EU cannot accept temporary measure on Irish border - French minister

webfact

6 hours ago, nabbie said:

Next Scotland will most likely to leave UK very soon in order to join EU. So the England passport will be from EU to UK, UK to GB, GB to England (& Wales?).  

No it won't. Scotland would have a devil of a time getting in the EU. And the fraudster Sturgeon knows it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, fvw53 said:

" problem created by the EU"?    You seem to suggest that the EU asked for a "divorce" rather than the UK...

Are you suggesting that, for example, when a wife demands a divorce, the husband cannot create problems over the divorce agreement?  If so, you have clearly never been involved in a divorce.  The EU did not want the UK to leave, so it is in their interests to create as many problems as possible, either to get the UK to change its mind, or as a negotiating tactic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Are you suggesting that, for example, when a wife demands a divorce, the husband cannot create problems over the divorce agreement?  If so, you have clearly never been involved in a divorce.

There is no “divorce agreement”

whatsoever. Such nonsense. 

2 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

The EU did not want the UK to leave, so it is in their interests to create as many problems as possible, either to get the UK to change its mind, or as a negotiating tactic.

The EU isn’t creating a problem. Brexit causes the Irish situation to become a problem, and that was clear before Brexit (unless you were a Brexiter living in lala land). 

• Like 1

Simple solution trucks need to stop and be checked by tax & customs when crossing the border, people cross freely, however if you catch a plane or ferry to the rest of UK you must pass through border check with govt issued photo id ( drivers licence, passport etc). I can't see the problem.

12 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

No it won't. Scotland would have a devil of a time getting in the EU. And the fraudster Sturgeon knows it.

Your take on things seems significantly at odds with most other experts re: Scotland's return to the EU. What is it that makes you think it will be problematic?

What fraudulent activities is Sturgeon guilty of (having a different opinion to you doesn't count)?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, flossie35 said:

The EU have made it clear from the start that there can be no customs border between Ireland and the UK. There are lots of very good reasons for this. The backstop is a bit of dodgy camouflage invented by the UK side, pretending that some technology will be discovered to make a border unnecessary. This is highly improbable. The backstop cannot have a terminal date because otherwise on reaching that date, in the absence of the fictitious technology, you'd need to set up a border. It has been clear from the outset that the only solution to this problem is for us to remain in the single market. (Or have a customs border down the Irish Sea; but that won't work either.)

So if the UK says there will be a border what will the EU do? Throw the UK out of the EU?

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, Esso49 said:

Come on Teresa, show those buggers what you are made of !    Resign now, you have done enough damage already before you give in again.

Pity you didn't have the same principles of Winston Churchill  - "We shall Never Surrender", rather than give in to everything

Yes, what a pity indeed! Winston Churchill stood up in Zurich on the September 19, 1946, and called for a 'United States of Europe' and he was called 'The Father of Europe' because of that speech.

What a bleeding mess our politicians have made of it all now.

21 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Why?  

The IRA agreed to disarm as part of the negotiations that led to the Good Friday Agreement. 

The ex members have committed to peaceful reunification...

And one very important component, possibly the most important one, of the Good Friday agreement was a completely open border.

I do not think that the Irish, no matter which side of the border they live on, will accept it any other way.

I predicted, long ago that this border issue would be the main stumbling block on the road to Brexit and it certainly seems to be coming true.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

And one very important component, possibly the most important one, of the Good Friday agreement was a completely open border.

I do not think that the Irish, no matter which side of the border they live on, will accept it any other way.

I predicted, long ago that this border issue would be the main stumbling block on the road to Brexit and it certainly seems to be coming true.

Agreed.

The Irish government have been trying to resolve the issues caused by brexit from day 1. 

The tories, true to form, did nothing until it was too late. 

And even then, their actions were ineffective and failed to adequately address the issues. 

1 hour ago, rott said:

Why would they want more fenians.

Maybe because most of us realise that we are living in the 21st century and that notions such as those you espouse belong in the past with all the other shameful examples of bigotry and small minded hatred that blighted our country. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Maybe because most of us realise that we are living in the 21st century and that notions such as those you espouse belong in the past with all the other shameful examples of bigotry and small minded hatred that blighted our country. 

Where does bigotry and small minded hatred come into it?

Oh I see, it is a different opinion to yours. I get it now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

If you cannot see what's wrong with your original post then I cannot help you. 

I will just have to try and get along without help then.

On the other hand if it helps you at all I am happy to delete fenian and insert republican.

• Like 1

Not give the UK the deal the UK desperately needs. 

Or are you still convinced the UK is holding all the aces here?

Far more convinced the EU doesn't hold the cards except it thinks it does.

As for desperately needed deal, remind me of the deficit versus surplus situation?

The primary flaw is Theresa May, she's attempting to be nice & diplomatic, instead she needs the attitude, drive & act like a ex-wife in a divorce settlement & being a relentless pain in the ass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You mean there should be a referendum to see whether they want Northern Ireland to continue as a British colonial possession or not?

That's what the name "United Kingdom" [instead of "Britain & Northern Ireland"] is - a contrivance to obfuscate.

Edited by Cat ji

On 10/22/2018 at 9:06 AM, fvw53 said:

" problem created by the EU"?    You seem to suggest that the EU asked for a "divorce" rather than the UK...

The problem was caused by politicians deceiving the people, when they transformed the ECC into the E.U. Without the explicit agreement of the people. 

Thankfully many Germans also now realise what the dictatorial Bureaucrats in Brussels have achieved.

Allthough I’m sure some remoaners on these threads, will try to discredit this persons veiws, based on what they have been fed in the controlled media.

On 10/23/2018 at 9:35 AM, Moonlover said:

It’s only a problem because the E.U is intent on making it a problem.

in the meantime Switzerland with borders to 5 E.U countries manages to carry out trade with the E.U with few if any problems.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 10:58 PM, Baerboxer said:

Only the majority of people in Northern Ireland want to be British not Irish.

Not according to the latest opinion polling, they don't. A poll conducted in Northern Ireland in September 2018, showed "52% of those surveyed backed a united Ireland with 39% showing support for Northern Ireland staying in the UK."

The results are thought to be heavily influenced by the desire of the majority of people in Northern Ireland to remain in the EU. 

And an earlier poll back last year (when a no-deal Brexit with a hard customs border no doubt seemed a less likely prospect) showed a lower percentage but still a majority in favour of reunification. See below.

Polling of Northern Ireland residents by LucidTalk in December 2017 found that - in the event of a so-called hard Brexit with no deal on the border, the Good Friday agreement or citizens’ rights - support for remaining in the EU through reunification with the Republic was marginally greater (48%) than support for staying in the UK (45%).

50 minutes ago, nontabury said:

It’s only a problem because the E.U is intent on making it a problem.

in the meantime Switzerland with borders to 5 E.U countries manages to carry out trade with the E.U with few if any problems.

Not many problems on the 4 - not 5 - borders to EU countries indeed, but it is absolutely NOT an open border.

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

The problem was caused by politicians deceiving the people, when they transformed the ECC into the E.U. Without the explicit agreement of the people. 

What country exactly was forced to join and remain in the EU against their will? 

Thankfully many Germans also now realise what the dictatorial Bureaucrats in Brussels have achieved.

You don’t have much clue about Germany. Most Germans are pretty happy to be in the EU. And watching the UK’s self-made chaos, even more so than before. 

Allthough I’m sure some remoaners on these threads, will try to discredit this persons veiws, based on what they have been fed in the controlled media.

“controlled media” lol. I hope you find a good therapist for your paranoia. Maybe consume less right-wing conspiracy theories. A good start would be watching less AfD and Gauland. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Thanks 1