WikiLeaks' Assange sues in Ecuador for better asylum terms - lawyer

rooster59

WikiLeaks' Assange sues in Ecuador for better asylum terms - lawyer

By Alexandra Valencia

800x800 (2).jpg

QUITO (Reuters) - WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has filed a lawsuit in Ecuador against new terms of asylum in the Andean country's London embassy that require him to pay for medical bills and phone calls and clean up after his pet cat, his lawyer said on Friday.

Ecuador this month created the new protocol governing his stay at the embassy. Lawyer Baltasar Garzon told a press conference in Quito that the rules were drawn up without consulting the Australian national, who has sued Foreign Minister Jose Valencia in a Quito court to have them changed.

Assange has not had access to the internet since it was cut off in March, Garzon added, despite a WikiLeaks statement this week that it had been restored.

"He has been held in inhuman conditions for more than six years," Garzon said. "Even people who are imprisoned have phone calls paid for by the state," he added, describing the obligations regarding the cat as "denigrating."

Garzon said Valencia was named in the lawsuit because he serves as the intermediary between Assange and the Ecuadorean government.

Valencia said the government "will respond in an appropriate manner."

"The protocol is in line with international standards and Ecuadorean law," he told reporters in the Ecuadorean city of Daule on Friday.

Assange's stay has become an increasing annoyance for Ecuadorean President Lenin Moreno, who has said the asylum cannot be eternal but has been reluctant to push him out of the embassy on concern for his human rights.

Assange believes he would be handed over to the United States to face prosecution over WikiLeaks' publication of hundreds of thousands of classified military and diplomatic documents.

Former Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa in 2012 granted Assange asylum as he sought to avoid extradition to Sweden for interrogation on alleged sexual assault crimes.

Sweden later dropped its investigation of Assange, but Britain says he will be arrested for violating the terms of his bail if he leaves the embassy.

Ecuador in 2017 gave Assange citizenship and named him to a diplomatic post in Russia, but rescinded the latter after Britain refused to give him diplomatic immunity, according to an Ecuadorean government document seen by Reuters.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-20

2 hours ago, oilinki said:

There has been talks that Assange is going to be moved to Russia. I suppose this is a prelude for that procedure. 

Actually, that was already considered. The Ecuadorians planned to try and get Assange credentialed as a diplomat to Russa, and via diplomatic immunity ship him off to Russia. The UK nixed that plan.

Exclusive: Ecuador attempted to give Assange diplomat post in Russia - document

Ecuador in 2017 gave Wikileaks founder Julian Assange a diplomatic post in Russia but rescinded it after Britain refused to give him diplomatic immunity, according to an Ecuadorean government document seen by Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ecuador-assange-exclusive/exclusive-ecuador-attempted-to-give-assange-diplomat-post-in-russia-document-idUSKCN1M12R5

He's Australian so why has Canberra stayed right out of this saga since the get go?

They seem to have  played no role at all .He cant have had his citizenship revoked.

Sounds like he might be going stir crazy being cooped up 24/7 for 6 years. May as well be in prison.

My youngest brother was at Melbourne uni with this guy.  Small world.

Maybe the Aust gov can send him back to OZ ?

Would be a great TV breaking news event watching the  motorcade cruise through the streets of London out to Heathrow QANTAS terminal 3.

Edited by lanista

33 minutes ago, lanista said:

He's Australian so why has Canberra stayed right out of this saga since the get go?

They seem to have  played no role at all .He cant have had his citizenship revoked.

Sounds like he might be going stir crazy being cooped up 24/7 for 6 years. May as well be in prison.

Would be a great TV breaking news event watching the  motorcade cruise through the streets of London out to Heathrow QANTAS terminal 3.

"Would be a great TV breaking news event watching the  motorcade cruise through the streets of London out to Heathrow QANTAS terminal 3."

The great TV breaking news would be the bit between the door of the Ecuadorian embassy and the door of the taxi to the airport. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PREM-R said:

As soon as he steps on to the pavement outside the embassy he will feel a firm hand on his shoulder and the words "You're [email protected] nicked, mate" as he is led away to face charges of not surrendering to his bail

As I understand it the police watch on the embassy was withdrawn year ago.

But there again instead of making a quiet moonlight flight he will invite the press a long to see him come out...

As for Britain wanting to put him a way for a long time, why wast the money on a trial, there are plenty of other countries wanting to provide him free board and lodgings.

2 hours ago, PREM-R said:

As soon as he steps on to the pavement outside the embassy he will feel a firm hand on his shoulder and the words "You're [email protected] nicked, mate" as he is led away to face charges of not surrendering to his bail

Exactly.  For some obscure (.....????) reason, the Brit. govt. is pursuing him with far more vigour than any other bail-jumper - even though the original charges have been dropped.....

Govts. aren't keen on whistle blowers - and Assange has been the ultimate whistle blower.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Haha 2

If I was a Brit I would be releasing my venom, not on Assange, but on my government for the millions it has spent guarding and trying to arrest the guy for the heinous crime of jumping bail on trumped up charges in another country that have now been dropped.

They're leaving the EU with a bad, or no, deal and have been told where to go by the US, and yet they still want to pursue this pathetic character on their behalves.

Why not just let the guy get on a plane to anywhere and stop spending money on him.

This is the same government that sold off it's Thai embassy and shut down most of the services needed by it's own citizens. 

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Exactly.  For some obscure (.....????) reason, the Brit. govt. is pursuing him with far more vigour than any other bail-jumper - even though the original charges have been dropped.....

Govts. aren't keen on whistle blowers - and Assange has been the ultimate whistle blower.

So obscure to be void of evidence.

Assange isn’t being pursued, everyone knows exactly where he’s hiding.

He’ll be allowed to remain there until the FBI decide they’re ready to have a face to face chat with him.

When that time comes, but not before, the Ecuadorian’s will toss him out onto the street.

Assange’s days of freedom are over, he should make better use of them than hiding in a cupboard.

9 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

If I was a Brit I would be releasing my venom, not on Assange, but on my government for the millions it has spent guarding and trying to arrest the guy for the heinous crime of jumping bail on trumped up charges in another country that have now been dropped.

They're leaving the EU with a bad, or no, deal and have been told where to go by the US, and yet they still want to pursue this pathetic character on their behalves.

Why not just let the guy get on a plane to anywhere and stop spending money on him.

This is the same government that sold off it's Thai embassy and shut down most of the services needed by it's own citizens. 

So let him surrender to the authorities and get a good lawyer.

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has filed a lawsuit in Ecuador against new terms of asylum in the Andean country's London embassy that require him to pay for medical bills and phone calls and clean up after his pet cat, his lawyer said on Friday.

Nothing about scratches to the furniture...

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

"Would be a great TV breaking news event watching the  motorcade cruise through the streets of London out to Heathrow QANTAS terminal 3."

The great TV breaking news would be the bit between the door of the Ecuadorian embassy and the door of the taxi to the airport. 

and the bed sheet hanging from the embassy balcony with the word "Good Riddance" on it...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, lanista said:

A good point, apparently his government have completely abandoned him to British and US interests.

• Like 1

Boot him out of the embassy, I think he has overstayed his welcome. British will arrest him, and hopefully deport him first to Sweden where he should face charges. Then if USA want him, extradite his arse, where I'm sure you won't hear from Assange ever again.