'Winter' Flu+ Jabs. Take Them All?

SheungWan

In addition to the flu jab this year, I was offered a pneumonia jab and a shingles jab. I took the pneumonia jab and not the shingles jab. I have just had them done in the UK prior to coming out to Thailand. The question I want to ask is whether friends who are based in Thailand should also consider taking the additional shots. (The only criteria for the nurse asking me whether I wanted the jabs, was one of age, not any individual symptoms)

Although Thailand does not have the latest shingles vaccine would highly recommend getting it as quite effective (51%) at preventing a very painful condition - when the new version becomes available will probably also want to get that (90% effective).  

Pneumonia is the PPV13 and PPSV23 shots.  And highly recommended over age 65 (or children) and some with medical conditions.  It is a lifetime shot but if never had believe they recommend start with PPV13 (designed for children) and follow a year later with PPSV23 for us old folks (protects against more types).  

Winter is not the flu season in Thailand but getting shot is not a bad idea as there are many tourists who could have.  

Archived