The best chicken fried steak in Chiang Mai

ramrod711

I stopped at Pun Pun to see John and I am happy to report that he is in good spirits and his operation in no way hampered his conversational skills. While I was there, ok the main reason I was there was for the chicken fried steak. As an old retired over the road trucker I require fried meat once in a while. It was very good, white gravy and all. I have seen other best pizza, burger etc threads but never chicken fried steak, does anyone else know of a source?

Just a few words to say thanks for the kind things said about our Chicken Fried Steak Dinner.

Ramrod, i thought you were kidding when you said it was too much to eat..... Your mommy would bop you on the head....you didn't clean your plate ! ! !  Bit much....we could have given you a doggy bag so you would have had the left overs for later .  Thanks again

10 minutes ago, MrBrad said:

Steak of the Day in Mae Rim Plaza does a pretty good chicken steak served with mashed potatoes or French fries and a salad.

Sounds good, but chicken fried steak is beef, tenderized, battered, breaded, fried and smothered in milk gravy. Traditionally in America it would be served with biscuits, mashed potatoes and in the south, grits. Every truck stop has it on the menu. It's been a long time since I had it, and to tell the truth it's too much food for me anymore.

2 hours ago, Gonzo the Face said:

Just a few words to say thanks for the kind things said about our Chicken Fried Steak Dinner.

Ramrod, i thought you were kidding when you said it was too much to eat..... Your mommy would bop you on the head....you didn't clean your plate ! ! !  Bit much....we could have given you a doggy bag so you would have had the left overs for later .  Thanks again

My apologies to your lovely wife. Please tell her it was delicious and that I'll try to do better next time.

A chicken fried steak made from beef?

I would have been sadly dissappointed for simply being ignorant.

The wife would be disappointed because she doesnt touch beef.

Think I will cook myself a nice sirloin now, I have a chicken breast in the fridge.

1 hour ago, eyecatcher said:

A chicken fried steak made from beef?

I would have been sadly dissappointed for simply being ignorant.

The wife would be disappointed because she doesnt touch beef.

Think I will cook myself a nice sirloin now, I have a chicken breast in the fridge.

I understand the confusion, I think it's called chicken fried because the preparation is the same, breading and frying. I like it and believe me it's popular in the U.S.. Having said that you have to be a carnivore to order it. On the bright side, if my wife and went to Pun Pun I could satisfy my craving and my wife could order vegetarian, Thai or Shan dishes. I only brought up the subject because there are times that I crave western food even though my wife is an excellent cook.  P.S. where do you buy your sirloin?

10 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Chicken fried steak is ALWAYS beef. Chicken fried steak with chicken is an alternative - cheaper - version.

Absolutely 100% correct. I don't know Johns recipe but to clear up any questions I'm going to include a recipe I found on the internet. 

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-fried-steak

Thanks gang for re...clearing the chicken or beef discussion.  Since Ramrod started this topic a few days ago I have just a few minutes ago had the third person come in thinking it was a chicken dinner.  Its always that way when this named dinner comes into the discussion . But if you're not a totally committed veggo, come in and try it.  For me its part of my youth food.   As Gene Autry used to say " Try it. you'll like it"   ( How many of you remember that line by him, years and years ago.

19 hours ago, Gonzo the Face said:

Thanks gang for re...clearing the chicken or beef discussion.  Since Ramrod started this topic a few days ago I have just a few minutes ago had the third person come in thinking it was a chicken dinner.  Its always that way when this named dinner comes into the discussion . But if you're not a totally committed veggo, come in and try it.  For me its part of my youth food.   As Gene Autry used to say " Try it. you'll like it"   ( How many of you remember that line by him, years and years ago.

All these years I've been mistaken. I thought Mae West said "try it You'll like it". Sorry I couldn't resist.

6 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

All these years I've been mistaken. I thought Mae West said "try it You'll like it". Sorry I couldn't resist.

I could be wrong, but I think that long, long ago on US Tv, the Gene Autry cowboy program , was sponsored by Wrigleys spearmint chewing gum, to which Gene Autry said .... try it,... you'll like it.

15 hours ago, cmrichsw said:

I thought it was Mikey likes it -

https://mikeylikesiticecream.com/ 

I know there was a soup commercial on television which depicted 3 brothers, the two older siblings would not try the soup, they made "Mikey" try it. After he tasted it the elder brothers said "Mikey likes it". Seems like a long time ago.

3 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

You may well be right, I thought Campbells soup. I know it was a long time ago, at least 30 years.

When in doubt punch a few keys on the computer I guess. Life cereal is absolutely correct.

It would work well for chicken fried steak as well in my humble opinion

6 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Would never have guessed, being English.

I suppose there wouldn't be confusion if the restaurant offered a fried chicken steak as well. In some restaurants the battered and breaded beef steak is referred to as country fried, not sure if that would clarify the issue though. The only thing I can tell you for sure is that it's tasty and usually, as in this case, very filling. The first time I went to the Pun Pun I expected it to be a smaller portion than in American truck stops so I ordered apple pie for dessert. Not only was the meal too large but I had to take the pie home. I'm not a small guy either, 6'2" and 226 lbs.

Had a couple of chicken fried steak lovers in yesterday who I think dropped a pair of glasses in my parking area.  Regular glasses with black bold frames.  They may just think they lost them someplace.  Forgive me, but its true what they say about old age and ones memory.  Knowing what they say about memory, I wrote down  the Thai Visa name, but true to form..... I forgot where I put the paper.  If you were here, had chicken Fried steak, and are missing your glasses, I have them.

5 hours ago, Gonzo the Face said:

Had a couple of chicken fried steak lovers in yesterday who I think dropped a pair of glasses in my parking area.  Regular glasses with black bold frames.  They may just think they lost them someplace.  Forgive me, but its true what they say about old age and ones memory.  Knowing what they say about memory, I wrote down  the Thai Visa name, but true to form..... I forgot where I put the paper.  If you were here, had chicken Fried steak, and are missing your glasses, I have them.

I have to ask, given the size of the chicken fried steak, how many people dare to attempt the superman breakfast?

Archived