‘Big Joke’ vows to get rid of 7,000 overstaying foreigners by end of month

webfact

22 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Thailand does the right thing for Thailand, pity the UK cant do the same for the UK.

I think what you meant to say was that Thailand does the right thing for the tiny minority who control Thailand. I rather think the UK has been striving for the last 100 years to move away from that proposition, do you welcome fuedalism ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foexie said:

Just wonder what lame excuse a tourist can have for not leaving Thailand on time when his travel time or visa has finished?! Just 2 excuses can be acceptable: being in the hospital (or not be able to travel because of a medical problem) or being in jail ( or a juridical procedure).

I was on an ED visa and I couldnt leave Thailand until I cancelled my visa at immigration and they gave me a letter conforming this .

Immigration took their time in issuing the letter , which caused me to overstay

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

So because they get their rewards AFTER a person has been deported, they won't make false accusations? You think that will stop false accusations being made?  Here? Seriously? And you think that Immi wouldn't just take the easy way out and deport even if there was doubt?  

If they thought they could make a baht out of it, many Thais would sell their granny.

I think if they offered a reward:

1) culprits would be running for the hills even before anyone got a chance to report them

2) the people who knew a person was staying here illegally would report it

It would do a very good job of almost completely solving the entire problem in no time. 

The funny part about this is, how do we think people are caught now? They round up 20 people, how were they caught? It is probably largely because people who know someone is not legal phoned in. I am just proposing they augment that mechanism. 

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Just a question regarding the rest of us who are here legally...

I've lived here continuously for the last 10 years on a retirement visa... home country being England.

As of the 1st January 2019 the British embassy has stated it will no longer supply a pension statement letter, which I have used before to support my renewal.

The immigration office has requested that we now show one of two things:

800,000 baht in an account for at least 3 months prior to the renewal/application or

65,000 baht deposited each month...

As a personal preference I do not wish to deposit 800,000 baht in my Thai account so my option is to go with the 65,000 baht per month.

However I am not happy with showing all my monthly deposits/withdrawals within my bank book which I consider to be my private business, also I'm sure the immigration office will ask for photocopies of the bank book for records which I also am not happy about because that makes them privy to anyone who cares to look at my private financial affairs.

So if I open a new account in my name only, deposit 65,000 baht at the beginning of each month and then withdraw the money to do as I wish with it... will this suffice ????

It will probably be fine at least the first time.. and if it's not ok they will just tell you what you have to do until next time ... I'm just guessing .. and rules in Thailand are always interpreted and enforced completely randomly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, utalkin2me said:

I think if they offered a reward:

1) culprits would be running for the hills even before anyone got a chance to report them

2) the people who knew a person was staying here illegally would report it

It would do a very good job of almost completely solving the entire problem in no time. 

The funny part about this is, how do we think people are caught now? They round up 20 people, how were they caught? It is probably largely because people who know someone is not legal phoned in. I am just proposing they augment that mechanism. 

They have records of people who came in to the country and never left and never did 90 day report.. 

Or they can check people that did 90 report and suddenly stopped doing it and never left country... Assuming they have a good system .. huge assumption ????

12 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Darksidedog

May I offer you a sincere public forum apology for my impolite and brusque response to your post yesterday.

Whilst I agree with what you are saying I also agree with another poster who has pointed out that these endless "razzias"(quote) create an unhealthy climate of doubt,scepticism and fear.

The police can go about their business in a professional manner without the lurid glare of the flashlights and hamming it up for the home audience.

As you agree with darkside.dog possibly you could give examples of this "continuous flak" that he says we receive and this "bad reputation" he claims we all have.

I have no experience of either.

54 minutes ago, rott said:

As you agree with darkside.dog possibly you could give examples of this "continuous flak" that he says we receive and this "bad reputation" he claims we all have.

I have no experience of either.

You haven't?

Why..that's great!

Keep on truckin' and have a nice day.????

14 hours ago, newatthis said:

I understood exactly what you said and my belief is that just because you are "legally" married, you shouldn't get seen differently to those living in a common law marriage. In fact, common law [or defacto] marriages are becoming equally recognizable within society.

And you were also insinuating that only those in a "legal" marriage were responsible for family etc.  Posts 167-169

Your beliefs are quite secondary as to the legal situation in Thailand which is the only pertinent criteria.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hobz said:

They have records of people who came in to the country and never left and never did 90 day report.. 

Or they can check people that did 90 report and suddenly stopped doing it and never left country... Assuming they have a good system .. huge assumption ????

And how would they find say a cambodian worker, or whoever, who came in and was 90 day reporting? Most people living illegally in a country will most likely be hiding. They aren't reporting their current address to immigration every time they move. But yes I do see your point and that could very well be how they are finding people. 

Edited by utalkin2me

8 hours ago, hobz said:

It will probably be fine at least the first time.. and if it's not ok they will just tell you what you have to do until next time ... I'm just guessing .. and rules in Thailand are always interpreted and enforced completely randomly.

Thx for your reply but guessing doesn't help getting a renewal next year... which is why I put the question out there to get some clarification..

if it's not ok they will not renew your visa in which case were stuffed !

My point was as a British subject now living here on a retirement visa I will have to produce evidence of either 800,000 baht in my account for 3 months prior to renewal or 65,000 baht deposited each month

I have stated I have no wish to have 800,000 baht tied up in a Thai bank so I will opt for the latter.

If I open a new account in my name only, deposit 65,000 baht into it each month then a couple of days later I withdraw the same to spend as I wish, will this be acceptable?

I do-not wish for privacy reasons want to show all my other bank transactions, ie deposits, withdrawls including my wife's financial affairs as we have a joint account...

Things have certainly tightened up. I was down in Pattaya during the week and stayed at a hotel that I use regularly. Never in the past have they ever asked for my passport, normally my wife has checked in and they have just taken a copy of my pink ID card. This time she insisted that she must take a copy of passport and stamp as the police were checking up.

25 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

And how would they find say a cambodian worker, or whoever, who came in and was 90 day reporting? Most people living illegally in a country will most likely be hiding. They aren't reporting their current address to immigration every time they move. But yes I do see your point and that could very well be how they are finding people. 

You and I might not be able to recognise a Burmese or Cambodian but most Thai people can, Thai police also live in the community and they know who is employing foreign workers and where. Traditionally the construction and fishing industries have been magnets for foreign labour simply because Thai people don't want to do that sort of work, it was estimated recently that Phuket alone has something like 300k plus Burmese workers living and working there and that less than 10% have medical insurance of any type hence they clog up the hospital system and can't pay their bills.

45 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Thai Immigration are currently under orders to visit every small nook and cranny of the province they are responsible for looking for illegals. They came to our very small village last Thursday and stopped at the small local restaurants and motorcycle repair shop asking about foreigners in the area. They also stopped the local postman and talked to him. Those are the kind of people who will know about foreigners in the area.

After visiting our house (all very relaxed and friendly) their next stop was the local mushroom farm, exactly the kind of place where Burmese or Cambodians would be working.

Sophon

• Like 1

We were sitting outside our mini mart a few days back having a beer, it was about 8pm. Immigration police pulled up, three guys got out with immigration police in big letters on their jackets...Never seen them before in our location.

They did lots of Waiing but not one could speak any English..????

We asked them if they wanted a beer, they laughed..Anyhooo they spoke to the ladies, asked if we had our passports...No....Can you tell them to in future carry their passports...????

Oh well, it fell on our deaf ears...????

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2018 at 1:34 PM, Father Fintan Stack said:

Many have the money but quite rightly don't want to keep it in a Thai bank account in perpetuity.

It only needs to be in a Thai bank for 3 months, then you can take it out and do what you want with it. But put it back next year.

What this thread needs to be more illustrative is a league table of Big Joke's successes .    A daily record showing numbers of nabbed foreigners by their nationality, the location where they were nabbed etc would help to give an overview as to the main problem areas geographically.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

What this thread needs to be more illustrative is a league table of Big Joke's successes .    A daily record showing numbers of nabbed foreigners by their nationality, the location where they were nabbed etc would help to give an overview as to the main problem areas geographically.

Why should they let you/us know their findings..?

What about those foreigners who declare their income illegally (when they don't have that much money) just to get their retirement visa. They are still legal although it should be illegal.

Maybe these foreigners should start declaring their income to their respective embassies the same way and stay 'legally'.

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, transam said:

We were sitting outside our mini mart a few days back having a beer, it was about 8pm. Immigration police pulled up, three guys got out with immigration police in big letters on their jackets...Never seen them before in our location.

They did lots of Waiing but not one could speak any English..????

We asked them if they wanted a beer, they laughed..Anyhooo they spoke to the ladies, asked if we had our passports...No....Can you tell them to in future carry their passports...????

Oh well, it fell on our deaf ears...????

I had one lady at the transport dept commanding me to always bring my passport around, after all, Thai people carry their ID around too.

That is after I showed them my driving licence, they still insisted on original passport.

7 minutes ago, EricTh said:

What about those foreigners who declare their income illegally (when they don't have that much money) just to get their retirement visa. They are still legal although it should be illegal.

Maybe these foreigners should start declaring their income to their respective embassies the same way and stay 'legally'.

You sound all cuddly....????..........????

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Thx for your reply but guessing doesn't help getting a renewal next year... which is why I put the question out there to get some clarification..

if it's not ok they will not renew your visa in which case were stuffed !

My point was as a British subject now living here on a retirement visa I will have to produce evidence of either 800,000 baht in my account for 3 months prior to renewal or 65,000 baht deposited each month

I have stated I have no wish to have 800,000 baht tied up in a Thai bank so I will opt for the latter.

If I open a new account in my name only, deposit 65,000 baht into it each month then a couple of days later I withdraw the same to spend as I wish, will this be acceptable?

I do-not wish for privacy reasons want to show all my other bank transactions, ie deposits, withdrawls including my wife's financial affairs as we have a joint account...

I am not sure but I thought it is 65000 baht every month for at least 3 months? You can't just deposit 65000 today , withdraw tomorrow and then deposit again next month.

Then they only need you to have max 65000 baht at any one time. 

Edited by EricTh

2 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

They would go to last known adress. Last known place of work (if applicable). Ofcourse it won't be easy if they have moved...