Thai drivers ignoring 11 million traffic tickets

webfact

1 hour ago, Samuel Smith said:

Raise the speed limits on dual carriageways. 90kph is too low!  

Just got my second ticket for less than 5kmh over the speed limit of 90.

It is very hard to maintain that speed over long distances on good roads.

My 5th gear is superfluous.

My Thai Son was gven two fines both for speeding 1. at 123 Kph the other at 125Kph on a highway, with a speed limit of 120Kph.

With the inherent inacurries in any system this seems a poor responce from RTP

In other country's you could challenge there claim and also demand through the courts the date of the last calibration of said equipment, Thai's are very good at affording the budget to buy NEW equipment but never seem to have the funds for on-going mainteneance.

The "FINE" system seems to be that they simply mail it (normal mail) to the Registered address of the vehicle, with the amount of mail that goes missing to my own house how do they prove that you have actually received the notice.

My son said that the Police/highway authorities wanted the DLT to collect the fees but would not give them any commision for doing the job so DLT rejected their request T.I.T.

Lastly when you look at the form paying a fine for speeding at a Up-country location they require payment to the DIRECT to the area concerned. They could have made it very simple (Like other Govt agencies Electric water bills etc)  so you could simply pay at any 7/11 etc but AGAIN RTP are not willing to pay them a commission.

Thai's simply ignore them so RTP get Nowt!

Quite simply, RTP should send the notification by REGISTERED MAIL, Give the recipient One MONTH to pay, and charge DOUBLE  if you wait to do it at DLT on renewing your yearly registraion.

Also

Also produce a system where you can challenge their claim, if the machine has not be calibrated in the last xx Mths No claim would be paid.

In Pattaya I live in hope that the authorities would put Camera's on EVERY Traffic lights juction to stop the Blatant running of RED lights by both Thai's and Falangs. I personally view this as a MUCH more serious offence.   I do agree that speed CAN kill.

But......... T.I.T.     and Don't take Take life too seriiously.

However there was painted on the Hanger doors of an Army Helicopter squadron

Mai Pen Rai -  Is a way to DIE

(Never Mind) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Siam Bruce said:

Lastly when you look at the form paying a fine for speeding at a Up-country location they require payment to the DIRECT to the area concerned. They could have made it very simple (Like other Govt agencies Electric water bills etc)  so you could simply pay at any 7/11

I recently had speeding ticket, they give varies options to pay the most convenient was to pay at any  K bank.  

15 hours ago, how241 said:

Time for a computer upgrade.

Typical Thailand cart before horse every time, this should have all been done before some bureaucrat engaged his mouth before putting brain into gear.

• Like 1

I've said this near 10 years ago while they are spending billions trillions on new roads they haven't spend anything on the update to their computer system to link the country so they can track citizens and vehicles movement throughout the country so no surprise here again the honor system just doesn't work.

Second, as noted by another the current or correct address good luck with that too!

Re: “ 

raiboon said he had instructed the IT team of the Royal Thai Police to work out with the Land Transport Department to link the PTM and vehicle registration”

Thailand 4.0, 5555, another knee jerk reactive feel good PR stunt,  by the time, if ever,  they get this database Intergration working effectively the offenders will be long gone from this world. 

how many don,t have a license or anything else. 11 million fines unpaid i think they will never be paid,good for the bin only.good luck in getting the money.the only fines that are paid are the ones that farangs pay because of no scooter  license .they are caught and police are they waiting for the cash at the roadside.you see it everyday.pay the money then you can  and the ticket is good for 7 days.this is thailand and change takes forever as we all know

• Thanks 1

I think you guys are missing the most funny thing of this article,

"Kraiboon said no fines had been remitted for 1.33 million tickets issued on the spot and 9.838 million tickets mailed out."

That means the police lost the money they got for those on the spot tickets? :D

• Haha 1

Say 11 million tickets at what an average of 250 baht per fine ? 2,750,000,000 Million baht ! or in real money, around 85 Million USD .... now that sort of money is worth chasing ... pity they don't contract it out to a Private Company to retrieve, if you only returned 10% of the money, that's not a bad living ... 8.5 mill !

introducing consequence for one's actions is going to create chaos and massive resistance. Being responsible, for those that have never had to be nor have ever been aware of that "concept", just isn't fair. Just ask them.

Just try to unspoil a child and see how that works out for you.

Yesterday I paid a 500 baht fine; my offence, clearly caught on camera, was going through a yellow light!  I had always thought this was to warn of the imminent change to red which I definite know to be illegal.

At every set of lights en route to Banglamung police station, I observed at least three drivers running the red.  I made that a total of 24 offences of serious dangerous driving.  I wonder how many were caught on camera; how many paid the fine?

• Haha 1

It is pretty funny. One of the things I love about Thailand is the total chaos. The more third world the country the more complex and inefficient is its bureacracy....think immigration collecting all those photocopies, never to be looked at again. Why on earth do they do it? I sometimes tell immigration to look in my file as the info I provide hardly ever changes....but no, I have to get new photocopies of the same documents every year. It is like something out of Kafka.....but it is all part of the charm of Thailand and, of course, it affords a lot of discretionary power to low level, underpaid clerks who can get 'tipped' for sorting out small problems.

Changing addresses here is such a major hassle, who could possibly want to go through all that pain just so that they can send you tickets in the mail. I recently traded in a 10 year old pick up which had an address I hadn't lived at for 9 1/2 years. No problem said the dealer.....and there was no problem. Thais tend to move quite a lot when they are young....now why would they take a day off work to sit in the amper just to change addresses?

• Thanks 1