Thai Law: Foreigners Need Business Visas To Attend Meetings

Thai Law: Foreigners Need Business Visas To Attend Meetings

By Wirot Poonsuwan, Attorney-at-Law

ross-696x466.jpg

US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, seated fifth from left, chairs a 2017 meeting in Bangkok. Photo: U.S. Embassy Bangkok

A recent revamp of the work permit law has made life easier for foreign investors visiting the country to do business. Since it was enacted earlier this year, the Executive Decree on Administration and Management of Employment of Foreigners means they are no longer required to obtain a work permit to attend business meetings in Thailand.

A legal peril few were likely aware of, it was in fact the case for decades that attending a meeting for even one day was deemed “work” under the law and therefore illegal without a permit.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/10/18/thai-law-foreigners-need-business-visas-to-attend-meetings/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-10-18

I seriously wonder where the Thai hatred against foreign businesses is rooted. Such laws are ridiculous. 

One of the reasons why we had all meetings OUTSIDE Thailand, i.e Singapore or Hong Kong. Costlier though but much more professional, as far as infrastructure is concerned. Logistically flawless (as far as taxi mafia, traffic jams etc. are concerned) and everybody you need to talk to - speaks basic English to start with! 

I'm surprised that the authorities didn't raid the local Expat Club General Meeting right after busting the criminal 'Bridge Club' for 'possible illegal activities' and other such heinous criminal activities.  :whistling:

I am just applying for an APEC card as I do business in China. Never any mention of work permits when I travel there of course. It gives 90 day on arrival visas in many countries including Thailand. Wonder if it would be any good for doing short term business in Thailand. Any one else got an APEC card?

Archived