A BIG thank you

colinneil

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I see a lot of underinflated bicycle tyres around Pattaya, people don't seem to realise you lose 1-5 psi a day

Interesting observation that one scuba......I see a money making opportunity for any intrepid member carrying (as you do of course) a bike pump around with themselves :thumbsup:

p.s. no offence intended,just being a little mischievous :wai:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I see a lot of underinflated bicycle tyres around Pattaya, people don't seem to realise you lose 1-5 psi a day

I have noticed the same but was thinking 'Tourists don't seem to realise they gain 1-5 lbs a day whilst on holiday.'

Thanks for sharing Colin, always good to read a happy ending story.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

People don't realise that soft tyres are more prone to punctures - not only 'pinch' flats, but also the soft tyre spreads over more of the road so more likely to pick up objects, and it envelops them rather than riding over them.  

Before I got a floor pump I was plagued with punctures, some inexplicable - probably pinch flats, but also loads more little pieces of wire than I get now.

SC  

I often wonder about these motocy with skinny tyres and 3+ bodies on board. At what point does a tyre say "enough of this s**t" and blow out, causing loss of control?

You are right, Colin, there are many helpful Thai out there. The problem is, not many are "hiso".

Edited by Grusa
Addendum
  • Like 2

On 10/26/2018 at 7:43 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I've had a similar experience where they come out of the woodwork to help. Shows negative people on this forum should be ignored.

I'm not sure its the same in hospitals

Yes, I once came out of Tops in Tukcom , both hands loaded with shopping bags, did a sudden ankle twist when I reached the street and went down scraping my knee and shopping bags asunder. A food cart vendor, motorcy taxi driver and two random passersby resurrected me and my shopping bags. Very embarrassing, but very nice at the same time.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

On 10/26/2018 at 11:14 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I think that's why they like to put 120 PSI  in so no need to top up for a month or 2.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, petermik said:

Interesting observation that one scuba......I see a money making opportunity for any intrepid member carrying (as you do of course) a bike pump around with themselves :thumbsup:

p.s. no offence intended,just being a little mischievous :wai:

The tyres on the bicycles of my 3 grandkids go down pretty fast. I know nothing about this subject, can you easily buy better quality inner tubes that don't lose air so quickly or don't lose any air ever?  In Chiang Mai.

Re cars, I've been trying unsuccessfully to tell my adult Thai son (he's totally not mechanical, no knowledge whatever of cars) that it's not good to add 20% - 25% more air past the recommended pressure to his car tyres. He's been convinced to do this by his lifetime school buddy who works as an assembler in a car factory.

More, about a year back the staff at one of the big well signed places that sell tyres, fix brakes, batteries etc., convinced him that all tyres have a fixed life of 2 years, and should be replaced before 2 tyres regardless of the tread wear, even if the car gets very limited use.  Still trying to convince him it's not true.

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Great. I was going to ask if you were sorted and if a new tyre was needed.

Do you have spare wheels and tyres, are they readily available here? If the wheel is easily changed maybe carry a spare and the relevant box spanner for next time (if you have a spare there won't be a next time, life is like that). OK you won't be able to do it yourself (actually if you can catch chickens I wouldn't put changing a wheel past you) but, as you've found, there are many people who will assist.

Crossy, yes sorted local bike repairman fixed it.

Surprisingly tube and tyre were available in Banphai.

Yes i would be able to change a wheel myself, if the need arose, getting a spare would not be easy, i asked about that he said never seen a wheel like that before, can you ask? 

He did ask as was given the standard answer here.... Mia mee.

Edited by colinneil

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

He did ask as was given the standard answer here.... Mia mee.

I reckon the manufacturer ($$$) or fleabay is going to be your friend on this one should you decide to look into it.

6 minutes ago, colinneil said:

The scooter i have is an Extreme 420, it was imported from the USA, not by me.

Three years ago i saw a member on here advertise it, he was selling it on behalf of a Thai lady, who had been left it by an American who had it imported, sadly he died days after it arrived, and i purchased it.

Prakonchai Nick, went to Naklua, and did the deal, Jip99 went and collected it, and brought it here for me.

I never heard of that model i suppose with it being from the USA, the scooters i used to sell were mainly from Taiwan, called the Shoprider, really good machines. Not sure what size your tyres are but did you know you can get puncture proof tyres?

The tyres on the bicycles of my 3 grandkids go down pretty fast. I know nothing about this subject, can you easily buy better quality inner tubes that don't lose air so quickly or don't lose any air ever?  In Chiang Mai.

How frequently do you pump them up? On a kids bike every 2-3 weeks is probably ok. On my road bike its every 3-7 days. If you had a pressure gauge you'll see how much they are losing a day. You could even have slow punctures.

I check my tyres after every ride for stones, glass, metal