"Easy Ride" for pensioners in Thailand now over, says Pattaya Radio

webfact

12 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Did you actually read the statement from the Brits?

The decision was made by the British Embassy following a meeting with immigration in May in which they confirmed that they expect the embassy to verify all sources of income of British Nationals requesting an income letter.  Consular officers are not verification experts and therefore cannot fulfil (sic) this requirement. We also cannot verify income from every income source in every country of the world. Thai Immigration is able to verify the income in a Thai bank account, therefore British Nationals should show evidence of minimum funds for their visa type by showing a Thai bank statement and/or bank book. 

You know as well as I do when you walk into the US embassy, raise your right hand to swear to that affidavit there is no consular official checking on the validity of what you are swearing to.

So it’s really only a matter of time until they start requiring this for all.

I’m just pretty sure they went after the Brits first just because they are the most numerous.

So if you choose to live some fantasy bubble fine. I just hope you are doing the money in the bank thing

Your wrote your usual anti stuff, " All that being said. Thailand is Thailand. They got millions of laws and regulation on the books, 80% are ignored. Trouble this one, it affects peoples lives, so if it is the shape of things to come...Good Luck"

This thread is about a change in the UK embassy procedure nothing to do with Thais so you are in error. 

Actually the Canadians are the most numerous. 

14 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Did you actually read the statement from the Brits?

The decision was made by the British Embassy following a meeting with immigration in May in which they confirmed that they expect the embassy to verify all sources of income of British Nationals requesting an income letter.  Consular officers are not verification experts and therefore cannot fulfil (sic) this requirement. We also cannot verify income from every income source in every country of the world. Thai Immigration is able to verify the income in a Thai bank account, therefore British Nationals should show evidence of minimum funds for their visa type by showing a Thai bank statement and/or bank book. 

You know as well as I do when you walk into the US embassy, raise your right hand to swear to that affidavit there is no consular official checking on the validity of what you are swearing to.

So it’s really only a matter of time until they start requiring this for all.

I’m just pretty sure they went after the Brits first just because they are the most numerous.

So if you choose to live some fantasy bubble fine. I just hope you are doing the money in the bank thing

I suspect THIS is what concerns many AU US CAN UK retirees.

Being 'required' to prove, via Thai banking accounts, overseas transfers averaging 65k or 40kB/month.

The 'proof' may be difficult to produce.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Your wrote your usual anti stuff, " All that being said. Thailand is Thailand. They got millions of laws and regulation on the books, 80% are ignored. Trouble this one, it affects peoples lives, so if it is the shape of things to come...Good Luck"

This thread is about a change in the UK embassy procedure nothing to do with Thais so you are in error. 

You live in a fantasy land my man

6 hours ago, sambum said:

I can see that you are new on here but it would help you tremendously to read the post properly before commenting.

Simple really.

Yes Im a new to joining in on the comments people make on this site. But i have read the post and even copied direct from the Govt website the details for you all to see.

By the way i have been looking at this site for 18 months...so not wet behind my ears.

Just decided to join in with this discussion as most people on here are up in arms about what is happening.

Cant see the problem really...why travel half way across the world to live counting the bht. 

During my year living in Bkk i encounted many many retirees moaning about currency exchange dwindling their money.

And about having to now go rent a place for 3000 bht a month to survive.

I was just making my comments known in this free world of communication that if you dont have the money why stay there.

I enjoyed Thailand whilst living there but find it expensive apart from housing to rent and transport.

Food and drink expensive compared to the UK.

And looking back on a lot of comments over the last 18 months on here re cost of living in Thailand

I have not said anything different that many others have said about it being expensive now.

As i also said...if you cant abide by the financial rules laid down by the Govt of the land you choose to live then seems maybe you must not be contributing to the economy of the country.

They are now more interested in having tourists that come spend lots of money for 2 weeks or a month then go. 

Not people that decide to retire with little or no finances to go to the shopping malls and spend thousands of bht every week or month.

And please dont reply by saying retirees do contribute by keeping a thai wife and her brood of kids from a thai husband and look after her family.

Thats not helping the economy...thats just the retiree throwing his money away.

Edited by Teee
Added a word
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Teee said:

Yes Im a new to joining in on the comments people make on this site. But i have read the post and even copied direct from the Govt website the details for you all to see.

By the way i have been looking at this site for 18 months...so not wet behind my ears.

Just decided to join in with this discussion as most people on here are up in arms about what is happening.

Cant see the problem really...why travel half way across the world to live counting the bht. 

During my year living in Bkk i encounted many many retirees moaning about currency exchange dwindling their money.

I was just making my comments known in this free world of communication that if you dont have the money why stay there.

I enjoyed Thailand whilst living there but find it expensive apart from housing to rent and transport.

And looking back on a lot of comments over the last 18 months on here re cost of living in Thailand

I have not said anything that others have said.

As i also said...if you cant abide by the financial rules laid down by the Govt of the land you choose to live then seems maybe you must not be contributing to the economy of the country.

They are now more interested in having tourists that come spend lots of money for 2 weeks or a month then go. 

Not people that decide to retire with little or no finances to go to the shopping malls and spend thousands of bht every week or month.

And please dont reply by saying retirees do contribute by keeping a thai wife and her brood of kids from a thai husband and look after her family.

Nothing in your post about the actual TOPIC. Absolutely NOTHING. I don't care if you're new or old but just stating the obvious. 

The actual topic is about an issue with embassies issuing income letters. Specifically the British. 
There has been no change in Thai immigration options for retirement extensions. It's not a topic about morality or preaching to people. It's about technical issues about retirement extensions at Thai immigration.

• Like 2

I have not said anything different that many others have said about it being expensive now.

"And please dont reply by saying retirees do contribute by keeping a thai wife and her brood of kids from a thai husband and look after her family.

Thats not helping the economy...thats just the retiree throwing his money away."

Ain't that the truth!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You know you might like to check your facts before you start typing!

Thailand Expats.jpeg

4 minutes ago, blackhorse said:
23 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:
989172146_ThailandExpats.jpeg.5cbd3bf4f2a43150981ca401c50d9089.jpeg

Oz doesn't even get a mention now that's surprising

I think the Canadians, Swedish, Australians etc probably go into the ‘Others’ bucket

• Like 1

IMHO I think what the Brits have done is what they normally do.  They have gone back in time and put on their black robes and white wigs and have screwed their own people with no attempt to find a viable solution.  By doping what they have done they have put retirees from all other countries using the Income Affidavit system in jeopardy.  By them stating that they cannot meet the immigration requirements they are raising the issue so that immigration could be very critical of the system in use by other Embassies. Remember the new immigration chief is 'Big Joke".

I use to have to work with CAA (Civil Airline Authorities) worldwide and cringed went I walked in an office in a foreign country like Burma that was run by a Brit expat.

27 minutes ago, blackhorse said:
46 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:
989172146_ThailandExpats.jpeg.5cbd3bf4f2a43150981ca401c50d9089.jpeg

Oz doesn't even get a mention now that's surprising

It always seems as if there are more Aussies than there actually are. Not just in Thailand. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fred345 said:

It always seems as if there are more Aussies than there actually are. Not just in Thailand. 

You must frequent too many female sheep auctions! :sorry:  Not really!

4 hours ago, Teee said:

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Nothing in your post about the actual TOPIC. Absolutely NOTHING. I don't care if you're new or old but just stating the obvious. 

The actual topic is about an issue with embassies issuing income letters. Specifically the British. 
There has been no change in Thai immigration options for retirement extensions. It's not a topic about morality or preaching to people. It's about technical issues about retirement extensions at Thai immigration.

Maybe you should read back on the comments re the TOPIC i have made including a post direct from the UK Govt web site.

And i have made certain comments following on from others being upset that this has happened. If its a big concern that people can not prove that they have 800000 bht in the bank to obtain the Visa...because the easy option of going to the Embassy to obtain a Letter (not correctly verifying income) has been taken away...then maybe leave and go somewhere else.

As i also said...the Thai Govt i think has decided that they do not want people living in there country on a retirement visa. Hence the change in what is required re money.

They are only interested in tourists who come and spend lots of money.

The last paragraph you should read again and again...eventally you will understand what is happening.

13 minutes ago, Teee said:

Maybe you should read back on the comments re the TOPIC i have made including a post direct from the UK Govt web site.

And i have made certain comments following on from others being upset that this has happened. If its a big concern that people can not prove that they have 800000 bht in the bank to obtain the Visa...because the easy option of going to the Embassy to obtain a Letter (not correctly verifying income) has been taken away...then maybe leave and go somewhere else.

As i also said...the Thai Govt i think has decided that they do not want people living in there country on a retirement visa. Hence the change in what is required re money.

They are only interested in tourists who come and spend lots of money.

The last paragraph you should read again and again...eventally you will understand what is happening.

Where has the Thai government indicated they do not want foreign retirees residing in Thailand? If the Thais no longer wanted foreign retirees they would just cancel issuing visas for retirement purposes. All that has happened is the Thai's are seeking verifiable compliance to visa T&Cs, not surprising is it, so why all the angst?

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Where has the Thai government indicated they do not want foreign retirees residing in Thailand? If the Thais no longer wanted foreign retirees they would just cancel issuing visas for retirement purposes. 

I guess if they truly wanted them here they could buy a house and have very easy Visa requirements.

I actually think in some ways now they do not want foreigners/Falang residing here much.

Canceling Visa's would make them look discriminatory to other countries.

I still like it here but even in the 10 years I have been I see a disdain more and more for Falang.

I think the Thai opinion use to be Falang:  happy people with money who love Thailand.

Now: annoying complainers who are cheap and contribute little.

I think the respect and appreciation for Falang being here is at a low level.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I still like it here but even in the 10 years I have been I see a disdain more and more for Falang.

I think the Thai opinion use to be Falang:  happy people with money who love Thailand.

You mean the change (in Thai opinion) came with the influx in numbers of the whining Brits bkk6060..................:coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I don't want an easy ride.  I just want to know the proper process that protects my financial interests and is not too burdensome. 

They all say that. And then they go for what they think is the cheapest process anyway.

Edited by SheungWan

13 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

They all say that. And then they go for what they think is the cheapest process anyway.

People do tend to act in their self interest but I don't really get your point in the context of the issues here.

Thai immigration rules are clear. 

Applicants choose which option to use that makes the most sense for them, and then apply with that option. 

That seems normal.

Maybe you're talking about something else, like corruption via visa agents.

That's a separate issue from embassy letters.

53 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I guess if they truly wanted them here they could buy a house and have very easy Visa requirements.

I actually think in some ways now they do not want foreigners/Falang residing here much.

Canceling Visa's would make them look discriminatory to other countries.

I think the respect and appreciation for Falang being here is at a low level.

If you look at Western country retirement visa requirements they are not inexpensive from a capital / investment requirement, plus must have good private health cover. By comparison Thai visa T&C's are insignificant. Below I have given Australian T&C's as an example. Just checked retirement visas no longer available, but can obtain an investment visa valid for four years retirement. Income of AUD65k p.a., plus capital investment of AUD500k if living in a city, plus medical insurance.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/405-

I do agree that in general respect for Westerners has reduced. When we last lived in Thailand my Thai wife was very unimpressed with street level harassment by Westerners.

Bit  off topic, but who cares. At Phuket I. yesterday, a man was talking to the bloke you first come across when you get there,skinny little bloke, always laughing,joking and calling blokes darling. A farang was there with his Thai wife wanting to get a marriage retirement visa ,400.000 required, instead if the single mans visa he had,800.000 required. The IM laughed and told everybody within ear shot that when he marry he need 800.000 not 400.000, got a good laugh from all. ( and so true). This is one requirement that needs changing and with the IO making that comment, where there is smoke there is probably fire. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Teee said:

You sound like a member of our T Team who got a new handle to gloat   :thumbsup:.   Understandable given what our t teams job is.

For those who have the cash, the real problem is how long you have to have it in a thai bank account and in Baht. Always a worry based on past history. 

Lets just hope that the 'plans' work out. Right now Chiang Mai has a glut of hotels, and condos,  and the Chinese arrivals seem to have had a hiccup. Ooops. If you don't want westerners or Indians then you are  putting eggs in one basket. Always a risk in that. 

As for me, 800K will be a risk, but not a problem. However it will make me look at all other options, just in case they decide to do something else. And that is how you lose people from the the group you supposedly want to keep.    

12 hours ago, richiejom said:

Surely they could use some sort of random selection verification method so they don't have to check everyones...this would serve Thai Immigration and embassy

This would deter fakers...easy...but common sense never prevails

I doubt that the B/Embassy would be open to sensible comments

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

You sound like a member of our T Team who got a new handle to gloat   :thumbsup:.   Understandable given what our t teams job is.

For those who have the cash, the real problem is how long you have to have it in a thai bank account and in Baht. Always a worry based on past history. 

Lets just hope that the 'plans' work out. Right now Chiang Mai has a glut of hotels, and condos,  and the Chinese arrivals seem to have had a hiccup. Ooops. If you don't want westerners or Indians then you are  putting eggs in one basket. Always a risk in that. 

As for me, 800K will be a risk, but not a problem. However it will make me look at all other options, just in case they decide to do something else. And that is how you lose people from the the group you supposedly want to keep.    

It would be more understandable if I knew what a T Team is?  And you DO NOT have to have your 800k in BAHT, it can be the equivalent in a Foreign Currency Account in GBP or USD or EURO.

59 minutes ago, cleverman said:

Bit  off topic, but who cares. At Phuket I. yesterday, a man was talking to the bloke you first come across when you get there,skinny little bloke, always laughing,joking and calling blokes darling. A farang was there with his Thai wife wanting to get a marriage retirement visa ,400.000 required, instead if the single mans visa he had,800.000 required. The IM laughed and told everybody within ear shot that when he marry he need 800.000 not 400.000, got a good laugh from all. ( and so true). This is one requirement that needs changing and with the IO making that comment, where there is smoke there is probably fire. 

Well I have to say that what the IM said is logical . If married you need a lot more to be able to support your family as opposed to a single guy who only has to take care of himself , so single guy needs 400k and married needs 800k . But logic is thin on the ground in LOS .

• Like 1