petty heads. Hope the dogs eat there children!

44 minutes ago, hobobo said:

As a vet she could easily get her revenge.

You do not get packs of wild dogs roaming freely as you do in Thailand. Most places demand chipping and dogs that have "bitten" are as a rule put to sleep. Dogs must be under the control of their owner or a responsible person at all time. Otherwise leashed. She will get over her fear of Dogs. i have had Soi Dogs try to intimidate me. None have ever tried to bite. If they do thats the last thing they will ever do I assure you

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Ownerless dogs without tax payment, without a chip and not on a leach  can be all put to sleep.

Start put annual tax on dogs heavily fine owners who dont pay dog tax this will really shrink the problem.

All agressive dogs with or without owner can be killed too

While I agree with you the problem with asking/making owner pay a tax for each dog they have will result in many dogs just being thrown out to join the others on the streets already.

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I got attacked and shredded by a pack of dogs when I was young, never liked dogs since.

Mate, I got dropped at the Gunpowder turnoff once on my way to 3 Roads.  I was there for 2 days without being able to get a ride.  On the 2nd night a pack of feral dogs came at me and I had to sleep up in the only tree for miles in either direction.  To say it was frightening is an understatement.

34 minutes ago, koratkarlos said:

IMHO you have a few options you could try.

1. Bring some food for the dogs a couple of days,and make sure you weare the same clothes.

2. If they try to attack you, go to step 3.

3. Poison the dogs.

Swinging a aluminum club whilst riding is not recommended. You could lose your balance and get mauled by the dogs.

8 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

She had planned to be a vet, and now she probably won't be because she  lives in fear of dogs, because a stray pack ganged up on her.

My guess is that she is thinking about what she wants to do with her life.  Being a 'vet' was probably one such career path she entertained without thinking it out.

Individuals who are cut out to be vets have an innate love and respect for animals. A dog attack would probably not invoke a 'fear of dogs' as that person would already understand 'pack mentality' and would have understood the attack and probably could have mitigated it.  It's like thinking that Steve Irwin would have a fear of reptiles after getting bit by a monitor lizard.  

I think this pretty much sums it up.  An aspiring vet would have this attitude to begin with.
"You do not lose your nature just because someone harms you."
1331594958_Snakeandman.jpg.2d64b781d3de5f5f8532189e273d54f7.jpg

46 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

Soi dogs et al:  I always TALK to every dog I meet, anywhere.  Dogs consider the area they live in as THEIR territory.  Outside my fenced in area, I have 4 soi dogs to deal with daily.  I always greet them, " Hello puppy, how is your day - etc" with a friendly voice. When I first came to live here, they barked. Now they might sniff me every now and then as I →WALK, NEVER RUN or walk fast←, that is a threat to the dogs. most of the time they stay laying on the soi after a quick look see.

yep, i like your way.

If everyone did like you do, there would be no aggressive dogs to worry about.

Just few days ago, at night, i saw a local guy terrorizing a soi dog throwing stones at it for quite a few minutes, while the poor animal was trying to look for shelter.

A mistreated dog will become an aggressive one, i guess.

2 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

Funny how they don't mention Nai Yang as being the beach in this article here.... oops..... did i mention the name of the beach ????

From the link:

she had set off on an early morning run along the stunning golden sands of Nai Yang

Problem would be so easy to fix, send of some RTP officers with their guns to have an early morning run. I'll tip them 100 Bahts per dog head they bring back. I am not kidding, but I am afraid there isn't any RTP officer prepared to break a sweat..

4 hours ago, YetAnother said:

packs of stray dogs on a popular beach...; these are the kinds of stories that affect tourism and thailand's reputation, not the usual drivel cited by so many thai officials who havent the slightest clue what thailand's international reputation is

Would the authorities now start to grovel to the NZ government?

Better do something, those pesky white farang are worth to cultivate 

1 hour ago, koratkarlos said:

I still have the plan to build a misting/spray system on my scooter...just a 12V waterpump from a carwasher and spray water/chili to them from the sides...

The pump i've got already but they haven't attacked me since a year...

Archived