Heading back home after 5 years

Hal65

45 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

If you have a Thai Bank Account, it's easy to top-up using Online/Mobile Banking and if you're on AIS, every top-up adds an extra month to the validity of your SIM up to a maximum of 12 months. 

If you don't have a Thai Bank Account or Online/Mobile Banking, I've used these guys https://mobiletopup.com/ a couple of times with no problems (Again, every top up added 1 month to my AIS valid to date).

Yes, I did the rounds and these were my findings too.

Bangkok Bank charges 50 thb per month after 1 year of no activity. Lady said doing a purchase on Lazada every 6 months should prevent the fee.

• Like 1

As far as your AIS number goes. You can top it up to keep the number valid up to a year. Go to 711 and use those machines outside 12 baht will credit you 10baht and extend it for a month, do that 12 times for example. Before the year is out have a friend in Thailand do the same scenario to keep it active for another year.

Sent from my abacus using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

It will cost you 36,000 for two years. plus the headache of paying every month, and your things will get old, and could get damaged from the humidity. on the other hand, keep the 36,000 plus the money you will get from selling it, minus the headache from storing it. 

IMO a bird in the hand.......... 

I have a plan for the OP

Take the storage cost for three years plus the proceed from the sale,

Put it in a three year CD.

In three years you will have more than enough to replace your things , they will be new and modern, you will have no headache , and the money will be there for you if you need it, or if you don't come back

Edited by sirineou

19 hours ago, Hal65 said:

I have 40,000 baht worth of weight equipment, including something few others would want (a trap bar, and no straight bar).

So I either try to sell that, probably at a hefty loss, and rebuy again, or pay the 1,500 a month for 2 years, maybe 3 to store it. Storing it would then let me keep my bicycle, blender, air fryer, mattress topper, and a bunch of other lower value stuff too.

1500 per month is a lot. I rent out rooms for 2000. How much space do you get for 1500? Seems quite a lot. Maybe I should divide our rooms into storage space ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mansell said:

Have you ever tried to sell anything here? It takes for ever. As far as I can tell everybody is either really cheap or really poor. I have sold multiple things on Craigslist in California, everything from kayaks, to many motorbikes, bicycles, cars, etc and everything was gone within one to two weeks......here it was like pulling teeth. If he doesn't want to take a great loss and rebuy, put it in storage.

I wouldn’t disagree with that. Thai’s in general expect you to give stuff away.

So he’s back to the storage or ship it home.

Now you get into the crap shoot thing. So either;

1. Everything works according to plan and he’s back in 12-24 months, then storage, in as I previously mentioned a decent climate controlled unit, otherwise he’s just coming back to junk

2. Not 100% sure about the return, then take his lumps and pay the extra and get stuff shipped home. It’ll still be there if and when he goes home for good. And he ends up in Thailand for good, dump it on Craigslist in the US. It’ll sell there

3 hours ago, Cheops said:

1500 per month is a lot. I rent out rooms for 2000. How much space do you get for 1500? Seems quite a lot. Maybe I should divide our rooms into storage space ????

1,400 thb to be exact. 2 x 2.4 x 2.4 meters for a medium: http://www.ustoreitpattaya.com/unit-selector.html

1 minute ago, chicowoodduck said:

Good for you.....I am in the same frame of mind, but will cut and burn all my bridges before I depart......have had enough of Lieland and all that comes along with it......????????????????

Hope your home country is all that you remember and exp[ect it to be.

Some countries are quite different than a few years ago. They too may be called "Lieland" as lying now starts from the top down. A new form of "trickle down".

• Like 2

On 10/20/2018 at 6:31 AM, neeray said:

The problem with storing can be that plans change and 2 or 3 years can become 5 or 6 or 'never'.

Been there, done that ..... (in my case, moving back to Toronto from Vancouver). I suggest you dispose now and repurchase again when needed.

Yes quite agree with neeray. sometimes things don't look the same after  2 or 3 years. You may not like them anymore and wish to buy new ones. Even women don't look the same after 2 or 3 years am I right? You feel good with new woman like you do with new blender. Anyone disagree?

23 hours ago, Mansell said:

Have you ever tried to sell anything here? It takes for ever. As far as I can tell everybody is either really cheap or really poor. I have sold multiple things on Craigslist in California, everything from kayaks, to many motorbikes, bicycles, cars, etc and everything was gone within one to two weeks......here it was like pulling teeth. If he doesn't want to take a great loss and rebuy, put it in storage.

another reason its hard to sell i noticed people sell household stuff in Bangkok but they expect to get some 90% back of what they paid.

who would wants your scrungy old plates, juicer, vacuum cleaner, cutlery etc

when the cost you ask can nearly buy new?

On 10/20/2018 at 2:36 AM, tropo said:

Find out how long the landlord will take to refund you the deposit. Some like to take their time about it, hoping you can't stay long enough to collect it.

Some members of this forum claim they're landlords.     I'll bet they'd state  they're completely above board in promptly refunding  due deposits.

On 10/20/2018 at 3:08 AM, Rc2702 said:

Putting it into storage. Sounds costly what kind of stuff don't you need to take that you need to keep?

Selling if off not a  option?

I realize you mean giving your things to your wife's relatives to keep until you possibly return to Thailand.   (Maybe you get back later and maybe not.)

Thailand has a dearth of storage options as you know them in the USA.      Besides,  paying to store things is incredibly dear  even under the best of circumstances.

On 10/20/2018 at 4:48 AM, JLCrab said:

It seems to me that those who always say what a great thing it was to relocate to their country ex-Thailand are those who were able to bring their Thai wife or girlfriend or other various forms of Thai female companionship along with them.

I would even consider relocating if I could bring a Thai girlfriend with me but then I would have to figure out which one.

wouldn't matter which one.........when the "time" arose you would just be missing the others.

unless you can really be happy being monotonous.....sorry...monogamous

Edited by rumak

16 hours ago, Hal65 said:

1,400 thb to be exact. 2 x 2.4 x 2.4 meters for a medium: http://www.ustoreitpattaya.com/unit-selector.html

This storage place was the best option I found in Pattaya.      The owner is a  Kansas Jayhawk fan and is  very engaging.

I only find storing things a dead end option.      I've done it twice and ended up regretting  not simply giving all my things away rather than paying to store them.

Words to the wise.

• Like 2

I've been told by an operator that ham in Thailand is forbidden

Nope, I've had a Thai ham licence since about 2002.  Difficult to get though, (but a lot easier to get than the ham licence I had in Myanmar....)

On 10/20/2018 at 10:34 PM, Cheops said:

Obviously renting space at storage facilities will cost more (for the same area) than cheap accommodation space. There's not much competition in secure storage facilities.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, watcharacters said:
On 10/20/2018 at 2:36 AM, tropo said:

Find out how long the landlord will take to refund you the deposit. Some like to take their time about it, hoping you can't stay long enough to collect it.

Some members of this forum claim they're landlords.     I'll bet they'd state  they're completely above board in promptly refunding  due deposits.

I suppose it comes down to how lucky you are with your landlord. My rental contract says it will be returned within 1 - 30 days. I wish I'd noticed that when I signed, as that's a bit long, and I should have objected. If I leave I can't wait around in a hotel to receive it, so I'd have to rely on the landlord depositing it in my account.

Log into TV everyday, and tell us people who live here what a mistake it is staying here, and how your home country is 100 times better, and you don't know why you bothered coming here in the first place !
A few gems (????) doing that on here everyday,so you won't be on your own doing it. 

.........and then come back a few weeks later.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, rumak said:
On 10/20/2018 at 4:48 AM, JLCrab said:

I would even consider relocating if I could bring a Thai girlfriend with me but then I would have to figure out which one.

wouldn't matter which one.........when the "time" arose you would just be missing the others.

No problem I said "IF"

22 hours ago, neeray said:

Hope your home country is all that you remember and exp[ect it to be.

Some countries are quite different than a few years ago. They too may be called "Lieland" as lying now starts from the top down. A new form of "trickle down".

Not to worry, can do it standing on my head....a change is as good as a vacation......????

2 hours ago, rumak said:

tricky word that word IF.     reminds me of my friend when he talks about the stock market

reminds me of a greek king that responded to the persian kings demand "If i walk my army towards you you are bust"

greek king respond: "IF"

On 10/19/2018 at 10:48 PM, JLCrab said:

... I would even consider relocating if I could bring a Thai girlfriend with me but then I would have to figure out which one.

What's to ponder? As anyone vaguely familiar with HR knows, you always hire the one with the biggest t!ts.

• Like 1