Australia seeks to ban schools from expelling gay students

rooster59

Australia seeks to ban schools from expelling gay students

By Lidia Kelly

800x800 (5).jpg

FILE PHOTO: Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison attends a news conference in Canberra, Australia August 24, 2018. REUTERS/David Gray

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Australia aims to ban private or religious schools from expelling students on the basis of their sexuality, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Saturday.

Debate over personal rights is growing ahead of a crucial by-election for Morrison's ruling Liberal-National coalition in the blue-ribbon Sydney seat of Wentworth on Oct. 20.

"I will be taking action to ensure amendments are introduced as soon as practicable to make it clear that no student of a non-state school should be expelled on the basis of their sexuality," Morrison said in a statement.

The statement, which urged parliament to tackle the issue over the next two weeks, follows an offer of support by the largest opposition party, Labour, to repeal legal exemptions that allow religious schools to discriminate.

Archbishop Mark Coleridge, the president of the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference, called this week for equality in school employment and enrolment.

"Once employed or enrolled, people within a Catholic school community are expected to adhere to the school's mission and values," the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper quoted him as saying.

Australia's parliament voted to legalise same-sex marriage in December after a nationwide postal survey returned an overwhelming majority in favour of the unions.

Morrison said the government was working through its responses to the recommendations of a review panel to examine if the change to the law had restricted religious freedom. The recommendations have not been publicly disclosed.

"Our government does not support expulsion of students from religious non-state schools on the basis of their sexuality," he added.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-13

This is already covered in the Anti-Discrimination Act 1984

Sex Discrimination Act 1984

Discrimination on the basis of sex, marital or relationship status, pregnancy or potential pregnancy, breastfeeding, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, and intersex status.

Sexual harassment is also prohibited under this Act.

sex·u·al o·ri·en·ta·tion
noun

1. a person's sexual identity in relation to the gender to which they are attracted; the fact of being heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual.

Why is it legal to ban them in the first place?! Sexual orientation is not something people choose. If you believe in God and that God is the creator of all life then there is only one logical conclusion to be drawn from that - God made them gay. So why would you ban them to begin with?! How Christian!

They got this the wrong way around.  They should ban Religious Schools from having any children!!!

These days there is no place for religion in Schools.  The brainwashing can take place back and the family homes if they want to force their children to believe in any particular religion.  

Hmm.

Well, if I was a gay student I wouldn't want to attend a school that had such unfair discriminatory policies in the first place. But of course students often have no choice on where to attend school as they generally go where their parents send them. Definitely a sad state of affairs when these religious "morality" preachers turn out to be nasty bigots. 

17 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Why is it legal to ban them in the first place?! Sexual orientation is not something people choose. If you believe in God and that God is the creator of all life then there is only one logical conclusion to be drawn from that - God made them gay. So why would you ban them to begin with?! How Christian!

Yes it is a mess,and even this God hates gay people!

Some one is wrong some where.

Personally i could not care less what two people of the same sex get up to,they can beat each other with rhubarb dressed in a frock as far as i am concerned,but i am fed up to the back teeth of it constsntly being in the papers ,gay pride marches etc etc, just get on with your lives quietly and stop telling us how natural it is ,us straight folk dont give a toss. Now sorry if that "offends" but thats the way most of us feel. We dont care. Just get on with your life.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

26 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Personally i could not care less what two people of the same sex get up to,they can beat each other with rhubarb dressed in a frock as far as i am concerned,but i am fed up to the back teeth of it constsntly being in the papers ,gay pride marches etc etc, just get on with your lives quietly and stop telling us how natural it is ,us straight folk dont give a toss. Now sorry if that "offends" but thats the way most of us feel. We dont care. Just get on with your life.

Clearly ‘they’ don’t give a toss about you and your fellow travellers being offended, you poor petals...

If it is good enough for you and your small knobed peers to be offensive then it is good enough for them. 

52 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

They are getting on with their lives and that includes celebrations and pushing for the publicity essential to promoting equality of treatment.

11 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

They are getting on with their lives and that includes celebrations and pushing for the publicity essential to promoting equality of treatment.

Personally, I don't think being gay is a sin, but if such things as sins exist, being prideful most certainly would be. Maybe the greatest sin.

5 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Personally, I don't think being gay is a sin, but if such things as sins exist, being prideful most certainly would be. Maybe the greatest sin.

I'd put rape, murder, intolerance, hate, bigotry, violence, racism, homophobia, and whole host of offences above that. 

20 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I'd put rape, murder, intolerance, hate, bigotry, violence, racism, homophobia, and whole host of offences above that. 

Pride/indifference to other's value, is pretty much the root cause of all those things. 

Greed, hate delusion all stem from pride/self as do all the offences you refer to.

46 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Personally my question is whether homosexuality is a deviance from the (a) norm or not, everyone may have his own answer, self interested or not.

As far as I am concerned the norm is very close to traditional family values.. And I couldn't imagine myself having two dads...

4 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Personally my question is whether homosexuality is a deviance from the (a) norm or not, everyone may have his own answer, self interested or not.

As far as I am concerned the norm is very close to traditional family values.. And I couldn't imagine myself having two dads...

Loaded question you've got.

Liking Haggis is a deviation from the norm of all humanity! It's an ABOMINATION!

(Unless you're Scottish.)

Personally my question is whether homosexuality is a deviance from the (a) norm or not

It's not, insofar as it has existed for as long as man has been recording history.  Were you under the impression that homosexuality is something new?

As far as I am concerned the norm is very close to traditional family values.

The meaning of 'traditional' is entirely arbitrary and no two people define it the same way.   No too long ago, concubines were part of a traditional marriage.  What is it going to take for people to understand that everyone is different and doesn't need to live their lives according to other people's values?

Of course homosexuality has always been with us and many other species on earth. What is relatively modern is the widely accepted concept of gay as an identity group. Appears to have started in Germany before the Nazi Era and a similar early history in England.
For a country like Thailand for example the concept of gay men as opposed to just gay sex is definitely a foreign import. The ladyboy culture in Thailand is much more traditional and not an import.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Pride/indifference to other's value, is pretty much the root cause of all those things. 

Greed, hate delusion all stem from pride/self as do all the offences you refer to.

I'm not sure I fully agree with that.

3 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

As far as I am concerned you are wrong.

God created gays? I for one would like to see his first draft of drawings while he was putting that together

Archived