Top 10 scams in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, chicowoodduck said:

Number 11.....never make a loan to a Thai.....it will end up being a gift.....lol...????????????

You are correct in a way. I made a loan to a Thai, it took 2 years to get it back. But of course there was no interest.:crazy:

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

11. Lending money to other farangs, despite knowing them for quite a while.

Some of them have no morals at all, and are prepared to throw away what friendship existed, for the sake of a rather minimal sum of money in real terms. 

Sadly, in my experience even relatives will do this.  Don't have to have friends to be ripped off.

4 hours ago, certacito said:

"Taxis from the airport are really expensive when compared to taxi prices almost anywhere in the world This doesn’t apply to Bangkok, just to Phuket."

Maybe the writer should check his "facts" before he writes.

https://www.priceoftravel.com/555/world-taxi-prices-what-a-3-kilometer-ride-costs-in-72-big-cities/

"If there are no tourist police around demand that you are able to contact your local consulate." - Why? Consular and Embassy staff are not there to help sort out matters like this, their advice would be to go to the police. Painfully bad advice the writer is giving.

"(remember Thailand is the third most dangerous place in the world for driving on the roads)" - Actually it has the highest rate of fatalities per 100k people per year. (More poor research on the writer's part).

"Do you have an international drivers license covering the riding of motorbikes" - There is no such thing, there is an international driving permit that must be linked to a valid licence.

"Does you insurance cover an accident on a motorbike in Thailand? Motorbikes do happen, sadly quite frequently," - I think the writer meant, Does your insurance cover an accident on a motorbike in Thailand? Motorbike accidents do happen. Just a simple case of poor writing and even worse proofreading.

I stopped reading the article at this point, poor advice, incorrect information and badly written,

My International Driving Permit, linked to my HGV + Motorcycle license, is stamped for cars, trucks, semis, and motorcycles. Perhaps that's what the writer meant. 

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Ha! I am not worried about scams as I am way too smart for them.

As soon as my cash from helping that Nigerian General arrives, I'll teach those scammers a thing or two...

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

My dear Samui Bodoh I'm afraid you are not aware your General has died suddenly, for I just received an email from his widow telling me that it was impossible to withdraw the twenty million dollars of the General because his money was not declared in Nigeria. After all her precise and logical explanations I have just sent her all my bank details so she will be able to withdraw the money in my name and we will share ten million each of us, otherwise the money would be lost.
I hope I am not double-crossing you, sorry but no one would miss such an unexpected opportunity. :tongue:

3 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Number 11.....never make a loan to a Thai.....it will end up being a gift.....lol...????????????

but that would also apply to loans to "friends" in the USA/ Europe/ Australia - be prepared to write off the money and the friendship.  

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Taxis from the airport are really expensive when compared to taxi prices almost anywhere in the world This doesn’t apply to Bangkok, just to Phuket."

Not expensive in Bkk, another error.

Reading comprehension issues? 

3 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I am all for supporting our fellow Farang writers, but whoever they are, they should consider putting in more effort to their writing to get facts correct, to make it interesting and to write well. 

The amateurish nature of the writing is a massive turnoff. 

They are not writers, they are content providers for SEO, re jigging old articles. This is the new tbaivisa. Welcome. 

5 hours ago, Borzandy said:

You're the really best newbee we have ever heard.

Have you ever lived in another country except Thailand and your home?  I guess not.

I would say there are less scams in Thailand than in many other countries. It seems that you never taken a taxi in your life either. Because taxis here are very much cheaper than most countries.

5 hours ago, Wallander4 said:

Allow me to add TRUE Vision and their theft of costumers deposit when you try to cancel their lousy subscription

It's been five years, but I still harbor a grudge for True Crap's theft of my money.  And so I continue to avoid this company at any cost and badmouth it at any opportunity.

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Ha! I am not worried about scams as I am way too smart for them.

As soon as my cash from helping that Nigerian General arrives, I'll teach those scammers a thing or two...

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

..i gave mine to that poor widow with 25 terminal diseases.

7 hours ago, certacito said:

Meaning ?

(I have lived here longer than the author of that terrible article)

You'r really looking for something or someone to nag about, do you?

I enjoyed reading that article and those few minor mistakes didn't bother me at all.

8 hours ago, car720 said:

I don't have any friends because I refuse to lend money to anyone.  :cheesy:

Haha. If your can't get friends without splashing the cash you must be a terrible person! Same applies to a nice Thai girlfriend. I guess you are really just joking (or an awful person). ????????????

Archived