Thai Passport For Half Thai Farang Kid

Hello all ,

I am a fan of this site . i love reading information on your site which is very helpful for me before getting action to do something in TH.

As I used to post a question about making passport for my daughter , little background is she was born in Swiss in 2005, her mother is Thai and I am Swiss citizen, her thai birth certificate was issued by Thai emassy in Bern. We have had problem about making Thai passport in Bern cause the staff said my baby is too little. etc.. So we decided that we wouldgo make in Thailand, however, we could not get it done last trip cause we had made too short stay.

Now, my wife and my baby gotta go TH in the next few months. Hopefully, she can get passport for kid in this trip.

What the problem is I couldn't go with her in this trip cause of workloads! :o I read somewhere on this site-(sorry can't remember the source cause I read too many topics). It stated in the case of a child , both parents need to be present to sign on paper. I would like to know wheter it is true?? and Can i give the wife my signature so that she could do by herself alone in BKK?? What kind of paper do I need to sign on?

Any advice would be highly welcomed, please.

Thks in advance

Regards

Lakdee

Edited by Lakdee

My wife went on her own, some time ago (years) now. I had to sign a form.

Hi Lamphun,

It would be great that signature is Ok. but what kind of form?? Can I download from internet??

Regards,

Lakdee

No idea sorry, we got it from the passport office. This was years ago and rules may have changed. If they need your signature there's always expresss mail.

Hi singa-traz,

I think we can ask the office to send passport by post ?? but what you said is applied for kid 's passport. May anyone confirm this point please?

Regards,

Lakdee

I had to go with my wife to collect the passports for my kids.

Sorry, can't remember the paperwork done.

You should be able to get your child a Thai passport at a Thai consulate or Embassy.

Years ago, I got my daughters Thai passport atthe consulate in Los Angeles. She was about one year old when she got it. You might check again, to see if they'll give you one now.

Can't remember if anything was said at the time about both of being there. Not an issue because we both were.

Hi TerryLH,

I did call to Thai Embassy few days ago to check if I could make Thai Passport for my daughter in Bern. The answer was still the same that I should wait till my daughter become 8 yrs old.

So the only choice I have had is to make in BKK, in case I want to get Thai passport quickly for her.

Regards,

Lakdee

You should be able to get your child a Thai passport at a Thai consulate or Embassy.

Years ago, I got my daughters Thai passport atthe consulate in Los Angeles. She was about one year old when she got it. You might check again, to see if they'll give you one now.

Can't remember if anything was said at the time about both of being there. Not an issue because we both were.

Both parents must attend when a minor applies for a passport as both must give their consent. You must show the ID of both parents (which in your case will be your passport) and your marriage certificate. See Documents required for Thai passport . If there is only one parent as in the case of divorce or death then that parent must show they have sole custody of the child. The regulations do give the option for one parent to sign a letter of consent but I'm not sure if that works and it would presumably have to be in Thai or have a translation.

When you apply for a passport you must attend in person as the photograph is taken there and with the new epassports they even photograph your fingerprints. They will however return the passport to you by courier (if in Thailand) or by special delivery registered post (if in EU). It takes about 1 week to get a passport in Thailand (if returned by courier) and about 4 weeks (although allow 6 weeks) applying in London so it should be the same in Bern

I would think as your daughter is a Thai Citizen and it is the Thai government regulations that infants must have their own passport then the Embassy must be duty bound to process a passport for her. I dont see how they can refuse. If you still get the same answer cant you call the Thai embassy in Germany, Austria or France to see if you get the same answer. Good luck

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Hi Mahout Angrit,

Thanks for the link. I might give a try by calling Thai Embassy in Germany. Anyway, if the answer is Yes, I still think that I would like to make Thaipassport in BKK than rather go to Germany.

One question , Where can I get a letter of consent form?? Any website to download this form ?? I can just write by myself or need to have proper form?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Lakdee

Both parents must attend when a minor applies for a passport as both must give their consent. You must show the ID of both parents (which in your case will be your passport) and your marriage certificate. See Documents required for Thai passport . If there is only one parent as in the case of divorce or death then that parent must show they have sole custody of the child. The regulations do give the option for one parent to sign a letter of consent but I'm not sure if that works and it would presumably have to be in Thai or have a translation.

When you apply for a passport you must attend in person as the photograph is taken there and with the new epassports they even photograph your fingerprints. They will however return the passport to you by courier (if in Thailand) or by special delivery registered post (if in EU). It takes about 1 week to get a passport in Thailand (if returned by courier) and about 4 weeks (although allow 6 weeks) applying in London so it should be the same in Bern

I would think as your daughter is a Thai Citizen and it is the Thai government regulations that infants must have their own passport then the Embassy must be duty bound to process a passport for her. I dont see how they can refuse. If you still get the same answer cant you call the Thai embassy in Germany, Austria or France to see if you get the same answer. Good luck

One question , Where can I get a letter of consent form?? Any website to download this form ?? I can just write by myself or need to have proper forms

I dont actually know if special forms exist and I know Thai officials can make life really difficult if they want to and things are not completely correct.

You could get your wife to call any of the Thai Passport offices listed and explain to them. or email the address at the 'contact us'.

Previous posters say they have got passports for their 1 year old so I still think they should do it but have only ever applied in Thailand myself so cannot help more. If they will issue one in Germany it shouldn't be too difficult for you to give an address of a friend in Germany for your application.

You can download the forms you need on the 'Ministry of foreign Affairs' website. This is where all passports are processed. My son was 11months at the time. His finger/ thumb print is on his passport. I went to a local office in Isaan to apply, fill out the forms with my wife. They then send your application to the M.O.F., Bangkok. The passport was sent back to us by EMS. The passport cost about 1200B

I'd actually go to Germany if i was you! It will be easier...

The reason is, in Thailand, before you get the passport, your baby will have to be registered on the Tabieen Bann (house registration document). They will then be issued with an ID number (if he or she doesn't have one already on the birth certificate). The reason for this is that the passport information is essentially transfered from the central ID database these days for applications made in Thailand.

Only then, with the Tabieen Baan, ID number, can you then go to the passport office and get a passport.

Now, depending on where your wife has a house registration, it could be difficult, especially if she has to travel upcountry to do it. If your wife is in BKK, or in a major city, then it is obviously a different story, nonetheless, there is running around to do.

For our daughter, both me (the Thai naitonal) and my wife went to the PP office together. It was required we both be there, but there may be a power of attoerney document that you can obtain so that you don't have to be there.

Hi omlagus,

May I ask where your son was born?? If he was born outside TH, his case must match to mine.

Thanks for your shared experience.

Regards,

lakdee

You can download the forms you need on the 'Ministry of foreign Affairs' website. This is where all passports are processed. My son was 11months at the time. His finger/ thumb print is on his passport. I went to a local office in Isaan to apply, fill out the forms with my wife. They then send your application to the M.O.F., Bangkok. The passport was sent back to us by EMS. The passport cost about 1200B

Hi Mahout Abgrit,

I would give a try in BKK first as my wife gotta go there- If she couldn't get it done, I would consider to make in Germany.

Thanks so much

Regards,

Lakdee

One question , Where can I get a letter of consent form?? Any website to download this form ?? I can just write by myself or need to have proper forms

I dont actually know if special forms exist and I know Thai officials can make life really difficult if they want to and things are not completely correct.

You could get your wife to call any of the Thai Passport offices listed and explain to them. or email the address at the 'contact us'.

Previous posters say they have got passports for their 1 year old so I still think they should do it but have only ever applied in Thailand myself so cannot help more. If they will issue one in Germany it shouldn't be too difficult for you to give an address of a friend in Germany for your application.

Hi omlagus,

May I ask where your son was born?? If he was born outside TH, his case must match to mine.

Regards,

lakdee

You should also ask how long ago that was as since the new epassports are now issued you have to go to a passport office in person as they digitally photograph you, unless it is different for babies.

Hi Samran,

Thanks so much for your suggestion& information .

My wife's name is in Tabieen Bann in BKK since she was college student about 10 yrs ago ( now she is 30 yrs old). Last year we ever tried to make passport at amphur, but our trip was too short so we couldn't get it done. Theofficer said our kid was born outside TH, so it takes about 30 days+ to declare her name on public before he can put her name on Tabieen Bann ( he said it was lawprocess , something like that ).

So that's why mywife would liek to try agin this time. I would keep on post if she can do it.

regards,

Lakdee

I'd actually go to Germany if i was you! It will be easier...

The reason is, in Thailand, before you get the passport, your baby will have to be registered on the Tabieen Bann (house registration document). They will then be issued with an ID number (if he or she doesn't have one already on the birth certificate). The reason for this is that the passport information is essentially transfered from the central ID database these days for applications made in Thailand.

Only then, with the Tabieen Baan, ID number, can you then go to the passport office and get a passport.

Now, depending on where your wife has a house registration, it could be difficult, especially if she has to travel upcountry to do it. If your wife is in BKK, or in a major city, then it is obviously a different story, nonetheless, there is running around to do.

For our daughter, both me (the Thai naitonal) and my wife went to the PP office together. It was required we both be there, but there may be a power of attoerney document that you can obtain so that you don't have to be there.

Hi pakboong,

Thanks for your reply, I hope that the letter of consent is simple as you said.

But according to Samran and maestro said that I should get it notarised by embassy... ummm... is it really needed to do so? long process & time taking would be begin if i must conbtact to ask for notarisation.. i guess.. ..

Regards,

Lakdee

The letter of consent is a simple letter with no particular form. Make sure you have your signature notarized and your wife should have no problem obtaining the passport in Bangkok. My GF got her daughter's completed in 3 days. Web site below.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/474.php

QUOTE(maestro @ 2007-02-14 09:58:10)

QUOTE(samran @ 2007-02-14 09:37:43)

Get it notarised at the embassy in Bern

...or the Thai consulate in Geneva, seeing that this is where you live.

--

Maestro

Thanks Maestro

Hi Samran,

My wife's name is in Tabieen Bann in BKK since she was college student about 10 yrs ago ( now she is 30 yrs old). Last year we ever tried to make passport at amphur, but our trip was too short so we couldn't get it done. Theofficer said our kid was born outside TH, so it takes about 30 days+ to declare her name on public before he can put her name on Tabieen Bann ( he said it was lawprocess , something like that ).

No problems.

30 days? I haven't heard that one. I was born outside of Thailand and put on the register within a day of moving to live in Thailand permanently.

Perhaps the rule does exist, and it was overlooked for me.

Or, the registrar just doesn't want to process something that isn't 'standard'.

Whatever the case, don't mention this 'rule' and it may not be a problem.

My wife will ring to passport department to check if anything needed more before leaving Swiss.

Thanks again

regards,

Lakdee

Hi omlagus,

Regards,

lakdee

You should also ask how long ago that was as since the new epassports are now issued you have to go to a passport office in person as they digitally photograph you, unless it is different for babies.

But according to Samran and maestro said that I should get it notarised by embassy... ummm... is it really needed to do so? long process & time taking would be begin if i must conbtact to ask for notarisation.. i guess.. ..

If you go to the consulate in person (bring your identification) you probably can get it while you wait. The consulate will confirm that the document was signed by you.

--

Maestro

If you go to the consulate in person (bring your identification) you probably can get it while you wait. The consulate will confirm that the document was signed by you.

--

Maestro

I will tell my wife to check with passport division in BKK whether the letter need to be notirised or not. I will tell her to ring tomorrow.

Thansks for your information Maestro.

Regards,

Lakdee

Hi Samran,

No problems.

30 days? I haven't heard that one. I was born outside of Thailand and put on the register within a day of moving to live in Thailand permanently.

Perhaps the rule does exist, and it was overlooked for me.

Or, the registrar just doesn't want to process something that isn't 'standard'.

Whatever the case, don't mention this 'rule' and it may not be a problem.

It would be good if my case can be done same yours wihtin few day. I hope the staff will overlook this time ... :o .

But what the officer told me, last year , it seemed like he was clearly stated that it was law. My brother in law even said if we went to make in rural amphor, it might be faster cause they didn't know much in details same like in BKK.. :D I'm not sure about this :D

Regards,

Lakdee

• 3 months later...

Hello All,

I just would like to update information about requesting my baby name to be on Thai House registration. Finally, my wife've seen my baby name on Thai tabian bann. I would like to summarize paper and processes (based on what my wife told me).

Required paper:

- Thai ID card of My wife and copy.

- Thai Tabian bann (show my wife name on) and copy.

-Thai Passport of My wife and copy .

- Copy of passport show the date my wife entered Thai Kingdom.

-Swiss passort of My baby and Copy

-Copy of passport show the date my baby entered Thai Kingdom.

-4 Photos of my baby.

-Thai birth certificate of my baby which issued by Thai embassy in Bern and copy.

-Thai marraige certificate issued by Ampur and copy.

Then my wife presented all docutments to Ampur. They made special interview and ask for all necessry information and typed all of them on computer.

it could be finished in 1 day for all processes . That's what the staff told my wife. unfortunately, the staff told her that the approved paper needed to be sign by higher level of staff. He was not in the office for few days. My wife could come back and take the papers next week. Whole process was quite smooth and not so hard. My wife made the request to put my baby name on house registration in Chiangrai province. Actually my wife was moved to live in BKK for more than 10 yrs. She decided to move her name back to her parents' house cause she thought that it could be more easier. And yes she was lucky, it was like her thought. She really thought that staff in ampur outside BKk is more kind and more helpful than in BKK.

One more thing is the staff also typed information (about the dated and address that my baby was shown on House registration on the back of Original Thai birth Certifcate also.

last year My wife and I tried to put our baby name on BKK house, but there were too many rules to follow and the staff was not so helpful.

As this trip was too short, my wife can not make Thai passport to my kid on time. But we are quite released and happy that we have our baby name on Thai house paper already. So the process to ask for Thai passport is more easy in the next trip.

My wife phoned to ask Passport Division in Laksee. They said The parents needs to show up for making Thai passport for kids (under 18 yrs old). In case of either one of parents is foreigner and can't be shown up. The letter of consent is need and certified by Thai Embassy.

Thanks for all helps again and hope my information will help for anyone wants to do same in the future.

Regards,

Lakdee

Edited by Lakdee