Ford Ranger Everest Transmission Troubles!?

kuma

I was pointed to this link with an article in Thai only (and not available to cut and paste).

The translation I received was rough - but perhaps something along the lines of production being halted for a few days in the Thailand plants due to some issues with the new 10AT in the latest Ranger/Everests

Has anyone heard of this or have a link with a description of the issue in English?

Certainly would not be the first time for Ford to have tranny (sic) problems in Thailand ;)_

Cheers

https://www.matichon.co.th/economy/auto/news_1178921

FYI earlier news on settlement ford reached with Focus/Fiesta owners due to tranny troubles:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2018/09/21/thailand-ford-motor-pay-thai-customers-transmission/37885289/

Went to the nearest dealer few days ago reg 2019 focus for the wife...eu model comes fully packed with safety gizmos...anyhow told by salesman they stop making them here and their basically selling only the ranger and Everest...the transmission scandal along with the sky high prices for those cars + poor re sale value vs toyota/isuzu ,service issues etc etc its only a matter of time until they will be out of the market...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you are right they know the bad smell from the focus/fiesta tranny issues was too much to overcome so they exited that portion of the market here, and globally they are getting away from cars.

The Ranger/Everest were getting some good market traction but indeed it will a long uphill climb if it turns out the trannys on them are now also suspect....

I have a 6AT 2.2 and it whistles well, seems they might have screwed that up and the 10AT 2.0 just may not be the same....time will tell (even if its only announced in Thai!)

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Do you Ford take this Transmission Trouble to be your lawful wedded wife ...

From this day forward, as long as you both shall live ?

On FB...I belong to Ford Everest Club Australia ...they really test them there ... Towing those house like things or rock climbing!! I haven't read any complaints about the 10-speed..opinion seems to be positive.

Pity the op couldn't photograph the article and get it transulated on a forum here instead of guess work...

I'll look later to see if any comments on Ford Forums Australia ...need to 'change' my location as Thailand is a banned address with them and I can't do that on my phone ...

6 hours ago, JAS21 said:

On FB...I belong to Ford Everest Club Australia ...they really test them there ... Towing those house like things or rock climbing!! I haven't read any complaints about the 10-speed..opinion seems to be positive.

Pity the op couldn't photograph the article and get it transulated on a forum here instead of guess work...

I'll look later to see if any comments on Ford Forums Australia ...need to 'change' my location as Thailand is a banned address with them and I can't do that on my phone ...

article translated to English by google

screenshot_892.jpg.6e5caab14672b2bad2b6380940c9c520.jpg

26 minutes ago, uwe_rayong said:

Uwe 

Thanks for doing that translation and posting. I asked the girl to do it last night as well. It came out very similar. Not really fully intelligible but I guess the point is they it seems they stopped production due to faulty transmissions and perhaps have a list of VINs for models already shipped that they want dealers to hold on to. 

Not sure what it is with Ford and trannys but this will be a major problem for them if it turns out it is a deep design flaw, not just a simple fix. Their tranny partners sure are having a tough go of it atm. Its not like the tranny is a minor part of the powertrain - it needs to be right!

That is the real standout difference between the Mazdas (now they would be diverging more as they have gone their separate ways) and Ford - Mazda has much better transmission history/performance. The 2.2 paired with a Mazda transmission in a BT50 would be the best overall performing powertrain option of the lot. 

Cheers

MrsJ just read the Thai version. She says it doesn't mention a gearbox fault.

It doesn't say much ... but the buyer needs to confirm that he gets the vin number that was allocated to him....strange

Ford are not saying if there is a problem or not with certain cars...yet

The 'notice' seems to muddy the water somewhat ...

3 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

MrsJ just read the Thai version. She says it doesn't mention a gearbox fault.

It doesn't say much ... but the buyer needs to confirm that he gets the vin number that was allocated to him....strange

Ford are not saying if there is a problem or not with certain cars...yet

The 'notice' seems to muddy the water somewhat ...

Interesting given the translation above states "...Ford ranger and Ford Everest were temporarily suspended due to problems with the 10 speed gearbox" - suspended referring to production and shipment/sales.

Google translate is not perfect, but would be hard to imagine it could spit out a sentence like that as a fluke - if the problem is not related to the gearbox...maybe that term is the issue, some do not know gearbox = transmission...

2 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Saw my first Raptor last week. Parked up on the other side of the road with the bonnet up. And hazard warning lights flashing. Couple of Thais looking inside...

Honest.

No word of a lie.

Looking in the cab - like showing to a friend? or under the hood ie: this is as far as we are going today....?

In the US there was a recall a while back for the 10speed. Something along the lines of it being in a different gear to what the driver thought it was in. So if you put the car into park but it was actually in neutral, and then the car was on a slope, a potentially catastrophic outcome. Hope it isn't that fault since it was known about since spring.

28 minutes ago, ChesneyHawkes said:

In the US there was a recall a while back for the 10speed. Something along the lines of it being in a different gear to what the driver thought it was in. So if you put the car into park but it was actually in neutral, and then the car was on a slope, a potentially catastrophic outcome. Hope it isn't that fault since it was known about since spring.

Chesney, it may indeed be that - but too early to know precisely. What is known is Ford of late has had significant problems with their trannys and have paid out sums to customers in many markets - Thailand and Australia spring to mind off the top of my head - for faulty trannys.

At this point it is proceed with caution given the past. Full disclosure, I have a 2.2 6AT powertrain myself, and it performs well - aside from a lumpy and noisy shift from 2 -> D, which since it is a truck is fine, as long as it does not get worse - fingers crossed.

Someone in The Thai Language kindly supplied this translation ...

Thai Ford advised dealers to temporarily suspend sales and delivery of Ford Ranger / Raptor / Everest cars with 10-speed gearboxes in order to check for certain VINs known to have problems. Cars with no matching VINs are OK to sell and deliver. All other Ford models are OK to sell and deliver. There is nothing unusual in this measure, just a common practice to screen possibly defective cars with known VINs.

Do not be as stupid as me and buy a Ford.

These are some things that have happened with my 3 1/2 year old Ford Ranger 3.2

• manifold broken

• turbo broken

• lock the rear seat broken

• head gasket broken

• cam belt broken

• water pump broken

• air conditioning units broken

• water leakage at the car roof antenna (destroyed ceiling)

• holder interior rear view mirror broken

• side panel driver's seat broken

Ford charged for 9.6 liters of oil but only filled with 7.6 liters of oil.

Ford failed to adjust the engine after replacing cam belt which led to ruined air conditioning.

Ford refuses to compensate me for oil not delivered and broken car. They said that from now on I'm a VIP customer and every time I get to the workshop, the manager will personally take care of me.

Perhaps Thai people listen to such bullshit. Never more a Ford for me. It will be a Toyota instead.

On 10/16/2018 at 10:33 PM, aviadbkk said:

Went to the nearest dealer few days ago reg 2019 focus for the wife...eu model comes fully packed with safety gizmos...anyhow told by salesman they stop making them here and their basically selling only the ranger and Everest...the transmission scandal along with the sky high prices for those cars + poor re sale value vs toyota/isuzu ,service issues etc etc its only a matter of time until they will be out of the market...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ISUZU no problems and good service. Im on my second pickup with them. I just wish they had A settings for me.....seat, wingmirrors, and B settings for she 555555

On 10/17/2018 at 1:11 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Saw my first Raptor last week. Parked up on the other side of the road with the bonnet up. And hazard warning lights flashing. Couple of Thais looking inside...

Honest.

No word of a lie.

Returning from Chiang Rai on Sunday saw a new Toyota Hilux Revo

about to be towed.

Must have been mistaken though as Toyota’s never break down

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

Returning from Chiang Rai on Sunday saw a new Toyota Hilux Revo

about to be towed.

Must have been mistaken though as Toyota’s never break down

I agree, you're right.

Must have run out of diesel. Only explanation possible.

23 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Someone in The Thai Language kindly supplied this translation ...

Thai Ford advised dealers to temporarily suspend sales and delivery of Ford Ranger / Raptor / Everest cars with 10-speed gearboxes in order to check for certain VINs known to have problems. Cars with no matching VINs are OK to sell and deliver. All other Ford models are OK to sell and deliver. There is nothing unusual in this measure, just a common practice to screen possibly defective cars with known VINs.

Should that not be done before they send them out to sell? ie R&D 

10 hours ago, Hans Rayong said:

Do not be as stupid as me and buy a Ford.

These are some things that have happened with my 3 1/2 year old Ford Ranger 3.2

• manifold broken

• turbo broken

• lock the rear seat broken

• head gasket broken

• cam belt broken

• water pump broken

• air conditioning units broken

• water leakage at the car roof antenna (destroyed ceiling)

• holder interior rear view mirror broken

• side panel driver's seat broken

Ford charged for 9.6 liters of oil but only filled with 7.6 liters of oil.

Ford failed to adjust the engine after replacing cam belt which led to ruined air conditioning.

Ford refuses to compensate me for oil not delivered and broken car. They said that from now on I'm a VIP customer and every time I get to the workshop, the manager will personally take care of me.

Perhaps Thai people listen to such bullshit. Never more a Ford for me. It will be a Toyota instead.

On the plus side being a VIP customer entitles you to VIP Day tickets for the Motor Show .....................don't forget to mention it to him!

You seem to certainly had some problems ....

The oil job .. we have the same engine and yes they will charge you for 2*4Ltrs plus 2*1Ltr. if they change the filter and less if they don't.  I always say when booking in ...make sure that you give me the left over oil!! and I get it ...it will maybe come in useful one day but so far I have not needed to top up between changes. 

Our MY15 Everest T+ will be three years old next month ..has done just less than 30K Kms ... only problems crankshaft sensor and rear oil seal leak ... both QA of supplier. I am surprised that I don't see those in your list. I opted for both the extra 2-year warranty and paying up front for service ( I think 5 years ... need to check).

I think Toyota is good and now a close 2nd to the Everest .... I know that I will loose more money if I sell compared to Toyota but I like it so much it might last me out.

3 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Should that not be done before they send them out to sell? ie R&D 

It won't be and R&D issue will it ... else one would expect them all to be like it ... we can only guess the problem at present ...

57 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

On the plus side being a VIP customer entitles you to VIP Day tickets for the Motor Show .....................don't forget to mention it to him!

You seem to certainly had some problems ....

The oil job .. we have the same engine and yes they will charge you for 2*4Ltrs plus 2*1Ltr. if they change the filter and less if they don't.  I always say when booking in ...make sure that you give me the left over oil!! and I get it ...it will maybe come in useful one day but so far I have not needed to top up between changes. 

Our MY15 Everest T+ will be three years old next month ..has done just less than 30K Kms ... only problems crankshaft sensor and rear oil seal leak ... both QA of supplier. I am surprised that I don't see those in your list. I opted for both the extra 2-year warranty and paying up front for service ( I think 5 years ... need to check).

I think Toyota is good and now a close 2nd to the Everest .... I know that I will loose more money if I sell compared to Toyota but I like it so much it might last me out.

I've just mentioned what I know about. They have certainly done many things on the warranty without telling me.

5 minutes ago, Hans Rayong said:

I've just mentioned what I know about. They have certainly done many things on the warranty without telling me.

Those two jobs would require you booking the car in .... would not be done at routine service.

How many 100,000kms have you done ... and I think you will find that your engine has a timing chain and not a belt ... and if that broke !!!

Archived