Alcohol sales forbidden on October 24 for end of Buddhist Lent

webfact

23 hours ago, DM07 said:

...and again, religious zealots tell everybody else what to do and to spy and tell on your neighbors! 3rd world and forever will be!

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So, for you it is totally impossible to buy your alcohol you need the day before? There is also a fact that there are many tourists and expat zealots that can not accept the rules in the country they choose to stay in or visit. Complaining rules!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Here we go again with the closet and overt alcoholics who cannot survive even one day without imbibing. Geez. If you don't want to give your liver a rest, why can't you you simply stock up a day or two ahead of the ban? Or have you killed so many brain cells you can't even remember to do that?

I enjoy a whisky or two myself, so put a hold on the accusations of being a wowser.

For many having a drink is a social event and not something to be done skulking behind locked doors.

In the house I would rather have a cup of tea.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Quick lesson.

Food ?   Woof

Happy?  Woof

Tired?   Woof

Walk  Woof woof "rising tone"

Danke schon!    Ooops sorry, posts must be in English. Ta!

Edited by wgdanson

11 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Next year the date of this special day will be October 13th, put it in your diary!

Actually I have the Thaivisa calendar (on my PC, not on my wall) so I am aware of these days but it is very useful to get a reminder. Early AM not 4pm would be ideal or even 36 to 48 hours before.

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

No alcohol sales and the usual 7-10 page of Groundhog Day comment- get over it!

It is the bar closures that gets to people, or rather in certain areas whether or not the police will enforce them. 

Those who drink at home probably have sufficient stock or at least sufficient notice.

As usual nobody is 100% sure what the police will do.

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

This started iff as a serious thread. And now ?????? 

It's difficult to take it seriously though. One day and it's not as though missing going to a bar for one day is the end of the world.

Have a few friends around for a few beers and sausage sandwiches, no-one is going to arrest or deport you.

• Like 2

Why do they inform on alcohol fines, boring posted before but that was troll apparently doesn't make any sense, police want to use religion as a money collection, if anyone should report anyone they should report the police to the army as being corrupted.  

7 hours ago, Essaybloke said:

I think you've missed the point. This has nothing to do with that totally unsubstantiated generalisation you made; there is a principle at stake.

What principle? We are guests in Thailand. Is it too much for them to expect we should respect their laws and customs? We would certainly expect it of them in our countries of origin.

Such a storm in a teacup over something which should not even be an inconvenience to anyone rational. Bloody pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

What principle? We are guests in Thailand. Is it too much for them to expect we should respect their laws and customs? We would certainly expect it of them in our countries of origin.

Such a storm in a teacup over something which should not even be an inconvenience to anyone rational. Bloody pathetic.

I’m with some Thai friends in Chiang Mai and none of us are respecting the alcohol ban law. But we are drinking with newspaper wrapped around our beer bottles. A request of the local police in the area apparently. 

During Buddhist lent I have refrained from corruption, lying for monetary purposes, and lying in any cases that could lead to the detriment of others’ physical or mental well-being. I haven’t really scarified anything as it’s how I live my life anyway. I’ve been an almost exemplary Buddhist follower and I’m an atheist. 

I think if Buddha were watching (and he isn’t because he’s not a diety and dieties don’t exist anyway) he would be very pleased. 

Edited by rkidlad

Here we go again with the closet and overt alcoholics who cannot survive even one day without imbibing. Geez. If you don't want to give your liver a rest, why can't you you simply stock up a day or two ahead of the ban? Or have you killed so many brain cells you can't even remember to do that?
I enjoy a whisky or two myself, so put a hold on the accusations of being a wowser.
When you were a young buck chomping at the bit to get to Pattaya from your miserably cold winter did it occur to you to search the web for Buddhist lent? That's rhetorical

This is not about locals who mostly are aware but for tourists who are forced to buy into some buhdist fantasy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, blackhorse said:

When you were a young buck chomping at the bit to get to Pattaya from your miserably cold winter did it occur to you to search the web for Buddhist lent? That's rhetorical

This is not about locals who mostly are aware but for tourists who are forced to buy into some buhdist fantasy

Say, know anywhere to buy beer in Bangkok? I was completely unaware of this Buddhist lent alcohol ban. I went out tonight and rode a bus for a half hour down to the bars and then I found out. It was pretty hilarious, but I still feel like smashing a cold Singha 22. How about after midnight? I was told on Sukhumvit that they would serve beer in bars after midnight, but some people online are saying it's not happening. 

Oh, forgot they usually stop selling at midnight don't they? How about a bar, or will I have to wait till tomorrow.

In 7/11 you will most likely not be able to buy (at least not before 24:00) and if bars has got a ban to serve alcohol then most bars will most likely be closed, but as soon as you go out of any city center you can buy at most/many shops that are still open.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, HOAX said:

In 7/11 you will most likely not be able to buy (at least not before 24:00) and if bars has got a ban to serve alcohol then most bars will most likely be closed, but as soon as you go out of any city center you can buy at most/many shops that are still open.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ok, cool. How about near Khao San. 

11 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

Yeah, agreed. I a think a lot of us had no idea.