Will ED Visa be denied after tourist visa has been denied?

46 minutes ago, 3stan said:

I've been in Thailand for 15 years now..and i have yet to meet someone who obtained an ed visa to study Chinese, Russian..or any other language than Thai.

There are many schools offering other language studies. It would mostly be Thai's attending them but I am aware of people getting a non-ed visa and extensions for attending them.

2 hours ago, 3stan said:

Really? I've been in Thailand for 15 years now..and i have yet to meet someone who obtained an ed visa to study Chinese, Russian..or any other language than Thai. Have you?

Yes - I helped one with his English homework.  And he was in school with some folks working on their 3rd Language.  Learning something other than Thai is also helpful when dealing with IOs who want to "test" students (as punishment for not using agents).  Cooking is another option, as are Muay Thai and self-defense (the latter being offered by ex-military in Chaing Mai).

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Yes - I helped one with his English homework.  And he was in school with some folks working on their 3rd Language.  Learning something other than Thai is also helpful when dealing with IOs who want to "test" students (as punishment for not using agents).  Cooking is another option, as are Muay Thai and self-defense (the latter being offered by ex-military in Chaing Mai).

I wonder if any of the Thai immigration officials are Muay Thai experts who might want to test your skills after six months of training at that Muay Thai training center. Could be painful!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Muay Thai and self-defense (the latter being offered by ex-military in Chaing Mai).

I've wondered about this one, it would be a useful skill, and it only meets on weekends, a major plus if you'd like to have a life outside of school.

But I wasn't impressed with the website. I've inquired for feedback on this school but haven't gotten any.

Frankly I'm going to need to hear some success stories before I go dropping 33,000 baht...

21 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I wonder if any of the Thai immigration officials are Muay Thai experts who might want to test your skills after six months of training at that Muay Thai training center. Could be painful!

Non-verbal spot check at immigration! If you deflect the roundhouse kick to your head, 3 month stamp no worries. If not, they wheel you out on a gurney with a 7-day visa attached to your big toe ????

• Like 1

16 hours ago, YogaVeg said:
19 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Muay Thai and self-defense (the latter being offered by ex-military in Chaing Mai).

I've wondered about this one, it would be a useful skill, and it only meets on weekends, a major plus if you'd like to have a life outside of school.

But I wasn't impressed with the website. I've inquired for feedback on this school but haven't gotten any.

Frankly I'm going to need to hear some success stories before I go dropping 33,000 baht...

I think a big selling-point, is that your school-instructors out-rank the IOs who are approving your extensions.  And figure that at most schools, you could have some "extra" agent-type fees every 3 mo for extensions, which are likely included in the "self defense" package.

On 10/12/2018 at 9:50 AM, Formaleins said:

This is one of the reasons we are seeing the continuing tightening of the visa and visa extension rules - People are basically abusing / fiddling their way to get a visa! I agree it is not easy to stay here long term if you are under 50 and not married to a Thai, but the continuing abuse of the ED visa is eventually going to ruin it for the people who genuinely need it.

The visa and permission to stay has been abused for years, often by the border run brigade,so over the years the Thais have cracked down on it, so people move on and find a new way to abuse the system.

There are a number of genuine routes that you can go down for long term stay - Continuous ED Visas and tourist visas is NOT one of them. All that will happen in the end is it will make life even worse for those people who try to live here and follow the rules. You have to ask yourself WHY am I forced to change my passport to visit a country? Well, because you are abusing the rules and now have a big stamp in your passport to verify that!

Yes OP you bad bad man for not being over the hill and spending all your money in Thailand ! If it wasn't for people like the op we all know any one living here on a pension is a cheap Charlie because they can't afford to spend big money, I am 33 and been living here for 3 years and it's a pain in the a s s getting a visa even tho I spend over 1million bhat a year here and send £2000 a month minimum from my English account to my Thai account i spend just as much money as a 50yr old would in this country so why can't I get a 1 year visa by just showing income in my account ? I also someone was comparing it to getting a visa for England there is a big difference the Thai government won't give you a house and benefits like the British government will if you are a immergratin 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, wes360 said:

I also someone was comparing it to getting a visa for England there is a big difference the Thai government won't give you a house and benefits like the British government will if you are a immergratin 

... nor is there a reason for a Brit to move to Thailand because they can get a higher-wage here.  We aren't here to take jobs from the locals for 1/2 the wage they used to get for the same job, leaving the local's lives in the dustbin, as happens the other way around (that would be Cambodians, Burmese, etc - who get special "L" visas from Immigration, which allow this). 

Then consider the "foreign capital spending" factor, which literally "makes Thailand richer" with every pound/dollar etc we bring in.  Contrast to people entering our nations from poorer ones, who "send home" money they earn (whether legally or illegally), making our nations poorer with every paycheck they receive.

Combine the wage-difference factor with the foreign-capital factor, with the no handouts factor, and it is clear there is no sane reason to compare respective immigration policies.

• Thanks 1