Mutual Fund Reviews

Anyone has advice on my approach for finding funds.....

Approach

1. objective - return min 5 to 6%, stable, not too many risks

2. Downloaded from morning start performance of all Thai Funds with 10y,5y,3y,1y and YTD performance

3. Used average of those periods of returns, and used SD (standard deviation) to screen out any stocks which swing too much in a year )

I got out of the stock market a few months back, and the last few days drastic drop might be a time to monitor to re-invest. 

Results ( out of about 200 ) 

MS = Morning Start

Fund.thumb.png.15a66a84e56b08c07192b54a889bcf83.png

Any advice appreciated

Do you mean LH MS Flexible? In no way could it be described as "not too many risks".  Investment objective:  "Invest in equities in Thailand securities market and/or mai, which mainly invest in small and medium-sized enterprises stocks no less than 80% of net asset value."

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

Do you mean LH MS Flexible? In no way could it be described as "not too many risks".  Investment objective:  "Invest in equities in Thailand securities market and/or mai, which mainly invest in small and medium-sized enterprises stocks no less than 80% of net asset value."

Thanks... which one was LH MS Flexible ?   I too the data of Morning Star. Risks - ok, equity is more risky than others. Having been in the Thai stock market, I would say not all equities are high risk ie I have had DIF and some other infrastructure funds, and the needle barely budges when we have huge sell offs, and gives me a stable return of 6.5% ( around there ) 

one of the Monringstar ones rated at low risk ( in relation to other  funds ), was CIMB-Principal Property Income-R - looking at it, its in property, and a majority in developed Asian market.

Simply put - looking to place retirement money somewhere safe and hoping for min 5% + return versus bank 0.5%

Edited by skippybangkok

When I read MS, I'd thought that was the fund that you'd decided upon.

Given your requirements, property and infrastructure would be sensible choices.  A physical property fund would be best, but I don't think there's anything available in Thailand.  Property shares exhibit equity market characteristics.  (I.e. when the general market is down, the property share prices will be dragged down, too, and vice versa.)

There are a number of similar funds investing in Thai and Singapore property shares, such as TMBAM's PIPF and Phatra's PHATRA PROP-D spring to mind.  It's worth taking a close look at the charges.  For example (from memory) TMBAM doesn't charge initial and exit charges, but has a relatively high annual charge.  And given your circumstances, you may want a fund that does not pay a dividend which is (a) taxable, and (b) needs to be reinvested.

As for infrastructure, there's a fund manager out there which offers a FIF holding Lazard Global Listed Infrastructure (or it might be First State's infrastructure fund - not sure).  Might be worth identifying and having a look at.

Generally speaking, however, it will be cheaper if you can invest offshore, rather than in funds in Thailand.

When I read MS, I'd thought that was the fund that you'd decided upon.

Given your requirements, property and infrastructure would be sensible choices.  A physical property fund would be best, but I don't think there's anything available in Thailand.  Property shares exhibit equity market characteristics.  (I.e. when the general market is down, the property share prices will be dragged down, too, and vice versa.)

There are a number of similar funds investing in Thai and Singapore property shares, such as TMBAM's PIPF and Phatra's PHATRA PROP-D spring to mind.  It's worth taking a close look at the charges.  For example (from memory) TMBAM doesn't charge initial and exit charges, but has a relatively high annual charge.  And given your circumstances, you may want a fund that does not pay a dividend which is (a) taxable, and (b) needs to be reinvested.

As for infrastructure, there's a fund manager out there which offers a FIF holding Lazard Global Listed Infrastructure (or it might be First State's infrastructure fund - not sure).  Might be worth identifying and having a look at.

Generally speaking, however, it will be cheaper if you can invest offshore, rather than in funds in Thailand.

Thanks - very helpful - the property you talked about was my thinking

Worked onshore for a long time and don’t want to convert / send out since I will most likely live till my last breath

Have some stuff offshore too in $AUD

Was looking at Hyperion in Oz, the returns seem too good to be true. Up until now, the only good returns I have had were of my own investments , ie xxx bank in Singapore Citi - crap advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app