British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

9 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

It all states quite clearly what will be required on the UK Government website what will be required after 1st January 2019 when no more letters are issued. The money MUST then be in a Thai bank account either 800k lump sum or 65k a month income proved by a letter from your THAI BANK. The money MUST come into Thailand

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/british-embassy-bangkok-to-stop-certification-of-income-letters

Is there an upcoming change in policy from Thai Immigration, as far as I know you have never been able to prove your monthly income directly to immigration without the income letter ?? Have the BE made this announcement early before an immigration policy change has been announced? Or do they not understand the process?

If this is true it could make things easier for a lot of people, but we need details how many months of income must you show, 3 or 12 if its 12 then there has not been enough notice given to prepare for this, many don't bring in that much each month or withdraw by other means eg using foreign ATM. If like the BE you just need to show 3 months Thai bank statements with 40/65K income then there is just about enough time to prepare that, but if they need the last 12 months this could be a problem.

Edited by alphason
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

It all states quite clearly on the UK Government website what will be required after 1st January 2019 when no more letters are issued. The money MUST then be in a Thai bank account either 800k lump sum or 65k a month income proved by a letter from your THAI BANK. The money MUST come into Thailand. The UK haven't simply just done this without the agreement of the Thai authorities. All this talk of finding ways around and proving income, is frankly laughable. It's clear what will be required.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/british-embassy-bangkok-to-stop-certification-of-income-letters

10 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Not wrong. It is correct. Embassy letters are good for 6 months.

You misunderstood. It is wrong that a letter from an embassy lasts for 6 months whereas a letter from my bank lasts one day. That is wrong. 

Just now, Esso49 said:

Well you just toddle of to any Thai immigration office and tell them what they should be accepting as proof of available funds for an extension because that is what the British Embassy said !!!  Should work wonders and they just might remind you that it is Thai immigration that sets the rules not the BE  ????   As I and Smedly keep telling everyone it requires definitive information from the Thai authorities as to whether the current requirements are still applicable or whether there has been some update to those requirements. that we need to be aware of.  If not then it is the BE making the decision. 

Are you stupid to think this has just been put out on a whim without the UK speaking with Thailand? The requirements are there on the government website. I have no idea what other information you need? It's easy enough to understand. Money needs to come into a Thai bank account. That's it.

I currently use the British Embassy for my annual POI letter so now that's stopped has anyone any experience with the bank letter from a Kasikorn account. 

If I were to deposit 1 million baht say 4 months prior to my visa renewal, then when the bank letter is required 800k has been seasoned for the required 3 months. 

Then after gaining my visa extension I use that account for my monthly expenses so slowly drain the account, then top it up again 4 months prior to next year's visa extension, and continue yearly doing that.... 

2 questions, 

1) is this method acceptable to the Thai immigration for my POI. 

2) is there any particular type of Kasikorn account required for them to issue a bank letter for proof of income, I think I've just got a Kasikorn current account with Internet access. 

Thank you for your help much appreciated... 

2 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Are you stupid to think this has just been put out on a whim without the UK speaking with Thailand? The requirements are there on the government website. I have no idea what other information you need? It's easy enough to understand. Money needs to come into a Thai bank account. That's it. 

That is information from the BE, I don't think this currently matches with what Thai immigration wants.

If Thai immigration will accept a Thai bank book showing the funds coming in monthly as the BE suggest, for the last 3 or 12 months (??) then we all understand, at the moment we don't know. Thai immigration are the ones that say if its acceptable or not, not the BE.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, garyk said:

This is just the beginning, US embassy is next if not already. Then you will see land seizures! IMO the laws will then start getting really tough. 

We ain't seen nothing yet!

Land seizures, from farangs, really!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Stupid no, intelligent yes,  along with many others who, understand things much better than yourself perhaps and would rather address these issue then just attempting to troll and insult another TV member

Edited by Esso49
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

It all states quite clearly what will be required on the UK Government website what will be required after 1st January 2019 when no more letters are issued. The money MUST then be in a Thai bank account either 800k lump sum or 65k a month income proved by a letter from your THAI BANK. The money MUST come into Thailand

How do you prove that using an ATM ? My state pension provider in Germany would transfer money to Thailand but my company pension provider would only transfer money to a German bank. When I asked some time ago if my German bank could automatically transfer my income to a Thai bank each month they seemed reluctant ''We wouldn't advise this method''. Transferwise would be an option but I would have to make a transaction every month.

3 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Strange that a married man needs to show he has less money than a single man, considering the fact he has a wife to support and possibly children?

Go back to the earlier comments on this thread. Said already and responded to by others

17 hours ago, Esso49 said:

But have they really ?   It was always required that a certified letter in support of monthly income was provided.    Is't it the fact of the matter that maybe, just may be the Thais have not changed the rules but rather insisted that they are followed by requiring that the income letter is indeed certified something that perhaps BE never did ? By us sending letters from our pension providers in support of the income letter, was convenient, but if as it has been claimed, these were never checked on, then how in all honesty could they (BE) have ever provided a certified letter ?

When I went for PR some 30 years ago, a certified letter was needed that I had never been a bad boy in the UK with a Police record.  BE made no checks  "have you ever been in trouble with the police" I was asked. No OK. Letter certified and given to me.

They are worse than that, they are useless, incompetent, ineffective morons.  Well done the Brits, thanks for your support for your Citizens. So now we have to deposit our hard earned money into an incompetent Thai banking system, aided by our own Embassy.  I am beyone angry 

Absolutely! A simple process of verifying a pension from the UK! British Consulate and Embassy services do the tiniest amount of work for British Citizens in Thailand ! In fact the only reason for being here is for image and nice photographs and the pretense of creating good relations and business!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

How do you prove that using an ATM ? My state pension provider in Germany would transfer money to Thailand but my company pension provider would only transfer money to a German bank. When I asked some time ago if my German bank could automatically transfer my income to a Thai bank each month they seemed reluctant ''We wouldn't advise this method''. Transferwise would be an option but I would have to make a transaction every month.

Your bank account in Thailand should show funds of 65K being transferred in. Presumably, if the amount varies, they will average over 12 months (but really, this needs to be clarified as many, including myself, transfer funds at a different rate every month depending on requirements so some months will be more and some less)

the bank book should show the payments into your account and presumably (again, presuming as don't know yet) the bank can provide a letter confirming

many people (including myself) use a facility called transferwise (or something similar) which is a cheaper way of transferring funds and done from a local bank to their banking facility and then they transfer direct to your local account). Apart from cheaper fees and a better FX rate, they also provide you with a PDF of your transaction which should make things easier to keep tabs on and you don't need to deal with your local bank at all

• Like 1

17 hours ago, colinneil said:

British embassy are a total waste of space.

I always use a non immigrant O, less hassle 12 month visa can be issued overseas at Thai embassies , but you have to do a border run every three months, I never had to show funds for this when applied for in NZ and just showed my child's passport and marriages to Thai cert.

The outcome of this is going to result in more corruption at immigration, last time I went to see them a person spoke to my wife and told her I should get a retirement visa and only speak to her if I wanted one and a fee of 17k was touted.

I have funds don't need the help, but many I know struggle sometimes and the witch who died a few years ago will be back in business.

I do not know why this government is so bent on making things so difficult for genuine expats, LOS is not the same as it used to be, going down hill fast and many people going to other places now to retire.

Soon it will just be Chinese tourists stampeding through the towns and dumping butts on the beaches.

Chiang Mai is just packed with them now and not nice, I lived there two years but would not now.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mercman24 said:

maybe a scam in the Aussie scenario, but the Brit Embassy wants 3 months bank copies of my statements as to my pension income,

Are you sure? I always send 12 months statements, via email, from the last letter to the month before I need the next. Please show me where you got that information. Ta!

8 minutes ago, roath said:

As others have posted, it is likely that there are other factors at play behind the scenes

The main issue is clarification from Immigration as to what they will accept as proof.

Equally, a change from 65,000 income per month (which funds don't have to be in Thailand) to proof of funds IN Thailand is quite a difference in interpretation (or re-defining more likely) of the current regulations. Possibly, they may want to see the funds coming to Thailand so many people will need an income in excess of 65K a month to cover both their Thailand requirements AND any home country expenses (property and/or family maintenance etc.) so definitely a shift in the goalposts if that is the case.

If its just a BE change then why isn't the BE just asking for proof of the 40/65K coming into Thailand rather than overseas by showing a Thai bank book in order to issue the letter as before. I have always had to send the BE 3 months of UK bank statements anyway, so just change that to Thai only bank statements.

It would be a lot easier if we can just show the Thai bank book to immigration and cut out the BE involvement - but we need detail and confirmation from Thai immigration.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

The embassy letter reflects income, the bank letter reflects savings, there's a big difference.

That may be one interpretation but my immigration office wants to see movement within the account. They want to see your ordinary account bank book to confirm you just do not have required funds in a fixed account. 

1 minute ago, eggers said:

So much for taking care of British citizens needs, whilst in foreign countries!! Useless!!

17 hours ago, Pilotman said:

They are worse than that, they are useless, incompetent, ineffective morons.  Well done the Brits, thanks for your support for your Citizens. So now we have to deposit our hard earned money into an incompetent Thai banking system, aided by our own Embassy.  I am beyone angry 

Read the original post.. The Brit Embassy cannot varify peopkes income.. Too many using fake bank statements etc.. If you cant fufill the requirement or do not have funds go home.. 

• Like 1

Questions:

Is it possible to get the income letter 6 months before the Retirement is due, by doing it on 18 December?

As someone suggested, is it possible to use the 800k as your current account and spend it all year until 3 months before your due date?

If you decide to quit the place, how easy is it to take out your 800? They are happy to take it but not to let go.

If you do transfer 800'000 to here, which is the best interest-bearing account? Is it taxed?

Eddy