Shaving

Jessi

28 minutes ago, robblok said:

The cuts i am talking about are minor.. don't even show up after drying off. The first time was a bit different more cuts but now that i am getting used to it it works better. 

Tourniquet ? that is  joke i take it ? sorry I have heard of salts that can stop bleeding so you might not joke but mean something like that.

Yes I was joking, thats an inside wet shaving joke about Feather blades, which are considered to be the sharpest blades in the world. I use toilet paper myself to stop the bleeding...in the same damn spot since 1973!

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Merkel futur clone is $10 on aliexpress (Ming Shi 2000s) and almost identical.

The question I always ask about clones and cheap alternatives is are they as good. I mean if you precision engineer something and get it from a reputed company your sure to get quality. 

Chinese clones.. maybe good maybe not. 

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Yes I was joking, thats an inside wet shaving joke about Feather blades, which are considered to be the sharpest blades in the world. I use toilet paper myself to stop the bleeding...in the same damn spot since 1973!

I just ordered muhle blades, not too expensive and rated high too. Anyway It seems that i will be shaving with this for a long time as i like it.

Problem is though that i havent found any good aftershave balm here in the Thai supermarkets

5 hours ago, robblok said:

I just recently went from Gilette with four blades to one of those old school razors (but a good one a Muhle). The first day I cut myself, second day too but less, third day almost no cuts anymore.

The shave is a bit slower then with a gilette 3 blades but its much more smooth than one too.  I also ordered a Merkur Futur (more advanced then the normal old school ones as it has different settings). I don't think Ill go back to gilette as this is far smoother. I also spend less on blades and foam. Though the initial cost of a good razor is high.

For those that are interested there are many websites about shaving and the concencus is that those old school razors are smoother then the gilette mach 3. This is because more of the blade is exposed (also why you can cut yourself more)

But havent been smooth like this ever.. maybe when i was still a boy *LOL*

I've never gotten a good shave with Gillette - whichever ones I used (never the cheapies)....I found Schick to be a much better blade.....A month+ old Schick was a better shave than a new comparable Gillette.....

I just stock up on Schick for a year plus whenever I'm where they are available & bring them in.....Even the one's I leave sitting in the RV in the states are still ok when we go back.....

Schick was apparently forced off the market here....There was a thread about that about 5 years back.....

For awhile I had the Braun with the chemical cleaner/recharger when in the states = a waste of time & money for an inferior shave.....

Easier just to lather up & shave in the shower.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robblok said:

I just ordered muhle blades, not too expensive and rated high too. Anyway It seems that i will be shaving with this for a long time as i like it.

Problem is though that i havent found any good aftershave balm here in the Thai supermarkets

I've tried Nivea, L'Occitane and Jean Paul Gaultier after shave balm that I bought here but I don't get on with any of the milky types of balms: they feel really greasy and my skin reacts badly to them. I prefer a normal alcohol after shave splash lotion and use a bit of vaseline on the part of my neck I sometimes manage to irritate. Calms it down quicker than anything else I've tried (by protecting it I think).

Edited by Mark1066
  • Like 1

I have a Phillips 7000 series,recently got new blades €46.I like it for the convenience I can have a shave anytime it has a clipper attachment for the odd hair you miss mainly on the throat.If you have to have a close shave get the latest Gillette multiblade it will do the chin and throat better than any electric razor.The top of the range Braun and Panasonic get good reviews ,if I have to replace the Phillips I may try a Braun.

On 10/19/2018 at 9:44 AM, robblok said:

Make your own.

Aloe Vera gel + Witch Hazel (50/50), mixed in a blender for 60 seconds, then poured into your old aftershave bottle.

Add a few drops of essential oil if you want it scented (Witch Hazel from iherb).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Make your own.

Aloe Vera gel + Witch Hazel (50/50), mixed in a blender for 60 seconds, then poured into your old aftershave bottle.

Add a few drops of essential oil if you want it scented (Witch Hazel from iherb).

Can you buy locally made witch hazel here? I've only seen imported Thayers on Lazada although I haven't actually looked for it in local stores yet.

I got 2 razors a Mercur future and a Muhle R41

The Muhle R41 is the most aggressive if I had to do it again i would only buy a Mercur Future as you can just change settings to get more aggressive.  

With aggressive i mean more of the knife comes in contact with the skin. But I like both more then the Gillette I used (Gillette 4 or 5 blades)

• Haha 1

Last year I saw a number of members commenting on the cost of shaving equipment. So I thought I would add my experience. I been living in Sisaket for the last 2 years and I was using Gillette shaving foam simply because I don't like menthol.

In late June 2018 I saw Barbisol on special without any menthol. I use a Gillette mach 4 with battery power. One blade lasts me 6 weeks after which it is then used on my head etc. Barbisol proved to be the best buy I have ever made. I started using in at the beginning of July and I have just bought my second can on October 20. That's 3 months 20 days on shaving at least once a day. You may ask how did I do that.?

Ask if you want to know

On 10/4/2018 at 12:18 PM, lopburi3 said:

Good luck - I have tried to use them off and on from age 20 to current 76 and have never found any that comfortable with.  They just do not shave anywhere near as close as a blade.  And with current multi blade shavers even cheaper blades are often very good.  I have been using Bic for last few years.

If you must have perhaps Aliexpress better than Lazada - even same items shipped directly from China are often a lot cheaper that a local reseller. 

Be careful buying Gillette blades from china or ebay, they're often fake and dull compared to the ones from home

16 hours ago, robblok said:

I got 2 razors a Mercur future and a Muhle R41

The Muhle R41 is the most aggressive if I had to do it again i would only buy a Mercur Future as you can just change settings to get more aggressive.  

With aggressive i mean more of the knife comes in contact with the skin. But I like both more then the Gillette I used (Gillette 4 or 5 blades)

Use the Futur for now, save the R41 for later.  Revisit it to see if in future it's still too aggressive for you.  You may find you still prefer the Futur, or maybe not.  (If you're newer to using a double-edged razor, your skill will improve and more-aggressive may start to work better for you down the line.  After a straight razor though, this should be a walk in the park??)

Edited by Katia
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

Be careful buying Gillette blades from china or ebay, they're often fake and dull compared to the ones from home

My comment was in reference to electric razors - Lazada is full of re-shipment sellers asking a lot more than buying directly from Aliexpress for Chinese items.  Indeed expensive blades are often fake when bought from small sellers - online or off.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katia said:

Use the Futur for now, save the R41 for later.  Revisit it to see if in future it's still too aggressive for you.  You may find you still prefer the Futur, or maybe not.  (If you're newer to using a double-edged razor, your skill will improve and more-aggressive may start to work better for you down the line.  After a straight razor though, this should be a walk in the park??)

I think that is a good plan right now I have used the Futur 2 times and both times were better as my R41. Better as in easier and equally smooth shave. I like that you can change settings with Futur. So you can shave more aggressive if you like. 

Always used gilette mach 3 or mach 3 turbo believe 4 blades.

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

I like that you can change settings with Futur. So you can shave more aggressive if you like.

Yes, I have a vintage (1963, if memory serves?) Gillette Fatboy and the adjustment is useful, depending on the blade I have in and what I'm doing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Katia said:

Yes, I have a vintage (1963, if memory serves?) Gillette Fatboy and the adjustment is useful, depending on the blade I have in and what I'm doing.

I always have my Futur clone (Ming Shi) on the lowest setting, else I cut myself about 2x a shave.

The blades last 1-2 months each. It was a big mistake buying a pack of 100, they will probably last longer than me (less than $10).

Edited by BritManToo

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I always have my Futur clone (Ming Shi) on the lowest setting, else I cut myself about 2x a shave.

The blades last 1-2 months 4 each. It was a big mistake buying a pack of 100, they will probably last longer than me (less than $10).

I bought a "starter pack" of blades years ago when I got my first DE razor (an Edwin Jagger DE89).  I swear they are going to last me forever-- since most guys seem to say they can get 3-4 shaves out of a blade, one blade for me can last at least a month since my legs are shaved less often than most faces (and I tend to push my luck with replacing blades, I won't lie... after a while I gave up on keeping track of how many shaves a blade had on it and now tend to do more of "eh, can't remember when I last changed, better do it" or "eh, it's no longer cutting/it's slicing up my legs {or both: "I'm bleeding and still prickly"}, need a new blade").

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The blades last 1-2 months 4 each. It was a big mistake buying a pack of 100, they will probably last longer than me (less than $10).

hmmm i hear (read) that people use a blade 4-6 times.. I also ordered 100 blades based on that info from my home country. Real cheap parents will bring it. But if they last that long then the blades will outlive me.

On 10/23/2018 at 9:20 AM, Katia said:

1961 was the last year they made Fatboys; after that it was the Slim. You can easily check by looking at the date code stamped on the bottom of the head of your razor, on either side of the handle. E= 1959, F = 1960, G = 1961. The letter will be on the left side and there will be a number on the right side, which refers to the quarter in which the razor was produced, i.e. 1, 2, 3 or 4.

Edited by Mark1066
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 9:31 AM, robblok said:

hmmm i hear (read) that people use a blade 4-6 times.. I also ordered 100 blades based on that info from my home country. Real cheap parents will bring it. But if they last that long then the blades will outlive me.

Depends on the blade and how tough your stubble is but I can only use most of them 3-4 times. They start to get very rough after that. At around $10-15 for a hundred, or less in some cases, I don't see the point of trying to make them last much longer than that, even though my parents were also 'cheap' in many ways - I think it came from growing up during & immediately after WWII (them, not me!).

Edited by Mark1066

3 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

1961 was the last year they made Fatboys; after that it was the Slim. You can easily check by looking at the date code stamped on the bottom of the head of your razor, on either side of the handle. E= 1959, F = 1960, G = 1961. The letter will be on the left side and there will be a number on the right side, which refers to the quarter in which the razor was produced, i.e. 1, 2, 3 or 4.

Must be a '61, then.  It's been years since I looked up the date.