Ford Ranger Everest Transmission Troubles!?

kuma

15 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Should that not be done before they send them out to sell? ie R&D 

Is this really so difficult to understand?

Ford Thailand sent cars to their dealers. After that it appeared some had issues, others not, but the VIN numbers of the cars with issues are known. Now Ford Thailand has warned their dealers that they can sell the cars without issues, but have to stop selling the cars where they know there are issues, see the VIN, until the problems are solved.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Is this really so difficult to understand?

Ford Thailand sent cars to their dealers. After that it appeared some had issues, others not, but the VIN numbers of the cars with issues are known. Now Ford Thailand has warned their dealers that they can sell the cars without issues, but have to stop selling the cars where they know there are issues, see the VIN, until the problems are solved.

After Fords recent  appalling treatment of its Asia Pacific customers I wouldn't trust a single  thing Ford says and the courts agreed with that by slapping them with hefty fines in Australia and Thailand. That's what I understand, lets  see how it pans out and how  much can be swept under the carpet this time.

3 hours ago, gunderhill said:

After Fords recent  appalling treatment of its Asia Pacific customers I wouldn't trust a single  thing Ford says and the courts agreed with that by slapping them with hefty fines in Australia and Thailand. That's what I understand, lets  see how it pans out and how  much can be swept under the carpet this time.

Yes, agree with you here.

3 hours ago, gunderhill said:

It is broadly agreed that Ford went out of their way to treat customers with disdain - and reasonably hefty awards have been granted by courts in Thailand and Australia that I know of to date, and more are pending...including what might be a big one in the US (see link)

http://fordpowershiftlawsuit.com

Here are more updates in Thai only - it seems to relate to the Ranger/Everest tranny trouble - even though the translate says "car". See the bold underlined portion - seems we are now way past "a missing clip" - LOL - there is a number to call as well if you are one of the affected, good luck!

Here is link and rough google translate

https://www.posttoday.com/auto/568062

"Ford" clarification does not suspend car sales. But delay the delivery to check and let customers gradually bring the car with the problem of gear to the car to check the condition at a convenient date .... Continue reading at: https://www.posttoday.com/auto/568062

Ford issued a statement. The news about suspension of sales of the car. The measure is to delay delivery to check. It is a basic measure. To check the availability of the car at every showroom. We will do our best to resolve the problem as soon as possible. The results show that some cars may have welded torque components. The inverter is not suitable for the engine. This may result in the anchor being removed from the torque. Converter Lead to loss of power in both forward and reverse gear. Ford is contacting potential customers by October 19, 2018, so that customers can check in at a convenient time and date.

Ford apologized for the inconvenience. If the customer is concerned. For more information, please contact customer service at 02 686 5899 .... Read more at: https://www.posttoday.com/auto/568062

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2018 at 4:47 AM, JAS21 said:

On FB...I belong to Ford Everest Club Australia ...they really test them there ... Towing those house like things or rock climbing!! I haven't read any complaints about the 10-speed..opinion seems to be positive.

Pity the op couldn't photograph the article and get it transulated on a forum here instead of guess work...

I'll look later to see if any comments on Ford Forums Australia ...need to 'change' my location as Thailand is a banned address with them and I can't do that on my phone ...

Seems like the usual nonsense posted on ThaiVisa by people who don't have much of a clue about anything. Carry on...

Ranger is  still on my buying list, but there paint is the absolute pits, Id  like to know the outcome of this "missing  clip" BS.

Arriving back in Thailand today with my M&S deluxe Christmas  pudding, Jaffa  Cakes and Mince pies................now yer all jealous eh

28 minutes ago, kannot said:

Ranger is  still on my buying list, but there paint is the absolute pits, Id  like to know the outcome of this "missing  clip" BS.

Arriving back in Thailand today with my M&S deluxe Christmas  pudding, Jaffa  Cakes and Mince pies................now yer all jealous eh

No all available in M&S in Pattaya!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to this report the problem affected 1,000 vehicles:

https://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-industry-news/1000-ford-everest-ranger-units-have-problems-with-10-speed-gearbox.html

Roughly 1000 units of Ranger (including the Raptor) and Everest have the faulty component. 

Issues with faulty parts in the auto industry is quite a common occurrence, but thankfully Ford's quality control team reacted quickly and immediately issued an order to stop selling and stop shipping the affected models fitted with the faulty 10-speed gearboxes.

Our source says that customers in Thailand were the most affected given the short shipping times from the factory to the dealerships. These units are being fitted with parts that conform to Ford's specifications.

Export customers were likewise affected. Some of these affected vehicles were sold by Ford Australia (which also acquires their units from Thailand) and had shown the symptoms of the problem. Ford is shipping the proper replacement components by air so as to get the vehicles back on the road as quickly as possible.

I wonder what proportion of total 10 speed units this affects?

Ford Thailand's TQM team called me up yesterday to see if I was happy with my current ride. Told them that I was as happy with the current Ranger as I was with the previous one. I don't have the 10-speed box that's the focus of the current recall but I guess they're on high alert and maybe doing the ring-around just to keep the customer satisfied.

On 11/7/2018 at 11:43 AM, RedCardinal said:

In Thai, but many more reports appearing on Ford Everest Club Thailand FB page of problems with bi-turbos sitting up.  Based on translated comments it looks like one car affected has a VIN outside the recall. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/EverestClubThailand/

Unfortunately, as a general rule one can usually be confident the scale of any admitted problem, when it comes to auto recalls, is usually greater than what is publicly stated.

For sure Toyota is the market leader for reliability, resale, cost of service (I believe). not a huge fan, Nissan Navara more my spec, but you cant contest Toyota are the market leader.

On 11/13/2018 at 9:28 AM, kuma said:

Unfortunately, as a general rule one can usually be confident the scale of any admitted problem, when it comes to auto recalls, is usually greater than what is publicly stated.

For sure Toyota is the market leader for reliability, resale, cost of service (I believe). not a huge fan, Nissan Navara more my spec, but you cant contest Toyota are the market leader.

But when u can't spot the differences between the last model update and the latest update, it gets a bit predictable.

Let me guess, the stick-on badges have been moved around, yes?

17 hours ago, NanLaew said:

But when u can't spot the differences between the last model update and the latest update, it gets a bit predictable.

and they painted those badges a  different colour also????

On 11/14/2018 at 4:31 PM, NanLaew said:

Keep bangin that head.....????

Even the vaunted F Series Super Duty in NA cannot hide from Tranny recalls....

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2018/11/16/ford-recall-explorer-expedition-super-duty/2024045002/

• 7 months later...
On 11/18/2018 at 10:22 PM, kuma said:

Keep bangin that head.....????

Even the vaunted F Series Super Duty in NA cannot hide from Tranny recalls....

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2018/11/16/ford-recall-explorer-expedition-super-duty/2024045002/

Well, more on Ford tranny woes, this an update on the old DPS6 issues, finally coming to light as being more serious than originally admitted (you don't now how to drive!) and also coming out that internally it was well known there was an issue but they pushed them thru anyway.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-knew-focus-fiesta-models-113256519.html

It could be that Ford is over its skis on this one, if it turns into large litigation in the US, at the same time as they cycle turns and auto sales/economy crash - it might be all a bit too much this time around.

Nice dividend but not sure its very safe.......

Article excerpt cut n paste below...its a long story....

Ford knew Focus, Fiesta models had flawed transmission, sold them anyway

Ford Motor Co. knowingly launched two low-priced, fuel-efficient cars with defective transmissions and continued selling the troubled Focus and Fiesta despite thousands of complaints and an avalanche of repairs, a Free Press investigation found. 

The cars, many of which randomly lose power on freeways and have unexpectedly bolted into intersections, were put on sale in 2010-11 as the nation emerged from the Great Recession. At least 1.5 million remain on the road and continue to torment their owners – and Ford. 

The automaker pushed past company lawyers’ early safety questions and a veteran development engineer’s warning that the cars weren’t roadworthy, internal emails and documents show. Ford then declined, after the depth of the problem was obvious, to make an expensive change in the transmission technology.  

FREE PRESS INVESTIGATION: OUT OF GEAR

Instead, the company kept trying to find a fix for the faulty transmission for five years while complaints and costs piled up. In the interim, Ford officials prepared talking points for dealers to tell customers that the cars operated normally when, in fact, internal documents are peppered with safety concerns and descriptions of the defects.

The automaker faces thousands of angry customers, including former loyalists who say they will never buy another Ford; hundreds of millions in repair costs, many times without actually fixing the cars; and litigation so serious the company this spring warned investors of the financial threat posed by defects in what Ford called its DPS6 transmission. 

Apart from the legal risks, “Total quality related spending for DPS6 could reach $3 billion,” read a 2016 internal report that projected the costs through 2020.

In a statement Wednesday to the Free Press, Ford said conversations about "challenges common to innovative new technology" were "normal exchanges." It said many customers were unaccustomed to the feel of the transmission and acknowledged that, "After the new transmission was on the road, other problems developed. We acted quickly and determinedly to investigate the problems. ... While we eventually resolved the quality issues, the solutions were more complex and took longer than we expected. We regret the inconvenience and frustration that caused some consumers." It acknowledged discussion of switching to a different transmission and said it made choices based on what it thought "best for customers." 

Ford Focus recall: Automaker recalls 58,000 vehicles that could get deformed fuel tank

To understand what happened, the Free Press reviewed hundreds of pages of internal documents, emails and court filings from the past decade in which Ford engineers and managers discussed concerns and sought to control damage from the dual-clutch transmission, which enabled the company to tout gas mileage near 40 mpg on the highway. 

The Free Press also analyzed consumer complaints to federal safety officials, finding accounts of 50 previously unreported injuries amid more than 4,300 entries about the unreliable transmissions. No deaths are publicly known to have been linked to the defect.

Ford’s position has consistently been that even if the cars slip out of gear while people are driving and they must coast to the side of the road, the cars don’t pose a safety risk because power steering, brakes, passenger restraints and other functions continue to work. Its statement to the Free Press for this story reiterated that "vehicles in which DPS6 was installed were and remain safe." 

Others believe the cars are dangerous, including thousands of vehicle owners, a leading consumer safety advocate and a longtime former Ford quality engineer who spoke to the Free Press. Federal regulators in 2014 conferred with Ford and declined to launch a formal investigation or order a recall of the transmissions. 

For the rest , see the link

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Welcome back... but I think you need a reminder of the subject matter of the OP.

How's the (whatever you bought) doing anyway?

Yea suppose I am outside the lines, who isn't these days? I started the OP, so took some liberties on veering left - its still about trannies anyway!

My 6AT is doing fine - fingers crossed - 9k+ km now so well on its way!

Archived